Discussion 4: Toads, Cats and Owls

Class led by Prof. Gustavo Flores

Moderator: Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Discussion 4: Toads, Cats and Owls

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

For this month's discussion, please answer:

Now that you have learned more things about toads, cats and owls, which kind of pet would you like to take to Hogwarts? Which one do you think is the easiest to take care of? Which one would be the funniest to have?

There is no right or wrong answer, just please explain the reasons behind your wishes. At least 100 words for full marks.
Alexandra Rosier
No broom

Re: Discussion 4: Toads, Cats and Owls

Post by Alexandra Rosier »

Choosing a pet to bring to Hogwarts is a decision that carries a lot of personal significance. After learning more about toads, cats, and owls, I've come to the conclusion that I would love to take an owl with me to Hogwarts. Here's why I would choose an owl:

First and foremost, owls have always held a special place in my heart. Their mysterious and majestic presence has captivated me since I was a child. The idea of having a wise and beautiful creature as a companion during my magical journey at Hogwarts is incredibly appealing.
One of the key factors that draws me to owls is their practicality. Owls are known for their intelligence and their ability to deliver mail. Imagine the convenience of having an owl as a messenger. Whether it's sending letters to my family or receiving important correspondence from fellow wizards and witches, having an owl by my side would make communication both efficient and magical.

Owls are also perfectly suited to the nocturnal activities that often take place at Hogwarts. While toads and cats may be active during the day, owls come to life at night, which aligns perfectly with the magical world's rhythms. They could keep me company during late-night study sessions or accompany me on moonlit adventures around the castle grounds.
Furthermore, the sheer magic associated with owls is undeniable. Owls are not just pets; they are symbols of wisdom, mystery, and the extraordinary. Their silent flight and their connection to ancient wizarding traditions add an extra layer of enchantment to the Hogwarts experience.

In terms of ease of care, it's true that owls may have specific needs, such as a suitable place to roost during the day and a specialized diet. However, my deep fascination with owls would drive me to diligently learn about their care and ensure they receive the best possible attention. The effort required to care for an owl would be a labor of love, and I'm more than willing to commit to it.

In conclusion, while toads and cats each have their own merits, my personal connection to owls and the practical advantages they offer make them the perfect choice as a Hogwarts pet for me. The thought of having an owl as a loyal companion, a trusted messenger, and a symbol of magic makes the idea of attending Hogwarts even more thrilling and enchanting.

About which one I think would be the easiest to take care of,
I firmly believe that when it comes to pets, there are no "easier" or "harder" options to take care of. Each animal is unique, with its own set of needs, preferences, and quirks. What might be considered easy for one person could be challenging for another, and vice versa. It's our responsibility as pet owners to understand and meet the specific requirements of our chosen companions, regardless of their species.

In my point of view, the idea of categorizing pets as "easy" or "difficult" oversimplifies the complex and deeply rewarding relationship between humans and animals. Whether it's a toad, a cat, or an owl, they all come with their own unique personalities and demands. Toads, for instance, may seem low-maintenance at first glance, but they require a carefully maintained environment and a diet that includes live insects. Cats, on the other hand, are known for their independence, but they still need regular grooming, feeding, and affection.

Owls, as much as I'm drawn to them, have their own set of challenges, including specialized diets, proper roosting areas, and nocturnal activity patterns. What one person might find "easy" to handle with an owl, another might perceive as demanding. It's not about the species itself; it's about understanding the intricacies of that individual animal's needs.

Ultimately, the bond we form with our pets is built on mutual love and respect, and it's this connection that makes the journey of caring for them so rewarding, regardless of the perceived level of difficulty. Each pet, whether toad, cat, owl, or any other creature, offers a unique and cherished companionship that enriches our lives in its own way. So, for me, the concept of "easier pets" simply doesn't exist; every pet is a unique and cherished member of the family, deserving of our unwavering care and attention.
"He is half of my soul, as the poets say.”
― Madeline Miller, The Song of Achilles
Sophia Williams
No broom

Re: Discussion 4: Toads, Cats and Owls

Post by Sophia Williams »

This course helped me learn about toads, cats, and owls and make me decide which one I would like to take to Hogwarts.
All three have pros and cons, however, I would choose to adopt an owl. What draws me to owls is their intelligence, grace and majestic posture. Owls are also very helpful as they can deliver messages to other wizards and over a large distance. Owls are also relatively easy to take care of and would be a great companion for a first-year student at Hogwarts, they require little maintenance. Their intelligence also allows wizards to train them to do things. Owls also have strong personalities, each owl is different, with a unique personality and can sometimes display mischievous behaviours.

Owls are also nocturnal animals, making them great companions for late work or study sessions around Hogwarts. My pet will give me a feeling of safety and allow me to never feel lonely.

Return to “Care of Magical Pets”