Book Review - Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Book Review - Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths

Post by Adeline Morior »

Title: Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths
Author: Bernard Evslin
Genres: Mythology, Classics, Nonfiction, Greek Mythology, History, Short Stories

Summary: The book is all about the world of Greek mythology and contains some of the stories told throughout history amongst people. In this book the author shares his passion for the tales and myths told to him by his young uncle. In this book he shares different variations of myths and stories where you’ll get to know the Greek gods, heroes, demigods, nature myths and some famous fables.

The version I read is a second edition published in 1967 that contains the stories and myths of the following characters; Zeus, Hera, Athene, Poseidon, Hades, Demeter, Birth of the twins, Artemis, Apollo, Sons of Apollo, Hermes, Hephaestus and Aphrodite. Demigods that are mentioned are; Perseus, Daedalus, Theseus and Atalanta. The Nature myths and fable section mentions; Prometheus, Pandora, Phaethon, Orpheus, Narcissus, Echo, Eros, Psyche and Arion, with Midas and Pygmalion. There are also mentions of the titans like Cronos and Medusa.

Goodreads says:
The bestselling compendium of ancient Greece’s timeless tales and towering figures of mythology from a classics expert.

The world of Greek mythology contains some of the most exciting and imaginative stories ever told. In Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths, bestselling author Bernard Evslin shares his passion for these fabulous tales and the eternal themes they so beautifully express. In this accessible overview, you’ll get to know the iconic gods, heroes, and tragic figures: Zeus, the all-powerful king of the gods; Hera, his cunning and jealous wife; King Midas, whose touch could turn anything into gold; the sculptor Pygmalion, who falls in love with his own creation; and many more.
With each story, Evslin brings new life to these legendary characters and the magical world they inhabit. Translated into multiple languages, and with more than ten million copies sold, this invaluable resource has become a classic in itself.
Review: I love history and myth books and stories. I really enjoyed this book even if it didn’t contain all the different myths I have read and heard of the Greek world. It has a very good index of topics and stories. The stories are short enough to enjoy and get through but not too short that you feel left without any knowledge of the characters. There is a nice little section at the end of the book with some Greek name meanings and translations.

I have a second edition passed to me by my father that forgot to return it to the school library in his day. I would have returned it if the school still existed. I do have to say, I was a little upset since someone tore out a few pages from my book and I only noticed it when one of the character stories suddenly flowed into the middle of another character's story…

I think this is a really good book to have for Greek beginners wanting to know more about the characters and stories surrounding them in ancient times.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “The Bookshelf”