Matilda: Chapter 12 - Chapter 16

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Matilda: Chapter 12 - Chapter 16

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

For these chapters we can discuss the extreme punishments of one particular character. What’s your opinion about them? Are they crazy, unrealistic, or super cruel? Also, we get to read about the “miracles”. Were you expecting them or not?

As usual, please remember to use the spoiler tags when discussing specific information of the book.
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Re: Matilda: Chapter 12 - Chapter 16

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

I definitely consider these punishments unrealistic, but it is a children's book which means the imagination is allowed to be stretched a little bit. Even still, they are super cruel,especially when you find out about Miss Honey. Honestly, it took me back to read this in the book and it was slightly triggering. I've never read the book before, but I have seen the movie, and I don't remember things being described such as that as Miss Honey does in the book. It really set me back in reading for a moment trying to get through those horrible scenes.

The "miracles" are very nice indeed and how they allow the story to continue playing out in the end. I was expecting them because I had seen the movie, and I think Matilda uses them in a grand way. She only wants to help people who are kind and deserve it which is nice of her considering how she's growing up as well.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Post by Bull J. Johnson »

I think the chokey is sort of cool punishment. I could see this happening in real life in some ways back years ago. I know they probably wouldn't have nails, and glass, however I do see that students might have to stand in a small closet for a few hours. I mean just look at some of the punishments they use to have, like holding stuff in your outstretched hands for a bit. Things sort of like the chokey was not unheard of. We should be happy that schools can't do that stuff to students while most of us were growing up and now.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

I continued reading this book because I was determined to finish it.What is termed 'miracles' is not what I call miracles though -- it's just sort of like natural abilities? Something she thought of, and focused on and it happened.

As for the punishments and the cruelties listed in the story -- I wrote a bunch of other stuff, about how I felt about the events in the story and I deleted it. I'll just go along with what Shiloh wrote and say it was horrible. Yes, there were some triggers, mostly in how that kind of behavior and insanity, even if supposedly it is in a story and not real, actually happens. And people condone it, or are too afraid to say anything about it. At least the bully in this story isn't also gifted with charisma, and able to say lies and warp others to think it is truth.

I think that if I'd seen the movie, I'd be kinder to the story. However ... on to the next, and last, review page!
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “Book Teasers”