Books vs. Movies?

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

Books vs. Movies?

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

What do you prefer, books or movies?
For me, there are certain books that I prefer, but for the most part, it's movies because I can see the scenes happening right in front of me. As long as the acting is good and it has good effects for the action parts.
Adaleine Shuster

Re: Books vs. Movies?

Post by Adaleine Shuster »

I think it depends on the book and the movie. Certain books were a lot better than the movies. Some movies were better than the books (that doesn't happen often, but I've seen it a few times). In general I think I prefer books. I don't have to read all of a book at once. I don't have to watch a movie all at once, but usually I do. When I'm reading books I feel like I get more of the story. Movies sometimes leave things out, such as Peeves in Harry Potter.
Lora Wallabenger
No broom

Post by Lora Wallabenger »

I prefer books over movies. I always find books much more interesting than some of the movies looking at how much more you can get about the actual real story. I'm not saying movies are not good because some of the movies are really good but some of the movies turn the whole real story upside down. For me reading the book allow me to make my little own world in their world :)
Elvira Livson
No broom

Post by Elvira Livson »

I prefer books, because I like to imagine the world in the book unlimited by a film, in which are shown all the places and persons. :) I also like to read books about computers. But I like videos about it from a special youtube channel more than books about computers and programming.
Larissa Riddle
No broom

Post by Larissa Riddle »

For me, it really depends on what mood I'm in and what book/movie it is. If I don't feel like reading, I'll watch a movie, and vice-versa. Although with some I prefer the movie instead of the book, like a trilogy I've read about four times. Since I've read it so many times, I prefer the movies.
Scarlet Digory
No broom

Post by Scarlet Digory »

I am more interested in movies. I do like reading but finding a book that I'm interested in doesn't happen a lot.
Kalajendra Sajaksara
No broom

Post by Kalajendra Sajaksara »

I prefer books over movies. especially if it is a fantasy genre. Our imagination is completely focused on the imagination in a fantasy film whenever we view it. It is not up to us to imagine. Unlike when we read a book, when we are free to imagine anything. Everyone's imagination is unique, even when reading the same book. :o
Lex Green
No broom

Post by Lex Green »

I mostly prefer books because I have no option but to give them 100% of my attention, but it massively depends on the story and how easy it is to imagine yourself
A huge thank you to my secret elf for the sig!
Mia Fountain
Silver Arrow

Post by Mia Fountain »

I usually prefer books to movies. I find it easier to imagine the story as it is taking place in a book compared to a movie. I find that books include more information that may not always be included in the movies.
Dominick Salinas
No broom

Post by Dominick Salinas »

I usually prefer books over movies just simply because books aren't limited to a particular runtime or budget, so they typically contain more details that movies do. That being said, I do appreciate movies for what they are. As long as you understand they have limitations and it is an interpretation of the book, you can still enjoy it - just set your expectations accordingly.

What I really love is when they make books into tv series. There is usually much more room for details and most of the time they do a great job bringing the book to life.
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Smith »

Like a lot of people here, I prefer books over movies anytime. I feel like movies don't always give justice to the plot of the stories, in the books. Sometimes, it's very different, then what I've read or imagined. So, books anytime!
Luna Hera
No broom

Post by Luna Hera »

100% books. I think the books are so much better than the movies. I also find that the books include details and certain scenes that the movie excludes. Some movies don't include specific parts from the book that I find crucial to the story so, I always read the book first then watch the movie.
Evony Senoj
No broom

Post by Evony Senoj »

Books are my favorite when I want to relax on my own and get into my head. Books are for quiet relaxation. I feel like I always get so much more out of books (mentally, emotionally, descriptively...), and sometimes I'll even remember a book so vividly, it's like I had watched it!
However, movies are better for sharing with others, cuddling up, eating snacks, laughing together... I'd never choose to watch a movie alone; it's a social activity to me.
Sedona Skye
No broom

Post by Sedona Skye »

