Naming Conventions

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Naming Conventions

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

One thing that really irked me about the epilogue (besides the fact that it exists) are the names chosen for the Potter children. We have Albus Severus, James Sirius and Lily Luna.

Besides the fact that I think naming children after living or dead people that were close to you is rather weird, I think all of the Potter children's names are burdensome for the children and come with a huge amount of baggage. Not to mention some of those people were not nice at all (Snape and arguably, Dumbledore). It would have been far kinder to either not name them after dead people or simply have them as middle names. Ron and Hermione went in far better and healthier direction, as well as most of the Weasley family.

I also think that Ginny did not really get much sway in the naming of her children, but she wanted to allow Harry to honor memories of those he lost.

What do you think of the names in the epilogue? Do you think there is someone (dead or living) in the HP series that would be better to name Potter's children after? Are there any other names not connected to the characters that you think would suit the children better?
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Re: Naming Conventions

Post by February Fortescue »

I agreed with the names chosen by Harry and Ginny for their three children.

Children often want to name their offspring after one of their parents or grandparents, and then perhaps people they know and value. Arthur and Molly Weasley have 7 children, with 5 of them having children of their own needing names. Percy had already taken the name of Molly for one of his daughters. It was a given that George would probably want the name Fred. And then when you look at your friends for potential baby names, Teddy will probably want his parents' names. Luna has possibly already had sons, so her name was sort of available.

Harry wanted to honor his own parents, so, sure, he went with James and Lily. Sirius had no offspring and no one would be likely to be named after him, and Harry was close to Sirius, so I think James Sirius was a really good choice. Lily Luna sounds great together., and Luna was grateful friends, although I suspect there will be many more Lunas in the future.

I'm no fan of Dumbledore, but I don't see either him or Snape having namesakes. Both men played a huge role in saving the wizarding world from Voldemort. I'm thinking Harry and Ginny didn't want their memory to ever be forgotten. It is a huge burden for a little boy to carry those two names, though, I think. And his initials? ASP? Almost as if his house has been chosen for him in advance, although I guess I could say the same about James Sirius.

If Harry and Ginny had had a fourth child, a girl, I wonder if they would had named her Dobby Hedwig? :lol:

The only other thing I can think of is maybe Lily Gwenog, or Hagrid Horace. None of them have offspring, as far as I know. Personally, I'd rather be called Abus Severus and go by Al or Sev. I like Dobby Hedwig, too :D

Or they could have choosen names they like. Harrison, Jameson, Virginia, Liliana. Something along those lines.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Re: Naming Conventions

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

I’ve been staring at this post since it turned up wondering how to (or if I could) respond to it.

The epilogue of the Harry Potter series is one of the few most banes of my existence.

After all. Those. YEARS ...

— Actually, Flabbergasting, WHAT??

Honestly, I’m not even going to dignify her shenanigans with a full and worthy response here (as far as creativity goes), my sweet Maxim, no matter how well deserved by your beautiful self. Other than that I will say I do appreciate the writing in The Cursed Child, but that my first reaction to this climax and those names was of utter and total cringing.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”