Making Runes

Class led by Prof. Felicia Hartwick

Moderator: Felicia

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

I was communicating with Professor Wastl about the making of runes for myself. He's evidently going to be putting in here (or someplace) a recipe for salt dough, to make runes from flour.

But while I'm waiting for that recipe to show up, I called a local craft store and found out that I can buy popsicle sticks (wooden) -- 150 for $3.00 (that is the price that the person quoted me). This is a lot less than tongue depressors! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

And I really think that the wooden popsicle sticks will last longer than flour runes -- but I want to make the flour ones anyway because I like doing things like ceramics and clay and it seems like it will be a lot of fun even if it is a little messy. *halo*

Anyway, I asked him if I should post my discovery in here and he said 'yes', so here it is.
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Post by Niniel Sanders »

Just a note from someone who's tried the salt dough-trick often.
That kind of 'bread' is very durable and it's not like it's going to rot or something like that. We've had the same salt dough things since before I was born and they're still in fine working order.

Just as an aside..

*runs out of the class-room again*
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Niniel! Come back!

What is the recipe that you have?

I posted a recipe for salt dough in here (post #6) but I don't know if it is a tried-and-true recipe (I think he got it off the internet?). I'd love to know what the recipe is that your family uses.

What else do you make with salt dough?
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Post by Niniel Sanders »

hehe, well, I have two recipies actually. One for fast and one for better.

Fast:
4 Flour
1 Salt
1 Water
Bake for about one hour (or untill dry and slightly brown) at 200 degrees.

Good:
8 Flour
3 Salt
4 Water
Bake for two hours at 100 degrees, turn up to 200 degrees and bake for additionally two hours.
If the things are small the time can be cut down to less.

In either recipy if it leaves gaps when you try to bend the dough add a little more water. It's like clay in that respect. If you get wek points in it while shaping they might crack in the oven and you'll have to try over.

As for what I've made.. well, an ornament with a rune (nauthiz) on actually, and other chrismas tree ornaments, angels, stars, santas, trees with a hole at the top so they can have a thread through to hang. We also made a nativity-scene out of it with little figures. Made a braided wreath too to hang on the wall. Mostly christmas things though. It's a thing we usually do at christmas-time in my family. The nativity-scene is from before I was born. A top on hair.. a garlic presser makes good hair /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Last edited by Niniel Sanders on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claire Lasley
No broom

Post by Claire Lasley »

SOOO Excited!!!
claire lasley
Prof. Wastl Hanfstaengl
No broom

Post by Prof. Wastl Hanfstaengl »

Here is the essay response, Assignment 1 (AR-1) by Marta Venturi
(ma1176). In my reply to her (in Italy), I asked for her permission to
re-print her essay in the sub-forum.

QUOTE I've made my first set of runes this morning.
I wanted to make them in a natural way, but I couldn't make them using
the wood, so I asked myself: 'How can I make them?'
Suddenly, I had a flash of inspiration.
I get to the garden and I picked up some grass and sand, then I went
to to kitchen and I started making a mixture of sand, grass, flour and
water to make my runes.
I made 24 little circles of that mixture and then, with the point of a
knife I've written a rune for each circle.
At the end, I've coloured the surface of those circle with a brilliant
green, and I've cooked them in the oven.
While they still were in the oven, I received a phone call from my
best friend, so I spoke with her and I completely forgot my runes for
an hour.
Then when I was passing the kitche to reach the living room I've
suddenly remembered them, but it was late, they were completely burnt.
I was going to throw them away when I had an other flash of
inspiration, so I coloured the symbols of the runes in white, living
the rest black, and now they're good.[/quote]
I asked Marta for permission to quote her here because her answer shows not only some real creativity but also a willingness to write about it in a language not "her own". I am impressed, and I hope you all will be too.
Thank you, Marta..! :)

Namasté

Prof. Wastl
"Ancora Imparo"
~Wastl

Return to “Ancient Runes”