Getting Into Harry Potter

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prefects

Chloe Lavender
No broom

Post by Chloe Lavender »

Actually, getting into Harry Potter is a funny story for me.

I was sitting in my Honor English class and I'm talking to one of my friends that LOVES the books. I had never even heard of there being books.

Me: "Who the deuce is Harry Potter?"

My friend seriously fell off her desk in shock. I couldn't stop laughing at her. Once she got up and I stopped laughing, she told me about him and I thought it sounded really familiar.

My Friend: "You probably saw the movies."

Me: "Oh yeah! I did. The one with the snake. That was so cool! They should make more of them."

My Friend: "The third one is coming out next week."

Me: "When did the second one come out?"

That's when she took a drink of my Sprite and spilled a little on the table. She couldn't believe the words I was saying. Well, she told me about the first one and that night I watched it for the first time and loved it.

The next day in English, my friend asked if I liked it and I told her it was just a good as the second one and that I was definitely loving the movies. That's when she tells me that I should read them. I looked at her completely lost.

Me: "They wrote books? Really?"

My Friend: "Oh goodness, we're having a nice chat tomorrow."

I only shrugged and then we went back to our class discussion. The next day, my friend comes up to me with three books in her hands. I NEVER saw her cary books and just stared at her.

Me: "You never carry books, what are those for?"

My Friend: "For you. It's Harry Potter. There are two other ones out, btu those are huge. I didn't feel like bringing them."

I looked at her in disgust. I didn't want to read all those. She noticed and jsut smiled at me.

My Friend: "Don't worry. If you hate the first one, I swear I'll leave you alone about it."

I agreed and read the first TWO that night. I was hooked. I even started carrying the thrid one to school so I could finishes it before the Third movie. When I say the third movie, I quoted random things from it as the characters said them. It annoyed my mom, but I was having a field day. After that, I took my friend's fourth and fifth books home with me. I kept them all summer and read them about 4 times over.

Chloe Summers, Gryffindor, ch841, USA
Last edited by Chloe Lavender on Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aravis Dolan
No broom

Post by Aravis Dolan »

A few of my friends had read the books and liked them. So (I think I was in 2nd or 3rd grade) I went to my school library to check out the books. They didn't have Sorcerer's Stone in, so I checked out Chamber of Secrets. Now, my friends are shocked to hear I didn't read them in order the first time! I love HP! I've probably read them all 5-10 times...at least!
Last edited by Aravis Dolan on Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olivia Charm
Oakshaft 79

Post by Olivia Charm »

when i first heard about the "harry potter" books i decided that i will never ever read them.
( i don't like reading books that are so popular because usually after all the wonderful reviews i'm ending up being disapointed.)

so the days past by without any harry books, and then i had to go to my dentist. my mom got the hours mixed up, and i was there, on my own, an hour and a half early.
i was boerd, and i checked out the waiting room. between all the boring medical magazines ("smile of the week"- yuk!), i found a book. yup, the first harry potter book.

'well,' i thought 'i got nothing better to do' and i opend the book without any joy at all, and started reading.
an hour and 24 minutes later i finshed the book, and i was so excited and thrilled, that i just left my dentist's office 6 minutes before my turn (wich i wated so long for!), and went to the nearby book store to get the second one...
and ever since then, i'm a true fan (:
Giroro, Gilbert & Glimfeather - love forever!
Sycyla Rose
No broom

Post by Sycyla Rose »

I suppose I started reading them in year 2 so I was about eight or nine and my mum wanted to start me reading. So she bought a book that was in her area of reading, fantasy, and was for children. Then every Saturday she'd read a chapter but I wanted to read more so I read it on my own and the big long book wasn't so big.

After I'd done my mum did the same thing with the chamber of secrets for my brother and I just stole the book and read it in afew days. At the time in school we had to write book logs and my longest one was on the first harry potter book.

Though it wasn't until I was in secondary school and made friends that I was really into it. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Merry Notters
Oakshaft 79

Post by Merry Notters »

I can't fully remember how I got into Harry Potter because it was about 5 years ago I believe that I started to get interested into it, but I'll try my best.

