Uranus - Mythology

Moderators: Prof. Maxim Trevelyan, Arianna Stonewater

Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Uranus - Mythology

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

Uranus is the sky god of Greek mythology, the father of Cronus (Saturn) and grandfather of Zeus (Jupiter). It is the only planet name to be based on the ancient Greek name for a particular god, rather than the roman equivalent. William Herschel, the discoverer of the planet, originally wanted to name it after King George III who had rewarded him with a generous stipend for the discovery.

In 50 words or more, tell us what you would have named a planet if you discovered it and why.

Post your names below by December 31st 11:59 pm HOL time to get 15 Hoots and 50 beans.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Re: Uranus - Mythology

Post by Louis Walles »

I have a couple of ideas as to how to name the planet if I would be able to discover one. My main idea is to name my planet by its appearance but using Latin words. For example, if the planet would be orange I would call it 'aurantiaco', and if it would be pink, it would be called 'Rosea'. I think it would make the names more 'professional' and interesting.
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

If I were fortunate enough to discover a planet, I would name it Metis. In Greek mythology, she is an Oceanid (Titan nymph) who is seen as the mother of wisdom and deep thought. Additionally, along with Eros, she is named as one of the primal cosmogenic forces, giving her dominion over the entire cosmos. The name would be a subtle nod to the wisdom needed to discover the planet in the first place, as well as recognition of the new planet's importance in the planetary cycle. Metis is also the goddess of cunning and magic, both of which tie in nicely with the new planet I've found. Although at first glance it appears habitable, it will undoubtedly take a bit of cunning to make it a viable option for colonization. Magic couldn't hurt either, right?!!
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

15 Hoots and 50 beans go to Louis Walles and Emily Spencer for their wonderfully inventive names.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.

Return to “Creative Outlet”