HOL Book Club Welcome

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Alanna Pierce
No broom

HOL Book Club Welcome

Post by Alanna Pierce »

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the reopening of the HOL Book Club here on the main forum!

It has been a long journey and now the HOL Book Club is opening its doors for students who loves to read and discuss good books on the main forum.

So grab some butterbeer and stay for awhile.

Thanks to the efforts of Prof. Amy Lupin, Prof. Opal, Prof. Tarma Amelia Black and Polaris Black, the HOL Book Club is now finding itself a new place to stay, which will make it easier for all to join in on the fun.

I have had to fight some dark wizards to get access to the old HBC halls and I have managed to gain access to the priceless records from ages past.

There are four different sections of the Book Club, which are each elaborated on in the respective section:
  • The Bookshelf for general discussions about books
  • Between the Pages for more in-depth discussions about books, themes and so on
  • Quill and Ink for discussions about writing as well as writing prompts
  • Ink Splatters for discussions about creative outputs in relation to books as well as creative prompts
We have created some topics to start off but we also look forward to hearing from all of you, so please feel free to join in and/or start your own discussions. We do ask that you keep them HOL-appropriate though. If you are discussing spoilers, please remember to make use of the spoiler tags i.e.

Code: Select all

[Spoiler]This is a spoiler[/Spoiler]
We will also be giving awards out as part of the Book Club:
  • The Quill and Ink Award for completing at least half the writing prompts, given at the end of the school year.
  • The Ink Splatters Award for completing at least half the creative prompts, given at the end of the school year. The prompts for both sections will run throughout the year, so feel free to join in at any time and complete ones from earlier months.
  • The Literati Award for being active and enthusiastic around the Book Club, given either three times a year (for the Autumn & Spring terms as well as over the summer) or monthly, depending on the interest in the Book Club.
We all hope you all enjoy yourselves here and that you even find some interesting new books to read! :D

Kind regards,
Alanna Pierce B)

PS. Keep an eye out for activities planned later on in the year! ;)
PPS. If you have any suggestions for anything along the way, please feel free to drop one of us a line.
Alanna Pierce/Gryffindor/al013/Gryffindor Post Graduate/Former Moderator MCII-A/Member of the HOL Book Club (HBC)

I belive in the eight virtues and the three principles of the Avatar.[/color]
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: HOL Book Club Welcome

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

In addition to the above, we also have the following awards...

The Bard award from the Shakespeare Summer Festival. We're hoping to see a repeat of this in the time to come.

The Published Page was given to those who participated in Chapters I and/or II of Publishing Pursuits. Chapters III and IV will be released in due course.

The Winter Reading Challenge Winner from our very first Winter Reading Challenge.

Harry Potter Book Festival Attendee -The award received by those who completed at least half the tasks in our 8 week long Harry Potter Book extravaganza

HOLWriMo Participant
- for those who wrote at least 3000 words during HOL Writing Month

HOLWriMo Winner - Awarded to those who ‘won’ Hol Writing Month by writing 6000 words or more

The Mirror of Erised - Achieved by people who completed half the tasks during our 20th anniversary celebrations for Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

Summer Reading Challenge Winner
- Awarded to those who read the amount of books they pledged to read during one of our seasonal reading challenges

Watch this space for more awards! :)
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: updated with more awards 8.29.2017 - Tarma
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

In addition to the Awards given out for participating in the regular Book Club activities (see above), we have Awards given out to those who participate in our Activities. Here is an update of more Treasures which have been earned!

Book Bingo
Book Bingo Award Winner - given to those who completed their entire Book Bingo Card.

Hogsmeade Literary Festival
Hogsmeade Literary Festival Attendee - Awarded to those who completed at least half of what was on offer.
Book Connoisseur - Awarded to those for managing to snap everything (or nearly everything) on their book list.

Harry Potter Book Festival 2018
Harry Potter Book Festival Attendee - given to those who submitted at least half the tasks.

The History of the Word
The Word Historian - Awarded to those who completed at least half (6 or more) of the tasks in the History of the Word.
The Word Historian Extraordinaire - Awarded to those who completed at all 12 of the tasks in the History of the Word.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Mason Bella Black
No broom

Post by Mason Bella Black »

I'm so excited to join the book club. I think I will really enjoy this. :D :D :D

Return to “Book Club”