Better than in the Book

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Better than in the Book

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

Yes, the title might seem a tad sacrilegious, thinking that the movie presented some things better than they were described in the books. But sometimes, especially when it comes to describing emotions, it just hits harder for me to see it on the screen than read it in a book.

One of such scenes was when Harry Potter returns with Cedric Diggory’s body at the end of The Goblet of Fire. Hearing his father scream "Let me through. Let me through. LET ME THROUGH! That's my son! My boy. MY BOY! No, no... NO! NO! NO!" was just heartbreaking. Much sadder and intense, the grief and atmosphere of shock was much better captured.

What are some scenes from the books that you think were better executed on the screen?
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
William Ezra Huxley
No broom

Re: Better than in the Book

Post by William Ezra Huxley »

To me, it happen to be a chapter in the sixth movie, 'The Half Blood Prince'. The chapter is 'cave', where Albus and Harry was in search of one of the Horcrux. In the movie, when they succeded aqcuire the Horcrux, inferies started to attack them even drowned Harry. Right after that, some fires went to water and attack the inferies, saving Harry from drowning. Harry went back to surface and saw Albus using fiendfyre which was big enough to fill the whole cave. Once Albus grabbed Harry by his side, he said a spell (which I forgot the name) and the fire that burned on the surface of the water split into two, created a passage with fire walls surrounding it for them to pass. Now that is an amazing scene to me because the movie shown us how powerful Albus really is! The book though, in my opinion, didn't show the spectacular moment like how the movie did. In the book, Albus created fire in the form of lasso to get rid of the inferies. Not that specatular comparing to the movie, again, in my opinion.
Anne-Marie Gagne

Post by Anne-Marie Gagne »

I do believe a lot of things in the movies actually convey emotions so much better than the books did (especially the deaths of characters) but one thing that sticks out to me, and makes Deathly Hallows Part 2 my second favorite movie, is the chaos of the battle while Harry, Hermione, and Ron are making their way through to get to where Snape and Voldemort are.

The music helps a lot and the lack of dialogue (there are some but it's only at most three lines and one of them is a kid yelling "Crucio!") really sells the fear and the panic they're feeling trying to stay alive.

Also in that movie just before this scene when they're in the Room of Requirement. Actually seeing Draco and Blaise's faces just hits hard.
Nyx Blue
No broom

Post by Nyx Blue »

The scene in HBP when Harry is on Felix Felicis and happens across Slughorn. The whole exchange is hilarious. Not to mention Aragog's funeral.

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”