Trivia!

Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Rachel Selenia »

Hey everyone!

This trivia works like this:
I will post 30 questions, all related to Hobbits in some way.You have until Sunday 31st of January, 11:59pm HOL time to submit the answers to me by PM.Each correct answer will earn you 2 mushrooms (ie. points – Hobbits love mushrooms…). If you get all answers correct, you will get an extra 5 mushrooms!If you’re an official HOLTS member, your mushrooms will also be counted as points in the HOLTS Championship.There will be two awards – one for the HOLTS member who gets most correct answers, and one for the non-HOLTS member who gets most correct answers.
Good luck to everyone!

------------------------

How tall are most Hobbits?Which colours are Hobbits most fond of?How many meals do the Hobbits want to eat each day?Name the three different Hobbit breeds.What was the name of the inn where Frodo and his friends met Strider?How old was Peregrin Took when he gave up his title as Thain of The Shire and rode away into the countries of the south?Who did Samwise Gamgee marry?What were the names of Frodo Baggins' parents?Around Bree there are three other villages. Name them!Which Hobbit helped Éowyn to defeat the Witchking?What Hobbit-family was the most important in the Shire?Name 6 of the Dwarves that accompanied Bilbo Baggins on his journey to the Lonely Mountain.What are the three best pipe-weed varieties?Where did Bilbo Baggins find the One Ring?What was the name of Gollum's friend who found the One Ring?What or who did Peregrin Took see in the palantír?Who wants to have Bilbo Baggins' house?What does Samwise Gamgee call his father?How old was Bilbo Baggins when he left The Shire during his birthday party?What were Merry and Pippin captured by in the Old Forest?How many guests were there at Bilbo Baggins' birthday party in "The Fellowship of the Ring"?What was the name of Samwise Gamgee's first daughter?Who brought Merry to Minas Tirith for the Battle of the Pelennor Fields?What was the name of the pony the fellowship brought with them all the way to the Gates of Moria?How many children did Frodo Baggins get?What were the names of farmer Maggot's dogs?In what Age did the War of the Ring take place?How many Hobbits were Ringbearers?What "nickname" was given to Bandobras Took?Which village is the Bracegirdle Family associated with?
Rachel Selenia || Hufflepuff || Professor Emeritus
Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

As I have already announced in The Great Hall, we have decided to extend the deadline for this activity.
The new deadline is Sunday, January 7th, 11:59pm HOL time!
Eliza Ithil
Moontrimmer

Post by Eliza Ithil »

You mean Feb 7th, correct?

Hey.. Are you seriously a Hanson fan?! Well, I guess everyone has their own taste in music; but, why?! haha. Thanks for posting this game; it's amazing.
Last edited by Eliza Ithil on Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to Jacenta, owner of Sig N Av Palace, for this amazing signature and av!
Wand: 8 3/4 inches, willow, griffin tail feather
United States
Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

No, I mean this Sunday, January 7th. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> We figured 2 weeks would be enough to run this contest, so this is still the correct deadline.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

I think the confusion in dates is because of the first post saying this:
QUOTE You have until Sunday 31st of January, 11:59pm HOL time to submit the answers to me by PM.[/quote]

But since January 31st is a Wednesday, and December 31st is a Sunday, I just figured that Rachel had a time-turner and was already in another month? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

*runs and hides from Rachel*
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

*LOL* Now I get why you were confused! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Yes, I wrote incorrect in the first post. *hides in shame* I should have checked that before I posted. ><

But the deadline is tomorrow, 11:59 pm HOL-time! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Neia Black

Post by Neia Black »

Awww I wanted to enter!!!!!!
Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Post by Niniel Sanders »

Hey by the way, when will results be up? not that it's a hurry or anything ok so it is /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> but just I'm interested in knowing the correct answers to the ones I was uncertain about...
so do we know when we might get the results or at least the correct answers? (I guess you can say I'm the kind of person who gets bugged when she doesn't know the answer to something or is in doubt about it)
Eliza Ithil
Moontrimmer

Post by Eliza Ithil »

Hey, just wanted to make sure you received my answers. thank goodness for the internet... I never knew there were three types of pipe-weed. I don't know how I made it to this point without knowing that. I'm just kidding... ok, I'm shutting up.
United States
Venefica vom Lehn
No broom

Post by Venefica vom Lehn »

I'm also curious how many I got correct... /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

I did know that there were several types of type-weed, but I could remember only one from the top of my head. Well, after I looked it up, I thought that I should have remembered one other as well, as it's mentioned in the film. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Eliza, if you didn't know there were three different types, maybe you should go and read the preface-thingy to LotR. There's a lot of information on Hobbits to be found there! I got nearly all the answers I didn't know by heart from there. *nods*
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.
Taken from 50% Chance of Lightning by Cristina Salat.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has ever felt so right and natural and true and good.
Taken from Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden.
Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

I'm sorry that I kept you waiting. RL has been busy, with school starting and all... /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />
But here are the results and the answers!

