March Prompt: Dark and Suspenseful

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

March Prompt: Dark and Suspenseful

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Book Club takes on Thrillers this month. 'Thriller' is a literary genre, and it means books which are "dark, engrossing, and suspenseful plot-driven stories. They very seldom include comedic elements."

What suspenseful books have you read where you find yourself glued to the pages? Or maybe the whole book might not be a thriller, but can have 'dark, engrossing and suspenseful' moments in it which enrich the whole story. When reading these books, is there a particular scenario which appeals to you more than another?

What suspenseful elements are in the Harry Potter books which remind you of what you have read in other books (or vice versa)?

For some reason I remember the Twilight books (hush). :D I found it very suspenseful when the Volturi were being visited in Italy! I'd sort of gotten used to the vampires, the renegades, all of them. But there was something about the Volturi which was very spooky.

Your write-up needs to be at least 200 words to count towards Beans (and any possible award)! If you post a graphic, please keep it to 600x600 or smaller, and write a brief description underneath what the graphic depicts.

You will receive 20 Beans when you post. Any replies in here, through the school year, will be credited towards a possible award. As always, please keep to HOL appropriate sources for your post.

There is no deadline as such for these prompts but if you’d like it to count towards your chance of earning the award for a specific year, we’ll need it by the end of that school year. If you’re comfortable sharing, then post below. If not, email your story to us via hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces).

Remember to click preview before posting to look for spelling and grammatical errors -- or see if auto-correct changed what you wanted to write to something entirely else!
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Hannah Lovegood
Oakshaft 79

Re: March Prompt: Dark and Suspenseful

Post by Hannah Lovegood »

All of the Harry Potter books are suspenseful.

In Deathly Hallows, it was really suspenseful when Harry got hit by the killing curse because I didn't know if he had died or if he was still alive. Then he started talking to Dumbledore so I still didn't know if he was dead. I'm wondering where Harry was when he was talking to Dumbledore. I was glad that Harry was ok.

In Chamber of Secrets, it was very suspenseful when Harry Potter was broken out of his room at the Dursleys by the Weasleys. I think the Weasleys were the heroes other than Harry Potter. Harry had to sneak around his room grabbing stuff but he was also very excited to be broken out of his room. I was worried that maybe Dudley was going to wake up and find him out of his bed and call for his parents. The Dursleys would have come and grabbed Harry and put him in his cupboard. Fred and George and Ron would have probably hijacked it.

In Deathly Hallows, it was also very suspenseful when Harry was trying to get away from Voldemort and get to Tonks' place. Everyone was battling and I was concerned that someone might fall off their broomstick or one of the good characters get hit by the killing curse.

Return to “Between the Pages”