Revisiting Video Games

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Revisiting Video Games

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

A short while ago, my current high-end gaming laptop broke and it had to go to a laptop doctor. Meanwhile, since I cannot really do without one, I managed to find my old one somewhere in storage. It is around 8-10 years old and I am using it until my high-end one is fixed.

On my newer laptop, I had all the latest games that came out in the last three or so years and have some of the best graphics. Since I am a gaming aficionado, I decided to check out the games that are more on the "older" side on the laptop that I am using as a back-up.

Man, oh man, did that nostalgia hit. Sure, they are not decades old, as some true classics, but these games were there during key moments in my life and still hold up, despite not having the best graphics or at times, campy stories.

Mass Effect 1, GTA; San Andreas, Assassin's Creed 1, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind, Fallout: New Vegas, X-Men: Legends Rise of the Apocalypse, these are all games that I loved nearly a decade or so ago and am now fervently replaying.

What are older games you still find yourself replaying or revisiting today? Do you prefer them to newer ones? Why, why not?
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.

Tags:
Ethan Freckelton
No broom

Re: Revisiting Video Games

Post by Ethan Freckelton »

I often go back to the original Assassin's Creed games as well. I prefer them to the newer ones as they are a lot simpler and they don't seem to try as hard. But still love the new ones!
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

My favourite video game, by far, is the 1988 arcade version of Tetris: three different starting points, gameplay changing every few levels to keep things fresh (while keeping the same goals throughout), clear views of progress, and fun catchy music. Sadly there aren't that many arcades around, but these days computers can give us very close approximations!
Amethyst Silvermane
No broom

Post by Amethyst Silvermane »

I will never lose my love of video games. Even with all the new games coming out, bare in mind I am looking forward to when Hogwarts Legacy finally comes out. But back on the subject of old video games, for some reason they will always hold a special place in my heart especially The Dragon Age Series, especially the first one which was Origins, the last one Inquisition was a far too buggy for me to enjoy to the fullest. The Zelda series will also forever hold a special part of my heart as well, especially Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword
Alexis Dawn
No broom

Post by Alexis Dawn »

Thinking about old games, there’s only one that sticks out and I can’t even remember it’s name haha

It was a Rahman game, I think you had to save a fairy princess from the blue frogs that kidnapped her? It was so fun, definitely favourite game from my childhood. Would love to buy an old PS2 and see if I could still play it…
Sallix Pegasus
No broom

Post by Sallix Pegasus »

I'm constantly going back to play Fire Emblem games that I have access to. I also play Pokemon games on my actual Game Boy Color. I'll also go back and play the Harvest Moon games on the GBA and PS1, before they started getting a bit weird and not like the old ones hahaha. Radiata Stories is also a game that I have fond memories of and I will play occasionally.
Mia Fountain
Silver Arrow

Post by Mia Fountain »

I don't usually tend to replay games. Though I have replayed a few of the Pokemon games. I usually prefer the newer games, since I want to experience new storylines.
Evie Figg
Oakshaft 79

Post by Evie Figg »

Every once and a while I find myself playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Super Mario Bros and the old Pokemon on my Gameboy. I have always managed to keep something I can play those games on.. whether it be an emulator or a different console, I love going back to play the games I played as a kid.
Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Post by Adeline Morior »

I like to revisit Dune and Hitman (the first games) on pc and I love arcade games. I tend to also revisit some of the first Nintendo and ps1 games.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Games Talk”