Comet 180

Book Review-Seven Ways to Kill a King

Post by Emily Spencer »

Title: Seven Ways to Kill a King
Author: Melissa Wright
Genre: Fantasy
Series: No

Brief Summary:
Years ago, the Lion Queen had been slain by an uprising of treacherous lords who styled themselves as kings, split up the kingdom, and controlled their subjects through fear and intimidation. The Lion Queen had two daughters, one of which was taken captive and the other, a mere child at the time, presumably killed along with her mother...

As far as the world knew, Princess Myrina of Stormskeep was dead. All traces of her had been carefully erased, her identity swallowed by a lowly peasant girl named Bean. Unassuming and inconsequential, no one paid Bean much mind at all. There was no need for kings to fear a peasant, but plenty enough reason to fear a long-forgotten-presumed-dead princess with a heart bent on revenge. By the time they figured out exactly who she was, it would be too late. At least that was the plan.

Accompanied by Cass, a surviving member of the Bloodsworn Guard whose life had been dedicated to the Lion Queen, the princess sets out to avenge her mother and rescue her kidnapped older sister. Along the way, she battles many pitfalls, not the least being her own treacherous heart.

Here is what Goodreads had to say:
She was born a princess. They made her an assassin.

Myrina of Stormskeep was dead. Everyone knew the princess had been slain when the murderous lords of the Storm Queen’s Realm stole her mother’s throne to crown themselves kings.

But far away in Smithsport hides a dark-haired girl known as Bean. Each night when the last flame is snuffed inside the Blackwater Inn and her need for secrecy devoured by the darkness, Princess Myrina plots the death of seven kings.

One will seem an accident.
Two a coincidence.
By three, they will know.

But vengeance rarely goes according to plan. The worst of the kings holds her sister--rightful queen and heir to the realm--captive. If Lettie isn’t freed before she comes into her magic, the kings will hold her power as well.

Myrina can let nothing stop her, even the boy from her past who ignites feelings she long ago buried. With the help of her loyal bloodsworn Cass, the shadow princess will have her revenge.

Vowed to enact retribution and rescue her sister with no more than her wits and a sword--and the last of her queensguard--this YA fantasy is perfect for fans of Shielded and The Princess Will Save You.
My take:
I really enjoyed this book! The twists and turns were exciting enough to counterbalance the 'romancy' elements that I usually despise in a novel. The unexpected twist at the end was especially clever. It flipped everything I thought I knew and turned it upside down. I won't say that it's an epic novel, but certainly pleasant enough to hold one's attention. I would love to see a sequel, in fact.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head

Return to “The Bookshelf”