No! Don't kill them! (Character you cried over most)

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prefects

Samantha Lilac
No broom

Re: No! Don't kill them! (Character you cried over most)

Post by Samantha Lilac »

The character I cried over most has to be Fred. For the longest time the twins have been my favorites. They immediately stood out to me while reading the books for the first time and I love their parts in the movies. I think I cried more watching Fred's death in the movies rather than in the books. There's just something about hearing the way the Weasleys cried over his body that just absolutely wrecked me.
Kat Silver
No broom

Post by Kat Silver »

I still haven't gotten over Hedwig, Dobby or Fred.

I'm not sure if Hedwig's got me so bad because it was an animal that was killed, those always get to me. or if (in the movie) he was killed tryin to protect Harry.

Dobby's got me the most because at the end he was just happy to be passing with his friends around him

And Fred's got to me as soon as i saw Molly crying, having 2 boys made it so much harder and then seeing George and Ron :(
Lyra Hunter
No broom

Post by Lyra Hunter »

Oh my goodness, I will NEVER be over Fred's death. That one absolutely broke me!
Sophie Howell
No broom

Post by Sophie Howell »

Through the whole series of Harry Potter there has been so many loved characters that passed away which forever haunts me, in away however most of the deaths I find quite meaningful and beautiful (in the sense most of the characters died with someone they loved near by them).

As for the characters death I've cried most about was probably characters that aren't as popular with others. For me, Dobby's death was quite sad. I know a lot of people found him really annoying but I always found Dobby adorable and his nature so kind. For Dobby to die while saving Harry, once again, and especially the dagger, I found it really heart wrenching and shocking. There are certain characters that I feel as if you don't expect them to die, because they are so loved and are not the "main focus" of the series. So thats one of the reasons why I cried so hard.

Another characters death hit me the most was Freds. I think the idea of Fred and George being inseparable was what made his death so sad. I loved those Weasley twins, they brung such love and comedy to the series as they were very charming to me. For Fred to be in pain while his close bonded family watched over him, it was so sad. I also go to thinking about George and what happens to him after Freds death, and that makes me even sadder. It hurts to think about those two not together anymore.
Aireen Kamal
No broom

Post by Aireen Kamal »

I think I cried the most over Sirius Black. It was because he was such a father figure to Harry and over all just a comfort character. So when he was taken away in a blink of an eye there was a moment of shock followed by pool of tears being forms on the carpet under me haha
Calysto Srinivasan
No broom

Post by Calysto Srinivasan »

I mostly cried over Dumbledore and Fred, though I was pretty sad when Sirius died. Another one that shocked me enough to cause tears was Tonks and Remus. Really, I just cried when I finished the last book because the journey was over and it wouldn't be the same to reread it.
Meg Atmoste
No broom

Post by Meg Atmoste »

I cried over Fred Weasley's death the most knowing George would never be happy anymore and his twin would no longer be next to him and causing mischief with him anymore. Fred brought so many happy memories for the Weasley family and his brother. Losing a twin is probably the most tragic thing someone could ever feel.

I also read somewhere that Molly looked in the mirror of erised and saw what she thought was Fred. She thought it was Fred because he was smiling and George hadn't smiled in a while. Only after realizing the person standing in the mirror had only one ear, she knew it was George. There was also another story that when Molly grew older and her memories were fading, George went to see her but Molly thought it was Fred so George said the line Fred and him said, " He's not Fred, I am. Honestly woman you call yourself our mother." Molly then apologized to George but after a few seconds, George said, "I'm only joking, I am Fred."
Azriel Malfoy
No broom

Post by Azriel Malfoy »

The most heartbreaking one was Fred for sure. I've always loved the Weasley twins and one of them dying completely broke me. Another one would be Sirius, it was just so sudden and I think I still haven't quite got over it.
Caden Hoover
No broom

Post by Caden Hoover »

I feel like the character's death I cried over the most was Fred. I honestly love him, he was such a great character-him and George.
Milo Willows
No broom

Post by Milo Willows »

Fred Weasley. No question about it. As a twin (and a ginger) myself, I felt George's pain in a way I never want to experience in reality. I truly didn't expect either of our goofballs to die because they're the comic relief—the characters that come in and remind you that there is cheer and light in the world which is why the shock of it was almost as disconcerting as the grief.
✿.。.:* ☆:**:. pronouns : any, but they/them preferred.
Emily Catherine
No broom

Post by Emily Catherine »

Lupin and Tonks, I know they didn’t make a bunch of appearances in the movies, but just knowing how they were in the books made it a lot worse.
Avery Hill
No broom

Post by Avery Hill »

I didn’t cry over anyone but I felt like the death of Dobby, Sirius and Fred was really sad. It made sense to kill them off but I still felt really sad about it.
Cole Thronheart
No broom

Post by Cole Thronheart »

I was absolutely bawled over Fred. The twins are some of my favorite characters. And there is no George without Fred. And also Sirius. If you have heard the actual footage of Daniel Radcliffe’s scream during that scene it is absolutely heart wrenching!
Andrea Bertua
No broom

Post by Andrea Bertua »

My all time favourite character is Sirius Black, but I kind of guessed he had to go at some point. The death that hurt me the most was Dobby. I cry every time I see it.
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

There are two deaths in particular that strike me as particularly painful because the characters had gotten such a raw deal throughout much of their lives that they deserved a happy ending, not a "collateral damage" style death well before their time.

