Favorite Characters in Fantastic Beasts

Moderator: Prefects

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Favorite Characters in Fantastic Beasts

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

I had the privilege of getting to go to LeakyCon this year and sit in three panels with Dan Fogler, Jacob Kawolski and Alison Sudol, Queenie Goldstein. Two of them were solo panels and the other was a panel that included both of them titled Doughnuts and Strudel, and it was amazing.

When I first saw the Fantastic Beasts movie, Queenie immediately became my favorite character. Why? First of all, she was wearing pink which took away the horrible reputation pink was given by Dolores Umbridge in Harry Potter and turned it back into a color associated with sweetness and goodness. Queenie is also a very powerful witch even though she chooses to mostly focus on household magic. In fact, I sometimes wonder if she could be more powerful than Tina even though Tina was/is an auror. I related to Queenie a lot because she questions herself given her natural ability of legilimency where she can't help but read a person's mind. And this is where Jacob comes in because she realizes she can be herself with him without any sort of judgement. She sees the kind of person he is, and she isn't afraid of her gift when she's around him. They complement each other so beautifully, and I can't wait to see them in Crimes of Grindelwald.

Who are your favorite characters from Fantastic Beasts? Was there anything you related to in their personalities or do you simply like how the character was interpreted or written?
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Tags:
Zoe Mitchell
No broom

Re: Favorite Characters in Fantastic Beasts

Post by Zoe Mitchell »

I saw Fantastic Beasts a couple years back and I would totally recommend the movie to anyone who has not yet seen it. But if I were to choose a favorite character, I would choose Newt Scamandar.

Now I know that's the generic answer, but it's one I will stick to with the very fibers of my being. And here's why. Newt loves animals. He does not seek to control the animals, does not seek to use them in the ways he thinks they ought to be used, he simply finds them and, I'm assuming, helps them recuperate or stops them from being hunted. He genuinely loves animals.

And that's something that I can admire. Newt is the epitome of what it means to be a Hufflepuff. He is loyal and kind and hardworking, and he brings a new light to the Hufflepuff House. Which is also something that I can admire.
Lucy Poole
No broom

Post by Lucy Poole »

From the very beginning, my favorite characters from Fantastic Beasts were Jacob Kowalski and Newt Scamander. I think it's because Kowalski and Scamander both like some of my favorite things. Food and animals. I felt like in a way they were impersonations of me.
Noe Summerset
No broom

Post by Noe Summerset »

So I saw Fantastic Beast a couple of months ago and I absolutely loved the movie. But if I were to choose my favorite character's it would be Newt Scamander and Jacob Kowalski. Newt Scamander because him and I both share a love for animals and believe that they should not be harmed no matter how dangerous they maybe. And also because there aren't a lot of Hufflepuff's that are in the spotlight and Newt shows that not all Hufflepuff's are loyal and kind he shows that they can also be hardworking. Jacob Kowalski because he's kind of like me in some ways. He's sometimes unintentionally funny, he's very caring, and a really good friend to Newt and Tina and also a good boyfriend to Queenie.
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

My favorite "characters" are actually the creatures. We were left with few descriptions of magical beasts in the book and the rest was left up to our imagination. It is awesome seeing some of them on the big screen and compare the differences between my own ideas and what they actually look like.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Luna Chase
No broom

Post by Luna Chase »

My favorite character is Grindelwald, because (and yes I know it is a stupid reason) there is this meme of Newt saying "Ridiculous" and Grindelwald turning into the Mad Hatter, and now when I think of Grindelwald (even though I hate him) I think of the Mad Hatter and I love the Mad Hatter, thus I love Grindelwald (tough I hate him)
Cole Thronheart
No broom

Post by Cole Thronheart »

Newt because he’s just absolutely adorable and has a heart of gold. Grindelwald also, idk I can’t explain it there’s just something about his. And I ship him and Dumbledore lol.
Ladonna Compson
No broom

Post by Ladonna Compson »

My favorite characters in Fantastic Beasts have to be Newt Scamander and Porpentina Goldstein. I think that they make a really good couple like Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley and Queenie and Jacob Kowalski. I totally ship Newt and Tina.
Jaime Gagne
No broom

Post by Jaime Gagne »

I am also a fan of Queenie. I too am happy that she brought the color pink back to representing sweetness and good. I chose Queenie as my favorite character because she is a free-spirited, kind, and empathetic person. She shows sympathy and compassion for those in pain or suffering. I love that she tries to do the right thing, however, she did blackmail someone, but only to do a good dead and save her friend.
Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

My favorite character in Fantastic Beasts is Newt Scamander. I like his mannerisms and I often find that i can relate more to him than any other character. I also love animals and would probably be in the same occupation at Newt and try to protect and save the magical creatures, no matter how different they are. His awkwardness and social skills are also similar to mine.

Jacob Kowalski would be my second favorite character, he's funny.
Bella Pope
No broom

Post by Bella Pope »

I’m just saying but did anyone know that Newt and Tina Goldstine get married???
Anne-Marie Gagne

Post by Anne-Marie Gagne »

Bella Pope wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:49 am I’m just saying but did anyone know that Newt and Tina Goldstine get married???
I did but that may have been because it's mentioned in the beginning of the Fantastic Beasts book.
Bella Pope
No broom

Post by Bella Pope »

Ya it was mentioned in fantastic beasts and where to find them.
Omen Nightingale
No broom

Post by Omen Nightingale »

Newt Scamander without a doubt. I loved Newts personality and his softness for all animals, and despite others usually being against him, he still held strong.
Evie Figg
Oakshaft 79

Post by Evie Figg »

As much as I love my fellow Hufflepuff Newt Scamander, his loyal 'no-maj' friend Jacob Kowalski would be my favourite character of the film. He's funny, open minded, and very loyal to his friends. One of my favourite muggle characters for sure!
Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Post by Adeline Morior »

I love the creatures most but if I need t add people it would be Newt Scamander and Queenie Goldstein. I love how much compassion the both of them have. They are caring and soft but taught. One cares deeply for creatures and the other people. I love that about them. They are ultimately the beautiful representation of compassion and goodness.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Andromeda Beauchamp
No broom

Post by Andromeda Beauchamp »

Queenie Goldstein holds a special place in my heart too! Her choice of wearing pink to reclaim its sweetness is such a lovely detail, and her character's complexity, especially with her Legilimency gift, adds a unique layer to the story. I resonate with her journey and the genuine connection she shares with Jacob. Their chemistry is heartwarming. As for Newt Scamander, he embodies the essence of a true Hufflepuff, displaying loyalty, kindness, and hard work, especially through his love for magical creatures. These characters bring a refreshing perspective to the wizarding world, making 'Fantastic Beasts' a delightful exploration.

Return to “Fantastic Beasts”