My whole grade 5 class went down to the school library to pick out a book for our reading block or whatever you call it. So I go down to the library and can't find any books to read. I then see a book called Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. So I picked it up and read the back of it to see what it was about and it sounded interesting. I then checked it out and read the whole thing and I really liked it so I ready Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets after that and then the rest of the series following it. I then learnt that there were movies about the Harry Potter series, so I eventually seen all 4 movies alot of times. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> I can't wait until Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix comes out in theaters/DVD form and I also cannot wait until the 7th Harry Potter book comes out.

Merry Notters (Ravenclaw, me818, Canada)
Ariana Selena
No broom

Post by Ariana Selena »

When I was in third grade, almost everyone was reading them. My teacher was too, I would see this line up of kids sitting on the ground during silent reading time totally immersed in Harry Potter. I was convinced that I just had to read them because everyone else was. I started off by reading books 1-3, when my aunt said she liked the books a lot but thought GoF was "too mature" probably for my age. My parents didn't care, but because of what she said I tried to gravitate away from them for a little while. In fifth grade I began again and was hooked on Hogwarts and the trio. Ever since I have read each book almost eight times, and my bookshelf consists only of fantasy novels. Every day I check back here, as well as mugglenet to keep up to date.

And that's how I got into Harry Potter.

Ariana Selena
Andie Tucker
No broom

Post by Andie Tucker »

My sister gave me the intrest in Harry Potter. She owned all of the books, and told me the read them because they were really good. I agreed once I read them (the books that were out at the time). Then I joined alot of online fan club, type things, and I got more involved and wondered what would happen in the next books, etc. Then my sister and I went to see JK Rowling and got our books signed *That was cool* and now I am here at HOL!
James Hlavaty
No broom

Post by James Hlavaty »

I have been a fan of witchcraft and such for a very long time have watched "Charmed" since it started and was sadden when it left the air but all things must come to an end.

Started to read Harry Potter about a year after the first book came out and since then have gathered most of the books and movies . I can't imagin how many times I have read or watched the movies . Am waiting for the next and final book to come out
/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

James Hlavaty - ja871

First year USA
Sydni Lee
No broom

Post by Sydni Lee »

I forget how old I was, but I was younger than 10. Anyways, I was at the library with my mom and there was this sign that said Harry Potter book Discussion at whatever time. And my mom asked me if I had heard of the book and if I wanted to read it. So I said sure, and my mom read it to me and my brother. My brother wasn't very much into it, but I liked it, so I kept reading them as the came out. I saw the movies, and thought they were ok, not great. But i was never really into it, just a series I liked. But then last year my friend gave me the link to this site and I signed up and decided to read the books again. And this time I was like "whoa, awesome!" And that's basically it, although I am more into the Harry Potter world than the actual books now, but the books are still amazing! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Sydni Lee, sy608, Gryffindor, USA
Last edited by Sydni Lee on Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sydni Lee 3rd year Gryffindor
Emmy Rose Sanders
No broom

Post by Emmy Rose Sanders »

It must have been in the fourth grade. My teacher asked our class how many students knew about JKR's series, Harry Potter. Only two or three of us raised our hands. My teacher announced that they were coming out with the first movie son. I decided to check it out that weekend. My mom took me to the book store and I got the first two books. I devoured them that weekend and the coming weekend. That was seven years ago and I still love the series today.
Last edited by Emmy Rose Sanders on Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stiina Black
No broom

Post by Stiina Black »

Stiina Black ( Gryffindor, ST824, USA)

Back History: I have been reading since i was three. My mom got me started and ever since i just couldnt stop.

How I got hooked: Well when the first book came out when i was 8 and i wasnt into fantasy/magic so i didnt read it. Well about four months before the 6th book came out everyone at work, and I do mean everyone,(I work as a reservationist at a dinner theater) was re-reading all of the books and they bought me books 1-5 as "Another soon to be HP fanatic". They said I would get hooked and I did!! I read the first book in one day and it took me about a week and a half to finish the other four. I couldnt believe how amazing the books were and that i didnt read them before. From when i first read them all and today, i have read each one eight times and am working on the 9th time so i can have them all re-read for the last book. My family calls me crazy because of how much I love the books. I have even convinced some friends to start reading them. The are all hooked now also.
Ariana Selena
No broom

Post by Ariana Selena »

My Mini Story!

