What's Your Favorite Food from Your Country?

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

What's Your Favorite Food from Your Country?

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

As you all know, we come from various cultures in the world, so we have many differences and one of them is cuisine. How about sharing your favorite food from your country?

Mine is Soto. It's a traditional Indonesian soup with broth, meat, and vegetables. There are many kinds of Soto in Indonesia and Soto is good company on a rainy day.
Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Re: What's Your Favorite Food from Your Country?

Post by Adeline Morior »

Snoek on an open wood fire with lemon, spices and cream. We tend to put everything on a wood fire. Especially meat. Snoek being a big favourite. We will barbeque it or make an awesome amazing pie with it.
Definition:
"Thyrsites atun (Euphrasén, 1791), known as the snoek in South Africa and as the barracouta in Australasia, is a long, thin species of snake mackerel found in the seas of the Southern Hemisphere, and a popular food fish in South Africa, particularly along the west and southwest coast."

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Maeve Madden
No broom

Post by Maeve Madden »

My all-time favourite Canadian dish is poutine. It comes from Quebec (the French-speaking part of Canada) and is French fries topped with gravy and cheese curds. Definitely hard not to love!
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

Although I didn’t grow up with much of an affinity for hot sauces, I’ve truly grown to appreciate them as an adult (with a compulsion to put Sriracha on everything, so I’ve stopped keeping it at home), and am a big fan of Buffalo wings, which came from the state of New York in the US. Preferably with multiple dipping sauces! Ranch and blue cheese are a must, but I’ll often ask for an additional side of some other sauce that’s available (usually a sweet chili Thai sauce these days). My partner doesn’t care for the Buffalo style, so when we are sharing we’ll get something like a garlic parmesan wing, and then there’s me with four dipping sauces so I can have it all. ;)
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Katherine Laurier
No broom

Post by Katherine Laurier »

I love Tocino from the Philippines! It's been my favorite since I was a kid and nothing's changed at all. It's my forever favorite. :P
Mia Fountain
Silver Arrow

Post by Mia Fountain »

My favourite dish from Canada is Poutine. It consists of french fries with gravy and cheese curds on top. I have even tried it with different kinds of cheese curds.
Evie Figg
Oakshaft 79

Post by Evie Figg »

I see a few fellow Canadians have already mentioned Poutine! Ha!

So I suppose I should mention another delicious Canadian treat... NANAIMO BARS!

What are they? They are little dessert bars, consisting of 3 delectable layers.

First layer is a coconut chocolate crust
Second layer is creamy custard
Top layer is a thick layer of hardened chocolate!

This dessert got its name from a small town in British Columbia called Nanaimo. As a kid, I grew up only 1 hour outside of Nanaimo. I didn't know that these treats were nation-wide! I thought they were just exclusive to our area!

However now I know that the rest of Canada enjoys this desert just as much as I do! And I am happy to share it with non-Canadians, too! :D
Reyyan Azkendra
No broom

Post by Reyyan Azkendra »

OH! I will answer this topic.
I wouldn't name rendang and nasi goreng for my favourite food (although both are delicious). But, I will mention nasi padang and nasi liwet as my favourite food.

Actually, both of it just like staple food in general (yes although we don't eat it every day). But, nasi padang is a meal that contains rice that is given some broth (usually chicken opor broth and rendang broth) with various side dishes such as rendang, grilled chicken, cassava leaves, sambal, perkedel, and many more.

Meanwhile, nasi liwet is rice that is flavoured during cooking, and eaten with side dishes such as tofu, tempeh, salted fish and sambal.

Both are high calorie foods, so after eating it you will feel very full and will feel like you don't need to eat again for a few days :lol:
Thank you for the cool signature, Ana! :wub:
Hiya Debnath
Oakshaft 79

Post by Hiya Debnath »

I am from India and my favorite food from my country is Biriyani and Raita. This delicious combination (Biriyani) of long grain aromatic rice slow-cooked in Indian spices like cloves, cardamom, mace, star anise, black pepper, and saffron; along with chicken which may be lightly cooked in turmeric and ginger and garlic paste and then added to the rice; then steamed together; is a heavenly delight which transports one to the seventh heaven. The most common accompaniment to Biriyani is Raita (it is made of yoghurt but has a savory taste because of the savory spices and herbs mixed into it along with vegetables like carrots and cucumbers).
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.
Dibyarup James Potter
Oakshaft 79

Post by Dibyarup James Potter »

My favourite dishes from my country, India, are:

- Chicken/Mutton Biryani
- Chicken Tikka Butter Masala with Butter Naan
- Paneer Butter Masala
- Tandoori Chicken/Prawn
- Mutton Boti Kabab
- Prawn Malai Curry
- Mutton Rezala
- Mutton Rogan Josh
- Chicken/Mutton Do Pyaza
- Chicken Bharta