Moderator: Book Club Heads

Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Book Review - Pollyanna

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

Title: Pollyanna
Author: Eleanor H. Porter
Genres: Fiction
Summary of story: A girl called Pollyanna is an orphan (her parents are dead). She goes to live with her Aunt Polly (who did not marry) in Beldingsville, Vermont. Pollyanna is happy all the time, and makes other people happy. She plays a game called the "glad game", where you find something to be happy about even when you are sad.

Good and Bad Points: I had a hard time reading this book because of the accent on the dialogues. Some words had me thinking what's the meaning of it. But, I learned it along the way. It's a good book for many ages. The book teaches us to be grateful with our life. Everything that happens in life teaches us to be grateful and don't complain about it. There are good messages from this book through Pollyanna's life that we can apply in our life as well. As she is always being a cheerful and optimistic girl!
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Re: Book Review - Pollyanna

Post by Emily Spencer »

It may be my own cynical nature, but I absolutely, positively LOATHED this book. That is not something I say lightly about books, I assure you, and especially such a beloved classic. Even as a child I found it insipid and too saccharine sweet to be enjoyable. I know, I know, it's supposed to be a heartwarming tale of courage and optimism, but it honestly set my teeth on edge. I would rather read Cujo, and I find that one of the most boring books ever (sorry Stephen King).

To be fair, I am in the minority. Here is what Goodreads has to say on the matter:
The orphan girl Pollyanna moves in with her strict aunt in New England. Despite a difficult start, Pollyanna's exuberance and positivity affect everyone who meets her, and she spreads joy and love wherever she goes. But when tragedy strikes, Pollyanna finds her optimistic attitude tested, and she must learn to find happiness again.

A heartwarming tale that has become one of the most loved children's stories of all time, Eleanor H. Porter's 1913 best-seller—the first in a long series of Pollyanna novels by the author and other writers—is a beautiful story with a powerful moral message.
One could say that I was jaded, given the work I do when I am not busy being a Slytherin student here on HOL (I'm a paramedic), but that would not be quite true. I am not a big fan of morality tales or of icky-sweet stories, no matter if they are meant to encourage. I am much more of a Criminal Minds type of gal, I suppose :) I don't mind happy, don't get me wrong, but when it's crammed down my throat so blatantly as in Pollyanna, you will see me running in the other direction!
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head

Return to “The Bookshelf”