The Crown

Discuss TV Show Here

Moderator: Prefects

Emily Spencer
Comet 180

The Crown

Post by Emily Spencer »

Does anyone else watch this Netflix Original Series? After two years, it's finally back for Season 3, which promises to be quite exciting. I'm not sure if I like the cast change of the principle characters from Foy & Smith, but that may be because I'm partial to Smith (blame Doctor Who ). It's hard to see anyone else in the roles, if that makes sense. On the plus side, they do have Helen Bonheim Carter as Princess Margaret, so that' a definite plus.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Re: The Crown

Post by Gail Allen »

I am watching it right now. I am already half way through the 3rd season and though I do find it hard to change actors it does fit better with the change in age and the voices are still quite similar which was one of my biggest fears.
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

I agree that if they were going to change the actors, they picked good replacements. It's my understanding that it's set to be a 6-year run, with actor changes every two years, which actually makes sense if you think about it.
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

I never miss this series! I know there was some drama over how realistic the series was, but in my mind it carries the label DocuDrama precisely because it's a mashup of drama and documentary, and NOT a biography of the royal family. I think they got some things correct, and some things not so much. If you look at photos during the time period, I thought Prince Edward was rather attractive, and Prince Andrew rather ordinary :lol:

I loved Helena Bonham Carter's performance as Princess Margaret, and Erin Doherty as Princess Anne. I don't think Princess Diana's charisma was captured, or her ability to look truly happy when she was actually very unhappy - no one at the time suspected there were any issues in her marriage, for example. I also believe Prince Charles gave the marriage his best shot for several years. I just don't think they, as individuals, were well suited. They were just too different.

But the series is great fun, and very watchable. It does has some adult themes, however.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

I agree with February, HBC killed it as Princess Margaret! Of course, I generally like her in most roles, so there is that B)

With the death of Prince Philip, it will be rather bittersweet to watch the show now. I know they're still going back and forth about whether there will be a Season 6 or if they will end with Season 5. As much as I would love for them to go for six seasons, given the circumstances, I think it might be prudent to end it after 5. Thoughts?
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Post by Gail Allen »

I think since season 6 wouldn't bring it into the most recent territory anyway, it would be fine to let it go on to season 6. Probably not further though. It would start to get a little close to things that are still too recent and I would also completely understand if they chose to cut it before season 6 and call it a day.
I hope they won't though for purely selfish reasons; I want to see more the Crown. I might just have to rewatch (again). I already rewatched season 1-4 before season 5 came out to make sure I remembered everything.
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

Gail Allen wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:26 pm I hope they won't though for purely selfish reasons; I want to see more the Crown. I might just have to rewatch (again). I already rewatched season 1-4 before season 5 came out to make sure I remembered everything.
I'm definitely with you on that one, Gail. For selfish reasons, I hope they do go for 6 seasons. I'm going to be rewatching it (again) pretty soon myself.

Return to “TV Talk”