I mostly prefer books as they go into the fine details of things. For me I find it hard to imagine things so reading expands my view and help visualize things. If there is a movie out for book I do try to read the book first and the movie to truly see the book play by play.
Artemisia Thorne
No broom

Post by Artemisia Thorne »

Books all the way. I struggle to focus when I'm watching movies and shows, but I end up completely absorbed in my book when I'm reading. The only movies that I really enjoy as much as books are Harry Potter and The Hobbit.
Aletheia Aves
No broom

Post by Aletheia Aves »

I like both, but I do typically prefer the book over the movie when there is a movie adaptation. Sometimes it can be interesting to see a book on screen too. Movies also are nice whenever I want to do something mindless, as watching movies is for me. I also can watch movies while stretching, which is hard to do while holding a book. I would still choose books over movies even if both have their pros.
Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Post by Adeline Morior »

I would usually just outright say books over movies but there are some really good movies made so I would say both depending on how well it is made and true to source material.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Evie Figg
Oakshaft 79

Post by Evie Figg »

I love to take the time to read the books before I ever watch the movie. If a certain movie intrigues me, and I learn that it was based upon a book, I need to read the full story in the book before seeing how they adapt it to the big screen.

I remember when the Harry Potter movies were coming out and I HAD to read the book before ever watching the movie. I would sit there in the theater, picking apart the movie and all the things they did or did not include. It was a wonderful decade!

So, depending on the genre, I do enjoy the books more than the movies, as the books include much more emotion and depth when it comes to getting to know the characters.
Hiya Debnath
Oakshaft 79

Post by Hiya Debnath »

Definitely books. I love to read books over movies. Books describe each and every thing on its pages, in vivid detail, while most details are missed in movies because of limited screentime and editing. Many details also remain unnoticed by humans while watching movies but a voracious and avid reader can never miss a single detail in a book because every minute thing has to be written in words in a book. Also, books allow us the freedom to imagine and paint the scene in our minds however we want, whereas movies fix the scene for us themselves. Not to mention the amazing smell that the pages of a book, especially a new book, emanate while I am reading them. It feels like being in the seventh heaven to enjoy a pleasant fragrance while reading a great story. Add a bedside snack or a drink and perhaps also a cosy cushion behind your back and you have the perfect aesthetic for a relaxing evening. I love to watch movies too but only when the plot is too boring to be read as a book, such as in the case of cliche romcoms. I believe that romances are best watched as movies rather than read in books because they best induce an effect on viewing. Some action sequences are also too boring to be read in books and are better watched as movies, because they produce the best effect on viewing, for example, I would rather watch a perfectly landing blow smashing the man's nose than read the sentence "He punched the man square in the face, and it landed so perfectly that blood spattered out of the man's nose". Therefore, I would preferably watch action thrillers as movies. However, some skilled authors who can truly produce a great effect with their words can convince me to read romcoms and action thrillers as books.
Then comes plots like Harry Potter and Game of Thrones. These are stories that have to be enjoyed both ways, that is, as both books and movies. I can never have enough of plots like these and if there was a third way to enjoy these, I would have indulged in that one too. These are plots which make one want to know every minute little detail which is why many others and me keep reading and re-reading the book series as well as posts on any associated fanpages, fan-created blogs, related fan-fiction, and associated posts on other social media platforms. These types of plots also make one want to feel the effect more vividly and immerse oneself in the experience more closely which is why many others and me also watched and re-watched all the movies in the series, played different games themed and based on it, and joined many role-play platforms associated with it. It takes an amazing and highly talented writer to create such plots which make people want to enjoy it through every possible medium and engage in it through as many of the senses as possible.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.
River Fenwick
No broom

Post by River Fenwick »

I would have to go with books on this one. In movie adaptations, key details are usually left out or altered for the sake of screen time or demographics. Sometimes these changes are fine, but I personally find that it often takes some aspects of the character development out of the equation.

However, I do usually find out about books via their movie adaptation, whether it be by unknowingly watching it first or hearing about the books from the press of the movies.

Return to “Discussions”