Harry Potter TV Series

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Harry Potter TV Series

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

It seems that every popular piece of media, whether it originally started as a book, movie, or even video game, is getting some sort of TV adaptation. His Dark Materials will soon be going into its second season after the failed movie, Assassin's Creed world is in development at Netflix and so on.

There have been rumors about Harry Potter TV series for ages. However, this summer and fall the rumors started again after Warner Media said that they are interested in making TV series based on Harry Potter that would be streamed on HBO Max. One of such shows is supposedly an Albus Dumbledore prequel.

Naturally, nothing is official and any real TV series is a long time away. I would really like a show in Marauders era or during the first wizarding war. Even going back to the founders holds a special appeal. While I would not quite like it, reboot the original movie series as a TV show would be a great way to introduce Harry Potter to a younger audience and with more time, we could see some of our favorite scenes that did not make it in the movies!

What are your thoughts on a Harry Potter TV series? What kind of adaptation do you want to see?
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Re: Harry Potter TV Series

Post by February Fortescue »

Once, again, the rumours are flying that HBO Max is is getting ready to create a new Harry Potter series, and the only thing I've heard is that it will be set at Hogwarts. I am very excited and I hope the rumours are true!

I'm fairly flexible about the subject, but I have some favorite ideas. I would most enjoy seeing something concerning the founders of Hogwarts: how they originally met, why they decided to form a school, the creation of the castle, obtaining various magical objects, their friendships, Gryffindor and Slytherin's falling out, etc. This is my first choice.

I'd like to see the time period when Molly and Arthur grew up. I think Arthur Weasley is probably one of the most perfect characters in the series and doesn't get enough attention. I'd like to meet Molly's brothers. I'd also like to learn more about the three Black sisters, and the choices they made. I think Andromeda married for love and Bellatrix for connections, but what about Narcissa? Those are my opinions, of course.

My third choice would be the Marauder's era. How fascinating this would be! To see them grow up, and how it all played out at Hogwarts. How James and Sirius met Remus and Peter, their developing friendships, and later betrayal.

Currently, after watching the Fantastic Beasts franchise, I'm not particularly interested in Dumbledore's backstory, unless they can explain how the character went from wearing a muggle suit to wizarding robes.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about watching a story about Harry and that generation's children. I'd didn't care much for Cursed Child, even though I wasn't surprised by everything that happened. It somehow didn't feel...right.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Regardless of what kind of remake they create, I'd still watch it :lol: Having said that, however, I do agree with February that I'm not all that interested in Dumbledore's background story. I would really like to see a general Hogwarts story with changing plot lines following many different students through their Hogwarts school years. This would give the chance to explore all the areas of Hogwarts and go into each house more in-depth. I'd like to see more of a drama-type genre of show.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Violet Lake
No broom

Post by Violet Lake »

As awesome as it would be to re-do the movies as a show, it just would not be the same without the same actors. But there is still plenty of story left open for them to explore. The Marauders for example would be very interesting to see played out. And there is tons of talented people that would definitely fit the roles and do them justice, if done right.
Lucia Dinapoli
No broom

Post by Lucia Dinapoli »

I do have to agree, seeing a fresh take would be wonderful especially since the films really didn’t grasp a lot of the concepts, characters and story lines the book did, but it would be challenging to step away from the on screen actors we are all used to. It’s hard for me to imagine anyone other than Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley for example. If they’re going to go ahead with it (although they’ve been saying they are for years already) I think they’re going to be really challenged finding the correct people to stand into those roles and not fumble it.
Willow Carter
No broom

Post by Willow Carter »

I would watch anythng that's Harry Potter related. Although, I really would like a show on the next Gen. at Hogwarts. Considering, they're living in our time (the events of Cursed Child are taking place, like, right now). And it would be fun to see how Hogwarts has grown in the last few decades.
Song-Li Young
No broom

Post by Song-Li Young »

I agree with Willow Carter I would like to see a new Era of Witches and Wizards.. see how life at Hogwarts is now in this 2022 Era, I think it would make an good Show to do like an Hogwarts School Drama Series, that would be amazing!!! :lol: I also think it would be an good idea to show how Hogwarts came to be, you know the story on the original Founders: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Salazar Slytherin, & Rowena Ravenclaw! It would be cool to see the whole story, if you know what I mean! :)
Aura Nightmoon
No broom

Post by Aura Nightmoon »

I would love something about when Hogwarts was founded, but as others have mentioned, I would also like to see Hogwarts in the current time and how things have changed. It would be neat to see stories about current students and general school life since we do get that in the Harry Potter books, but it's more focused on the plot surrounding Harry's destiny or whatnot and Voldemort. I want to see more about the daily life of a typical student at Hogwarts and maybe tales about all of the ghosts living there.
Luke Snekker
No broom

Post by Luke Snekker »

I would love to first see a show that is really close to the books and tells us the real story of Harry and Ginny for example. How she just was so cool and pretty that he fell for her and how they kissed for the first time in front of like 50 people. But there has been so many very important moments missing in the movies, since there simply wasn't enough time or the technology wasn't quite as good and cheap to use as it is now.
Aquaria Sandalwood
No broom

Post by Aquaria Sandalwood »

I would love just about any Harry Potter TV series! I think a Marauders era or founders era would be ideal, and a Dumbledore one would be pretty cool too, although I feel that we already kind of have that a little bit with Fantastic Beasts. I'm not really sure how I feel about a reboot of the movies as a TV series either. On the one hand, it would be cool to see, and it would help introduce a younger generation to Harry Potter, but at the same time, I'm not sure how I feel about trying to replace the original movies. I would still watch it though, if I'm being honest :P

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”