Moderator: Book Club Heads

Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Book Review - An Enchantment of Ravens

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

Title: An Enchantment of Ravens
Author: Margaret Rogerson
Genre: Fantasy
Summary of Story: With a flick of her paintbrush, Isobel creates stunning portraits for a dangerous set of clients: the fair folk. These immortal creatures cannot bake bread or put a pen to paper without crumbling to dust. They crave human Craft with a terrible thirst, and they trade valuable enchantments for Isobel’s paintings. But when she receives her first royal patron—Rook, the autumn prince—Isobel makes a deadly mistake. She paints mortal sorrow in his eyes, a weakness that could cost him his throne, and even his life.

Good and Bad Points: A good and comforting fantasy book to read. The four lands of the story remind me of the four realms from Nutcracker. It's really enjoyable to read, because it made me imagine what the place might look like, or those fair folk look like. The adventure is hard to predict, and keeps me wondering what would happen next to Isobel and Rook. It's quite suspenseful, sometimes I would be afraid that Rook would be killed and no one left to protect Isobel anymore. Then, the fair folk would force Isobel to drink from Green Well and turn into fair folk forever. The main character is a brave woman, even though she is a mortal she is not afraid to fight the fair folk.

Return to “The Bookshelf”