Opinion Question #4

Class led by Prof. Gustavo Flores

Moderator: Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

Remember that this option can give you up to 10 points of Assignment or Extra Credit. From the Class Website, please answer the following:

As we learned, Ozma was the truthful ruler of the Land of Oz. In order to avoid troubles and avoid other armies to overthrow her, one of the measures she takes is to outlaw the use of magic. Taking into consideration that, please answer:

Do you think a total prohibition of the use of magic was the best solution? Do you think that would truly stop people from using magic or not? If you disagree with Ozma’s solution, what would you do instead?

There is no right or wrong answer, just please explain your reasoning and theory. At least 100 words for full marks.
Siobhan Sullivan
No broom

Re: Opinion Question #4

Post by Siobhan Sullivan »

Historically speaking, the prohibition of anything has not really worked out so well for those who are doing the prohibiting. Just because something is not allowed doesn’t mean that someone, somewhere isn’t going to find a way to do it anyway. And the overthrow of a ruler-however powerful- is a really good incentive to break the rules for those individuals who are after power or simply ambitious enough to try it. That being said, I’m not sure that I could come up with the “best” way to keep someone or someone’s from trying to overthrow Ozma. If you have enough people and enough motivation, overthrowing someone can happen with brute force when it comes right down to it. The bottom line is: if someone wants to overthrow Ozma that badly, they’re going to find a way to do it. It just may take a bit more planning without the use of magic. I’m not sure I would have done anything differently, though. Maybe she just extended her stay in power by outlawing magic.
To know you are ignorant is the beginning of wisdom.
Niamh Cassidy
No broom

Post by Niamh Cassidy »

Total prohibition of anything usually isn't the best way to get rid of that thing. Making it absolutely forbidden will only make it more intriguing to a lot of people, who will then be much more determined to learn about it then they otherwise might have been. And magic is always an especially tempting thing, giving the opportunity for a great deal of power. Probably the best thing to do is to regulate and license the use of magic, somewhat like in the Potterverse but perhaps a little more strict. If there are hundreds of forms to fill out and tests to take before you can even begin to study magic, a lot of people will decide it isn't worth it and that will greatly cut down on the number of magic users right there and Ozma can feel at least a little bit safer.
"Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

I think Ozma was possibly justified in banning magic at least for the time being while the country settled down, though I think stricter controls would probably have been more suitable. Oz had suffered a lot at the hand of rogue magic users since its inception and most of the magic we saw in the series was of a manipulative, cruel or destructive nature. However, given how intrinsic magic is in Oz and its founding, I think a ban is perhaps short sighted and impractical. Some of the Ozians and the landscapes that surround them seem magic in and of themselves, how is one to draw the line between deliberate magic and simple 'being'? Although, it maybe the mere idea of a ban will keep people with bad intentions from risking it or at least make it more obvious when they do. If enforced sensibly and compassionately, it may still be a sensible move.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)

Return to “Fantastic Worlds and Where to Find Them”