Here I was, sitting in a corner in my third grade classroom. It was reading time, and today was a special day- Pajama Day. I had folded my blanket in the corner right next to the whiteboard, near Alexa, who had already claimed her territory by the aquarium. Milky white fish were swimming above as I peeked over Alexa's shoulder, behind the book that was glued to her face. It was titled Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, by J.K. Rowling. Alexa pried away from the print to look into my face and ask me to sit back down and read my own book, and old Nancy Drew that lay unopened on my blanket. Too late, because now I had had enough time to read half of page number 27 (I was a fast reader). I said fine, and I sat back down. But then curiosity got the better of me, and I whispered, "Is Hedwig the owl? And who's Uncle Vernon?" She glared at me and pointed to another book resting by her feet titled Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and depicted a boy flying on a broomstick and reaching for a small ball with wings, a unicorn in the background. Alexa was now immersed once again, so I leaned over and clasped the book. I have never liked to read the synopsis on the backs of novels; instead I always choose a book by its cover, despite what the adults always say. I flipped to page one and began to read the chapter following the picture of a baby boy sleeping under the stars in a wrapped blanket.

"Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much," (pg. 1)*.

I smiled and Alexa and I read together, side by side, for the rest of the afternoon.

Works Cited:
Rowling, J. K. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. New York: Arthur a. Levine Books, 1998. 1-309.

So that's how it went! I have been hooked ever since.

-Ariana Selena
As Pina
No broom

Post by As Pina »

I went into HP movies when I was 11, but I really didn't read the books, it was until my 13 when I started to read them, I remember my first book was the OOTP and I just loved them, after that my mom started ro buy the books to me and I became a fan /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Keira Ashworth
No broom

Post by Keira Ashworth »

Hmmm...it's a pretty simple story.

I was about 9 years old. At that time I read everything that I could. My house library wasn't useful anymore, as I had read all of its books more than once. They were all pretty short.
So, one day, my mother came home with a present. She told me it was a long book, she hoped it would take me a while to read it (254 pages at that time was a lot to me!). At first, it didn't exactly "called my attention", but as I got "into" the story, I found the magic within /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Now, 7 years later, I'm waiting for the 7th book to be released! Having read all of them like 7 times each by now! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Phlox Flammula
No broom

Post by Phlox Flammula »

Well I admit that when I first heard of Harry Potter, I instantly despised it. I had never read it before, so my anger couldn't be justified. It was too popular, I thought, I simply wouldn't read it because everyone else was reading it (this is an unfortunate habit of mine; I tend not to do things that I might like simply because it's popular) Well, all of my friends loved the book, and my best friend was mourning over the fifth at school and swearing that she would never finish the book or the series because of what had happened to her favorite character, Sirius. This was one of the first moments when I had a sudden spurt of curiosity. "Oh," I replied to her mournful sobs, "Well, I'm sorry. I don't know, I don't want to read something that everyone else is reading. What's so great about it?" All she could do was glare as I walked away, slightly uneasy at the outward lie I had just spouted off in her time of need. What I really wanted to say was, what kind of book could make her that depressed?

It was a month or so after that when I saw the first movie on television. I was curious, so I watched it. (there was nobody else around my house at the time, and I had my remote to change the channel in case somebody walked in) I had missed the first part, and had come in when they were battleing the troll in the bathroom. I finished watching the movie, now my curiosity peaking.

It was finally the summer of the release of the sixth book. Without any resent contact with harry potter related instances, my mind was free of this, at the time, popular nuisance. Then came the reports of people lining up and getting ready for the sixth book. What was the big deal? Was my constant thought everytime I saw on of these reports. A day or so after this was when all resistance fell. My mom had had bought the first book for my little brother to read over the summer. A couple of more days went by as I glared at the innocent paper back book with the black haired boy chasing a bright gold ball with wings. My younger brother, who had no desire to read anything, had abandoned the book like so many others and my mother was starting to get testy (she homeschooled my little brother, and had plans to make him read a chapter a day, but hadn't gotten to making him yet) So, summer boredom, the fact that nobody else was reading the lonely book, and plain curiosity got the better of me. Frustrated, I swiped up the book from the cluttered desk it was sitting on and cloistered myself in my room, all resistance fallen.

It isn't very difficult to say what happened next. I finished the first book within hours. I then begged my mom to buy the rest of the books, taking a total of two weeks to read them all. I become obssesed easily, but in this case it was worse. My only regret being that I didn't set aside my pride earlier and begin my Harry Potter adventure sooner.

