The Worst Witch - Discuss Chapters 5 and 6

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

The Worst Witch - Discuss Chapters 5 and 6

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Here we’ll be discussing chapters 5 and 6 of The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy!

Feel free to offer any thoughts that you like or to use some of our suggested questions below. There’s a range of discussion type questions and also a few more creative/imaginative prompts, so feel free to do whichever take your fancy.

If you include specifics about the plot, please remember to use spoiler tags to avoid spoiling it for someone who might have clicked on this post by mistake. You can do this by typing

Code: Select all

[spoiler] around your text[/spoiler]
Discussion
Ethel talks to her broom and convinces it to do something quite specific here. Do you think brooms have some kind of consciousness?
The Chief Wizard is very harsh about the accident. Do you think all witches and wizards have such exacting standards or is Mildred just unlucky with the ones she meets?
What other events do you think take place at the Halloween celebration? Would their be food as well?

Creative
If you had to come up with a broomstick formation, what would you choose? Feel free to create a diagram if you’d like (please upload the graphic to a photo sharing site and keep it to 600 x 600 pixels)
We hear a lot about the chanting the witches do. Write a few lines of a chant you think would be sung at the Halloween celebration.

You can write as much ore as little as you want (this is meant to be a bit of easy fun) but please do try to write at least a few lines for each topic to avoid spam. You’ll earn 15 beans for responding to this thread.

The deadline for earning beans is 11:59 PM HOL-time on 31st August 2022.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Re: The Worst Witch - Discuss Chapters 5 and 6

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

Discussion
- Em, I'm not sure. I think no, but if it's a magical broom or has enchantments in it than it's not a surprise if the broom has consciousness.
- Not really, because something bad might happens if wizards and witches aren't careful. But yah, Mildred is just unlucky to used Ethel's broom.

Creative
I would like to do star formation! It would be pretty.
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

Discussion

The broom must have some kind of consciousness, I think, because it follows Ethel's instructions and, in doing so, shows some allegiance with its owner.

If witches and wizards are like non- magic folk- that is, different and individual-then not all witches and wizards will be exacting. Perhaps only those that Mildred is meeting are being exacting because they are involved with a school, have authority and so they have a reputation to uphold.

Hopefully, there would be a feast for Halloween with lots of celebrating like fireworks and a late night BBQ or a party with dancing etc, though this being Cackles Academy, I am probably being a bit too optimistic ;)

Creative

A broom formation that travelled around in the shape of the symbol on the school badge would be really cool, and it might make the girls feel more prouder too.
Elizabeth Hermione
No broom

Post by Elizabeth Hermione »

I really love it now! I think this is my best 2nd story book I've ever read!
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

Discussion

1. Oh definitely they do, they must! They definitely do understand English as we have seen multiple times during any movie featuring wizards/witches riding them.

2. I think all as the old fella referred to all witches being not perfect during the parade, not just Mildred.

3. I think they may have some potion making contests. Some of the foods there may be cranberry spider shaped cookies.

Creative

I would form a formation that would resemble a cat running since a cat is one of the most obvious 'symbols' of being a witch.

'We are flying
we are witches
some think we are preachers
but we are just witches'
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Harry Walles
Oakshaft 79

Post by Harry Walles »

Discussion

1. Oh I think they do. It was seen during the Harry Potter movies the most since it was certain phrases that put the broom to life.

2. I agree with Silvana. I think Mildred is particularly unlucky but that is not just the matter alone. There are other aspects, such as the fact Ethel definitely cursed the broom beforehand.

3. Perhaps some hide and seek games and some popcorn!

Creative

A broom formation that looks like a huge bat that then turns into a huge star.

Return to “Book Club”