Correct answers2 to 4 feetYellow and green6Harfoots, Stoors, FallohidesThe Prancing Pony94Rose Cotton / Rosie CottonDrogo Baggins, Primula BrandybuckStaddle, Combe, ArchetMeriadoc BrandybuckThe Tooks (of the Westfarthing)6 out of these: Dwalin, Balin, Kili, Fili, Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, ThorinLongbottom Leaf, Old Toby, Southern StarIn Gollum's cave / In a tunnel under the Misty MountainsDeagolSauronLobelia Sackville-Baggins / The Sackville-BagginsesThe Gaffer111Old Man Willow144
I realized too late that this could be misinterpreted... What I actually meant was "How many guests were invited". Sorry about that!ElanorÉowyn / DernhelmBillNoneGrip, Fang, WolfThird AgeThree (Bilbo, Frodo, Samwise)
I decided to not count Deagol and Smeagol/Gollum, as they were some kind of ancient Hobbits.BullroarerHardbottle

I hope you're okay with the answers, and that you won't kill me if you disagree with some of them! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

And here are the winners!

Winner of those who are not official HOLTS members, with 33.5 mushrooms, is...
Merry Notters!!

And the winner of those who are official HOLTS members, with amazing 65 mushrooms and every answer correct (!), is...
Niniel Sanders!!

Congratulations to both of you! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Here are the results for the rest of you who entered:

Elnariel Lasvereth – 59 mushrooms
Padmé Undómiel – 59 mushrooms
Venefica vom Lehn – 57 mushrooms
Eliza Ithil – 56.5 mushrooms
Tarma Black – 56 mushrooms

For everyone who is an official HOLTS members, these mushrooms will also count as points for the HOLTS Championship. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thank you to everyone who participated! We hope to see you in upcoming activities!
Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Here's Merry's award:

Prof. Rachel Selenia
Silver Arrow

Here's Niniel's award:

Merry Notters
Oakshaft 79

Post by Merry Notters »

Thanks, Rachel and, congrats to Niniel and, the rest who entered /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />. If I may ask, what does HOLT stand for? Also, where do we put the picture, in our signatures?
Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Post by Niniel Sanders »

Merry Notters wrote:QUOTE (Merry Notters @ Jan 14 2007, 07:14 PM) Thanks, Rachel and, congrats to Niniel and, the rest who entered /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />. If I may ask, what does HOLT stand for? Also, where do we put the picture, in our signatures?
Thank you and congratulations yourself and all else who entered.
This was a really funny activity, it would be fun to have more of them!
I wouldn't mind helping putting some together if that would help to get more games like this.

And answers to your questions:
HOLTS (I suppose you mean HOLTS and not HOLT) = HOL Tolkien Society, it's a club at HOL that all are welcome to join. Maybe you would like to join since it seems you're interested in Tolkien?
The picture in the signature should be uploaded on another page like photobucket for instance. Then go to my controls at the upper right.
Then Edit signature to the left about half way down.
Then insert the URL to the image between these things [img ] [ /img] (Remember to delete the spaces)
Then save it and voila.. a signature has been made.

Hope this was answer to your questions
Last edited by Niniel Sanders on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merry Notters
Oakshaft 79

Post by Merry Notters »

Yes, it does. Thanks, Niniel. I'll be sure to join and, put the picture in my signature /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />.
Eliza Ithil
Moontrimmer

Post by Eliza Ithil »

Thanks... But, I only got one wrong. So, I'm a little confused.
Last edited by Eliza Ithil on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
United States
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Thank you for this Trivia Quiz!

Those are very nice awards, Merry and Niniel! Congratulations. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Venefica vom Lehn
No broom

Post by Venefica vom Lehn »

Thank you for posting the answers, Rachel!

Congratulations, Merry and Niniel! Well done!
And well done to everybody else, too, of course! All the results were really good, I'm impressed! *hands out some chocolate*

And when I read through the answers, and then went back to check the questions - I felt so stupid. I misread "The Old Forest" as "Fangorn Forest" and wrote Treebeard instead of Old Man Willow. *grins* Ouch. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
Maybe life is like rain. Alive if you let it be; lousy and depressing if you don't.
Taken from 50% Chance of Lightning by Cristina Salat.

~ venefica vom Lehn ~ Staff-member of the HOLTolkienSociety ~ Hufflepuff Seventh Year ~

Nothing has ever felt so right and natural and true and good.
Taken from Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Me, too, Vene!

And Frodo instead of Bilbo Baggins. O.o /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I really need to give better attention and read the questions fully; I do the same in quidditch, and come up with a PERFECTLY good answer ... to a different question than what is there. Ooops. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Return to “HOLTS Activities”