One of them is Lord Voldemort's snake, Nagini. The personality we see her as showing (encased in a gorgeous snake form) throughout the books never felt "real" for me; when we learned that she had been turned into a Horcrux, I had always imagined her as having been the Slytherin house pet (and the only living being that had shown Voldemort true love; in any event, Nagini may well have been the only living being Voldemort ever loved!) And of course, anything she had done after becoming a Horcrux would not reflect her personality but rather Voldemort's.

Of course, we learned later on that before Voldemort, Nagini was a Maledictus with human and snake forms; while this was not the backstory I would have predicted... it made her life all the more tragic. She may have been known for being on the side of the villains, but being a Horcrux (and reviled by heroes) during your final years only makes your story more tragic, if you ask me!

For a more 'heroic' death, there's always Sirius Black. Despite being a popular heir of a very prominent Pureblood family, along with having very devoted friends and some great memories along the way, he spent nearly all of his way-too-short life suffering under the decrees of others. He was famously at odds with his mother Walburga for the sixteen years they lived together (fun fact: the only documented/suspected uses of Permanent Sticking Charms were at their shared house of Grimmauld Place: one made by Walburga and partially directed at Sirius, and one made by Sirius and partially directed at Walburga!) until he finally was able to break free and life with the loving family of his best friend James Potter. Impressed into war by circumstances, he was framed, betrayed, and then had to spend the last fourteen years of his life as either a prisoner (amidst Dementors) or a fugitive (in a place which might well be second to Grimmauld Place for "where he really doesn't want to get trapped")! When he was killed by his cousin Bellatrix in a duel at the way-too-young age of 36 (when he thought he was saving Harry)... well... at least he wasn't in Grimmauld Place or Azkaban, and at least he would be recognized as a hero when he got out!

TL/DR: Nagini and Sirius Black both deserved *way* better for their lives and their deaths... both should be mourned!
Heather Morganson
No broom

Post by Heather Morganson »

I honestly had so many different characters that I had cried over during the time that I was reading the books as well as watching the movies. First when Dumbledore had died, knowing that he was one of the few people that had been there for Harry whenever he had honestly needed him over the years regardless whether he was at Hogwarts or not. Then I cried when Harry had lost Sirius because he was basically the only family that Harry had seemed to have left that had honestly seemed to care about him for the person that he actually was (other than the Weasleys of course). I had also cried when Harry had lost Hedwig during the time that the members of the Order of the Phoenix had been attempting to do whatever they could to keep him safe after Voldemort had found out about where he was staying when Harry had turned 17 years old. There was also when Alastor "Mad-eye" Moody had died that had affected me because of the things that he had tried to help Harry with once certain things had taken place. Even though all of these had affected me, however, I can honestly say that the worst for me had been when Tonks, Lupin, and Dobby had been killed either in the final battle or in order to protect Harry.
William Ezra Huxley
No broom

Post by William Ezra Huxley »

Well, to me, it's Fred Weasley's. I know that he has fewer screen time in movie (as well as book) than other more important characters like Dumbledore and Snape. But, Fred (and George) had been a duo that make the series a more relaxed and fun story. They both represent the real life school students by their actions; chaotic, rebelious, yet creative at the same time. And that's what make me adore them.
Fred and George had been inseperated through out the whole series, and to see Fred leave George at the end, it was so painful to me. I just can't imagine how George felt when half of himself, gone forever.
Anne-Marie Gagne
No broom

Post by Anne-Marie Gagne »

Honest answer: All of them. All of them made me sob like a baby when they happened.

Now picking one: it's actually different from the books to the movies to just being older and re-reading them. In the books, Fred's hit hard and not just because he died, but everyone's reaction to it. Especially Percy's. He was estranged from his family for so long. And even if it was of his own doing, he still loved them, you know he did. Then he comes, with what I'm sure is less combat experience than his mother and fights with them. He was fighting at Fred's side when he was killed. If I remember correctly, Percy made a joke that Fred was laughing at when he died.

Can you imagine that?

The movie death is Sirius. No long explanation for this one. The music and the quietness just tears me apart.

Now the other death that really gets to me now that I'm older (and actually care a lot about barely mentioned side characters) is Regulus Black's death. He was around 18-19 when he died. He was barely an adult and defected once he learned just how much of a monster Voldemort was. He died helping in the defeat of Voldemort and no one except Kreacher knew until almost two decades later. And he can never have a proper burial either since he was turned into an inferi and destroyed when Dumbledore and Harry went to the cave.
Cari Lupin
No broom

Post by Cari Lupin »

I cried so much over Sirius's death. Like the way that Harry was crying and screaming was so heartbreaking for me considering it was his only family member left and that Daniel's grandmother had just died. It made me feel so bad and had me thinking about how I wouldn't be able to handle a family member of mine dying.
Nalia Awer
No broom

Post by Nalia Awer »

Definitly Sirius and Fred.
Sirius hasn't even gotten a chance to experience freedom and redemption after twelve years of false imprisonment, before he died. And I don't even want to think about the pain Harry experienced when his godfather died. They didn't have anouth time together. Harry just got his wish fullfilled and someone that could have been a father figure for him, just for all of it to be taken away just two years later. I always cry when I watch the Scene in the movie. Daniel Radcliffe did a wonderful job portraying Harrys pain.
And Fred was still so young when he died. He had a bright future before him. I can't imagine what George felt when his other half died. I always think about the grief of their family, when I think about Freds death and that makes me cry like a baby.

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”