Knitting Announcements

Class led by Prof. Cosmo B. Mott

Moderator: Prof. Cosmo B. Mott

Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

Post by Prof. Cosmo B. Mott »

Hey, everyone,

I thought a place for announcement-type things might be good, so... here we are.

First, don't forget that both Assignment 2 and the first class survey are due by the end of the month. I have every confidence that, if you haven't finished it yet, it can be finished this weekend. Trust me, you want to learn to purl. :) And the survey is a really quick and easy way to earn 10 points, if you ask me.

I should probably mention that I've received both Gert's and Elliya's assignments. If you've sent Assignment 2 and you're not Gert or Elliya, the internet ate it, and you should resend it to.

And, since I'm mentioning what I've gotten by way of assignments, I've got surveys from the following people: Vienna, Ardeliah, Alice, Petunia, Elliya, Nari, Gertrudis, Mopsy, and Sophia. Again, if you've sent me your survey and aren't listed, send it again. The internet gets peckish at the worst times.

Let's see, what else was there? Oh, right: Lesson 3 and Assignment 3 are posted. Take a look at it, and maybe make a weekend of knitting. (What? I can't be the only one. *cg*)

I think that's all I have. Remember, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me privately or post in the questions thread. I'm here to help!
"...they didn't think there was anything very odd in anyone being a little odd."
-James Hilton's Random Harvest

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

*giggles*

I LOVE the long-tail cast on.

And ~

QUOTE When all's said and done, it is better to have too long a tail than too short a tail.[/quote]

I went to the lesson and read this and, well, maybe I'm in a silly sort of mood at the moment, but I laughed and laughed...

Well done, Professor Cosmo.

:ph34r:
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

Hey, guess what, you guys!

I've had an unstated sort of rule all term that I should probably state vaguely for the benefit of those who haven't asked about late work. Yes, I totally will accept late homework for partial credit. This obviously can't apply to the final or the projects, but I'm completely willing to work with you on the assignments.

So, if life happened a bit more forcefully than you had anticipated and you've missed an assignment or two, don't worry too much. There's always wiggle room for us here.

And remember, I'm always here if you have any questions. :)
"...they didn't think there was anything very odd in anyone being a little odd."

Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

So, hi!

By way of knitting announcements, the class is being offered again Spring Term (yay!), and all the assignments are up and listed and everything. This should help you get an idea of what we're doing all term so you can get a head start. Particularly if you're going to be knitting a scarf; you'll want the extra time to do it, trust me.

I'm hoping to get some pictures added to the site, to help make things clearer, though. I know that's something that'll make your knitting life easier.

Otherwise, ff you have any questions, go ahead and ask.

Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

Hey, knitters!

Well, the term's almost a week old, so I thought I'd give you a couple of announcements.

Knitting the Muggle Way

I am slowly working my way through putting videos up for each lesson. I've added videos to the first lesson, so if you haven't started yet, they might be of some help to you. I'll be adding more videos in the coming weeks, so don't be surprised when you see them.

I know some of you have already started on your term project; that's excellent. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can do. Don't forget: if the suggestions on either project page don't excite you, feel free to inquire about something else. I'll let you in on a little secret: I've yet to refuse a suggestion, so don't be shy. ;)

Knitting the Muggle Way: Wearables

Right now, there are no updates, but I'm working on getting your other two lessons and assignments up, as well as making and adding videos. I'm finding that it's easier explaining the various techniques with visuals rather than words, but I'll definitely give you both. Eventually.

That said, everything will be up and ready for you by September 16, as per the Head Office, so don't worry; the wait won't be too long.

Oh, and I have to tell you, I'm finding so many patterns for Assignments 3 and 4, it's going to be killer trying to narrow them down. So if you're not feeling any of the suggestions, just know that there are loads of patterns out there. Just be sure to check with me about them -- not because I don't think they'll be appropriate, but because I love knitting patterns! (Just like Dumbledore. ;) )

Anyway, those are the updates for right now. Remember, if you have any questions or anything, I'm just an email/HOL message/IRC p2p away!

ETA: I'm so not even kidding about the patterns. I have 15 links for things in the round (I stopped after two or three pages of results), and 50 (fifty!!) for colorwork. I can't speak for what you all want to knit, but I've added so many things to my "omgwant" list, it's not even funny. Good times, good times.
Last edited by Prof. Cosmo B. Mott on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

No updates on the videos (yet), but I've got a couple of updates for the class websites.

For those of you in KTMW, I've added/updated the class FAQ. I've got a couple of things in there about the class itself, too, mostly about assignments and deadlines and lateness and things. So if you have a question, check it out.

For you Wearables folks, I've added a further reading and resources page with links to some of my favorite internet sites for knitting help, instruction, and general edification. I'm open to suggestions, if you have any you'd like to share. I've also updated the knitting terminology page. Not only does it explain common abbreviations that might pop up in your assignments, I've added sections on gauge and reading knitting charts, both of which are very important. I know some of you have already had some problems with charts, and I hope this can explain away most, if not all, of the confusion.

If there's anything you come across in the course of the class you have questions about, let me know. You could be the person to push me to better explain a concept, thereby making the class better for everyone. (Also, um... I could bribe you with beans? Yes, that's pathetic, but it's my go-to thing right now. <_< )

Keep on knittin'!

Return to “Knitting the Muggle Way”