Underrated Character Moments

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Underrated Character Moments

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

Throughout the book series and even in later stories, we have seen a lot of big character moments; James and Lily trying to save their son, Harry braving the Chamber of Secrets to save Ginny, Harry finding a piece of family in Sirius, the Battle of Hogwarts and many more.

There is no need for a cataclysmic event or a great heroic moment spawning a few pages for there to be character development. Sometimes, the biggest steps forward are hidden in a paragraph or a single sentence.

One of my favorite such moments is in the sixth book when some random girls on the train invite Harry to sit with them during the ride to Hogwarts. He refuses and decides to sit with Luna and Neville instead. It is a long step from feeling embarrassed to be seen with them in The Order of the Phoenix.

What are some of your favorite underrated character moments from the Harry Potter series?
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Phoenix Hale
No broom

Re: Underrated Character Moments

Post by Phoenix Hale »

I always think about in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows at Malfoy Manor when Draco pretended he couldn't recognize Harry. It was such a tiny act of bravery yet it was still obvious that it was deliberate because he wanted to rebel in any safe way he could. And that moment also saved Harry from being tortured out of his mind or worse.
Angel Willows
No broom

Post by Angel Willows »

If I had to choose a moment, I'd pick the scene in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince when Leanne finds Katie with the cursed necklace. I ended up roleplaying Leanne on a Harry Potter roleplay server, so I got to put myself into her shoes. I think it was amazing on how the actress portrayed her, and she definitely deserves more screen time than what the director gave her.
Mya Abititeux
No broom

Post by Mya Abititeux »

I think that one of the most underrated things throughout the series is Hermione's S.P.E.W. movement. It is completely overlooked in the movies and she is heavily criticized with little support in the books. She wanted to correct something she felt was wrong. The treatment of elves is completely unfair and Hermione just wanted to help them.
Aurelia Grayson
No broom

Post by Aurelia Grayson »

If there is a single underrated moment that comes to mind when I think of the Harry Potter films, it has to be the way that Kenneth Branner (AKA Gilderoy Lockhart) reacts in the finale of the chamber of secrets whenever the memory charm backfires as that alone was an amazing scene to imagine within the books and I don't think that Kenneth gets enough credit for just how perfectly he suited the role and brought what I imagined Lockhart to be to life.
Evie Figg
Oakshaft 79

Post by Evie Figg »

For me, not only was it underrated but also not included in the movies whatsoever! Hermione's work she did with S.P.E.W. It truly inspired me, as a kid reading the books, as I was passionate about animal rights, and I wanted to create my own organization in order to preserve and save their lives, just as Hermione wanted to help the house elves. She's one of my favourite characters just for this reason!

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”