Book Teasers - Riordan Discussions

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Book Teasers - Riordan Discussions

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Let's talk the books and stories of Rick Riordan! You may choose whichever topic you like - or both - and post below to earn 10 Beans.

1) Have you read any of Rick Riordan's books - if so which ones? Did you enjoy one in particular? If you have read more than one of the series, did you prefer one over the other? If you did, do you know why?

2) If you were in Camp Half-Blood, which cabin would you be in (and which would you WANT to be in, if you were in one that you didn't really want)?

There are many groups who are entranced by these books. As stated in one of the sites easily Googled
Congratulations! You’ve survived monster attacks and made it safely to Camp Half-Blood, the training camp for Greek demigods. What’s that? You don’t know where to stow your gear? Don’t worry—the Hermes cabin will take you in. You can bunk there until you’ve been claimed by the god who bore you. Or, if you don’t want to wait around indefinitely (the gods can be a bit unreliable), take this quiz for a rapid result. Just don’t blame me if you don’t like the answer.
Have you taken one of these quizzes? What did you get? Do you agree - or disagree?

Earn 10 Beans for replying below. You have until the end of the month to earn your Beans.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Book Teasers - Riordan Discussions

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

I've read all three of The Kane Chronicles, and, while I've not read all of the Percy Jackson books, I've read quite a few of them.

My own preference is for The Kane Chronicles, but I'm not sure of why. I just know that when I decided to add to my own library, The Kane Chronicles are there and none of the Percy Jackson books made it.

I took a Half-Blood Camp quiz to see in which cabin I'd be placed. Um, no. But ...
You got: Athena
You are the daughter of wisdom and crafts, such as weaving. You are one of the smartest people at Camp Half-Blood, and you hate spiders.
The Athena Cabin (6) is the cabin for the children of Athena/Minerva, Greek/Roman goddess of wisdom, reason, crafts and weaving. (As Athena, she is also goddess of war, stragetic war, and battle stratergy) (As Minerva she is also a goddess of magic and poetry)
I don't hate spiders. And there are bunches of folks smarter than me. But I do enjoy knitting!

I think I would do better in Artemis's Cabin. Maybe? Or Nemesis (would that be liken unto Leverage?) ...
Artemis' Cabin (#8) is an all silver building with silver curtains, similar to the outfit of the Hunters. It also glows silver during night time as if reflecting the moon, but looks like a normal cabin in the day. It is decorated with paintings and carvings of wild animals, but mostly the stag. Because Artemis does not have children of her own and the cabin is honorary; however it is used by the Hunters, the adopted children of Artemis when they visit camp. It's unknown what it looks like on the inside.
The Nemesis Cabin {#16} is the cabin for the children of Nemesis, Greek goddess of revenge and balance
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1500

Re: Book Teasers - Riordan Discussions

Post by Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis »

I have read the five books in the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series and I'm currently in the second half of The Throne of Fire, the second book of The Kane Chronicles.

For me, parts of Percy Jackson felt predictable, mainly because I'm more familiar with Greek mythology than Egyptian mythology. I could see some events happening before they did, but there were still plenty of twists in the Percy Jackson series. Each book had some element from Greek mythology that I really liked, so I can't choose a favorite book. The highlights from Percy Jackson were meeting Artemis and the hunters, Tyson, and the concept of the labyrinth.

I feel that I'm learning a lot as I read The Kane Chronicles. Unfortunately, I've been getting the books from the library, which is now closed, so I'm just trying to make the second book last as long as possible. (I could probably buy the books, but I don't have that much space to work with.)

Return to “Book Teasers”