Phlox Flammula, Gryffindor, ph808, USA
Falay Marker
No broom

Post by Falay Marker »

The first Harry Potter book came out couple of years before I could read, but most of the rest of my family had read it. So, I asked my mom to read it to me, since even then, I loved books to just be read to me, the long ones. My mom read it to me and I fell in love with the story, we'd finished it in less then two weeks. By the time the second one came out, I could read, I could read at a fifth grade level when I was in the second grade. So I read the second on in less then a week, and then I read both books over and over. I read the third in two days, and after of course, reviewing the first and second several times through.

When the fourth book came out, we had to get two copies, because my brother wanted to read it first just as much as I did. I spent most of the next few weeks hidden in the long grass beside the school's field I live near. Then the fifth and the sixth came, and what do you know, I'm here, at HOL, confining my Harry Potter and Hogwarts obsession. I read all the books at least a couple times a year still, I never want to fall back on my knowledge. My family owns both the school books also, and I read those often enough to know plenty about the world of Harry Potter. From little innocent child to, well, me, I've always loved Harry Potter since the time I can still remember.
Ardeliah Longbottom
No broom

Post by Ardeliah Longbottom »

Back when the first book came out I was worried that my son wasn't reading as well as he should be so I went looking for books we could read together that would keep his interest. Well as it turns out he just has a learning disorder that prevents him from performing as well as he should on written tests and his reading is actually 4 grade levels above the one he is in. But I was hooked and couldn't put them down. I would wait in line for the next book in the series at midnight just to read it. The movies as well. Being an avid book junkie helps (I'll read anything) The latest book HP7 I read in just 5 hours and twice more the same week. I am a little sad that the series has ended but it has sparked such interest in myself at least that I know I will be visiting my friends at Hogwarts often over the years.

Twilight = hundreds of pages of googly eyes and unrealistic stalkerish controlling romance and fainting and head-crushing-talk.
May Lee
No broom

Post by May Lee »

well well i know harry potter for the first time when my classmate told me about it.. she was so excited. and honestly, she made me curious about what she excited about. so i decided to read the first book of harry potter - and the sorcerer stone.

i admited it, that book was so interesting! JKR wrote about wizard world, what a uniqe things... and she described it perfectly! it stimulate my imagination as through i live in it... Hogwarts school, their wizard clothes, with wizard hat and black cloak, how they spell the charms..
so far those are really nice. who doesn't want to live in the world like that???
JKR describes everything that doesn't exist in this muggle world.
i think everyone hopes that we have a REAL hogwarts school someday, include the lessons and especially, the charms.. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> (it would be fun if we can repair anything only with a word 'reparo') *gg*

however, Harry potter is the best for me! thank goodness i stopped here and found my favourite school.. Hogwarts online!! yeah, at least we have Hogwarts in virtual world.
wish i could finish all my classes and terms, have a lot of friends here and first of all, i should find me a wand, broom and owl..
>> Burn the evils of the world with brilliant truth <<
Scott Novak
No broom

Post by Scott Novak »

In second grade, most of my class had read the first book and they all loved it. Even my teacher had a copy.

Then in late May at Rehobeth Beach, my grandma gave me the first HP book. We got home from the party at 10 pm, but I stayed up for another hour and got to chapter six(staying up until 11pm is a big thing for a second grader /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ).

I was hooked. I bought book 2, 3, and 4. I finally understood why everyone was so crazy about HP.

I missed the midnight magic for book 5, but made it for the 6 and 7 book. I cried after the epilogue, tears of joy and depression.

This incredible avatar is courtesy of Prof. Anya Chutney

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities-Dumbledore
Corisa Bennet
No broom

Post by Corisa Bennet »

I was 7, in first grade (no I'm not stupid, it's just that in Finland school starts when you turn 7 /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ) and everyone loved Harry Potter. Now, I'm that kind of person who doesn't like what everyone else likes, I like to be a bit different, so I refused to touch the book called "Harry Potter".
When I turned 8, my dad made me and a friend go to the movies, and well, what else was there than the FIRST Harry Potter movie.
I didn't want to go, but I didn't have a choice. Oh no!
Well, I saw the movie.
And I went home.
Two months later I was glued to the books /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Sig made by Jasmin at the Sig 'n' Av Palace
PM me for info.

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”