Unusual Origins

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Unusual Origins

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

With the development of different techniques, media and technology, the beginning of a novel is not necessary on a traditional paper, typewriter or Word document. Sometimes, excerpts are posted as daily, weekly, monthly submissions in newspapers, websites, forums, and the like. We talk about something similar in a topic about Published Fanfiction here.

Tales from the Gas Station Vol. 1 (and all subsequent entries) started in such a way. The story revolves around Jack Townsend, the only full-time employee at the twenty-four-hour gas station at the edge of town. He has seen it all from the unusual to outright kooky. But when he decides to start an online journal documenting the bizarre day-to-day occurrences, he attracts the attention of much more than just a few conspiracy theorists. Jack writes it all with a veneer of indifference and quiet acceptance, no matter how incredulous the happenings are.

The book started out as multiple award-winning “creepypasta” entries in r/nosleep on Reddit around three or so years ago. I started following it from the beginning and was glad to see the series turned into a book.

I have to say that I much prefer it that way. It is easier for me to read, it went through a thorough editing phase and it has some minor added scenes and details that are much appreciated. Not to mention that I do not have to wait for new parts (or “chapters”) to be published. Still, from time to time, I like to go on Reddit and reread it all.

What are some of the unusual origins of the books you have read? Did you prefer it in their original format or as a novel?
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.

Return to “Between the Pages”