What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Sorcha Whitecliffe
No broom

Post by Sorcha Whitecliffe »

'Sorcha' is Gaelic for 'light' (as opposed to 'dark') and 'Whitecliffe' was the surname of one of my 8th great-grandmothers. ;)
Howken Stark
No broom

Post by Howken Stark »

Interesting topic!

Actually Howken is a word from Stephen Kings most popular novel series called "The Dark Tower". Howken is a hypnosis technique that the main character uses with a bullet from his revolver...

When it comes to Stark, that's my favorite word in the English language! Google it, it's an interesting word... And also, some of my favorite characters in different animes and tv shows are called Stark :)
Adalya Gilagant
No broom

Post by Adalya Gilagant »

Well my HOL name is a mix of two, three if you include the middle name found on my profile, of my role playing characters.

Adalya: Just something that I came up with that I liked.

Octavia: This comes from the actress Octavia Spencer who is one of my favorite actresses

Gilagant: The last name of a good friend of mine.
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

Sadly, my first choice name, "William Lestrange", was already taken six years back. I ended up having to shorten the first name to "Will" to be unique. As for the last name I chose? I simply have always been intrigued by Bellatrix Lestrange; even if I disagree with a lot of what she stands for, I admire her vitality, loyalty, energy, and name!
Vesper Seasun
No broom

Post by Vesper Seasun »

My HOL name is just an anagram of my favourite Harry Potter character. :D

He is my favourite character because he is so complex and it was always hard to tell his motivations and whether or not he was evil. Also, when his loyalty was revealed it was interesting to see Harry's perceptions of him change.
Last edited by Vesper Seasun on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ana Wall
No broom

Post by Ana Wall »

My first name is Diana and when I was a little child I wasn't able to say it, so I said Ana. My grandma still says Ana, of course in german ;) .
Last edited by Ana Wall on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poisyn LaRue
No broom

Post by Poisyn LaRue »

"Would not a rose by any other name be just as sweet?"

Except when there is a snake hidden behind it!!

My name is Poisyn LaRue (pronounced POY-SI LAH-ROO). My first name is a mispelling of poison and my surname is "The Rue" in French. For those who don't know, Rue is a evergreen native to eastern Europe that is used to treat pain in small doses, however it becomes deadly in larger doses. I chose this name because it suits me. I'm calm and quiet and helpful until I'm mistreated (misused).
Poisyn LaRue || op838 || First Year || Slytherin
Scarlett Beamish
No broom

Post by Scarlett Beamish »

My HOL name came from a very complicated and mysterious process.

My favorite color and an altered household brand name that was staring me in the face :rolleyes: what with all that mystery perhaps I should be taking Divination.
Kane Windsor
No broom

Post by Kane Windsor »

I chose my HOL name because it sounded very regal. I picked the two names because it sounded very traditional and Old English.
Prof. Polaris Black
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Polaris Black »

My RL surname is derivative of Black. Most Black family members are named after stars or constellations. I chose Polaris because it was unique to several websites and services. It looks like I have a lot of distant relatives at HOL!
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!
Meredith Malkins
No broom

Post by Meredith Malkins »

I chose Meredith Malkins for several reasons. The first is my real name starts with an "m".
The second is that Meredith is my favourite name at the moment!
And the third reason is because I read the Handbook, and I didn't want my name to be refused because someone else had it. I reckoned that Malkins wouldn't be thought of too often, as Madam Malkins wasn't a major part. I also happen to like Madam Malkins in the book.

See, four reasons! :P
Simelírië Tindómiel
No broom

Post by Simelírië Tindómiel »

I've been using this name ever since I started learning Quenya [One of the languages of the Elves from LotR].

The actualy name is Silmelírië Tindómiel, but I made a mistake during registration. The name means "StarSong" "Morning Star". Or something like that. I really like music and the stars. :D
~*~
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."
Simelírië Tindómiel ~ si958 ~ First Year ~ Slytherin
Cherylinn Buvelle
No broom

Post by Cherylinn Buvelle »

Well, I chose Cherylinn since my family nicknamed me Cherry even though it's incredibly far off from my RL name. Buvelle, on the other hand, is the surname of my favourite champion to play on League of Legends, Sona. :)
Taylor Cassie Summerlyn
No broom

Post by Taylor Cassie Summerlyn »

My name is a random combination of names put together to form my HOL name.
Taylor is the name a friend of mine gave me because I don't like my real name and I wouldn't tell her what it was. It ended up sticking and now everyone calls me that, online and irl.
Cassie is the name of the dog I had when I signed up for HOL.
and Summerlyn is a random name I chose off a last name generator for writers. I just liked the sound of it and thought it went well with Taylor Cassie.
Alice Gatai
No broom

Post by Alice Gatai »

Alice is one of my favorite names, I think it's just beautiful.
Gatai is the last name of a brazilian female writer, Zélia Gatai. I read her book once and her writing style simply moved me.
Kind • Loyal • Tenacious
Valandra Neteru
No broom

Post by Valandra Neteru »

My HOL name is Valandra Neteru. I got Valandra from a show called Roswell. It was the birth name of one of the characters on her home planet. I always thought it was beautiful. Neteru is from a book series by l.a. banks about vampires. It refers to the main character's purpose of battling evil.
Mary Clairyn
No broom

Post by Mary Clairyn »

My HOL name is Mary Clairyn. It remains me about my shoes.. just it! :lol:
Leif Svennson
No broom

Post by Leif Svennson »

My first name, Ash, is just a name that I happen to like, probably mostly because it is earthy and unisex/neutral. It is not a nickname. I was also considering several other names, including Leaf, Olive, Aspen, and Ivy (do you notice a pattern? ;) ), but I finally settled on Ash.

My last name, Wiseth, is my mother's maiden name. Interestingly enough, it actually used to be "Viset" (which is closer to how it is pronounced -- "Vee-set"), but my maternal grandfather changed it because he ran a photography business at the time (while my mom was growing up as a Muggle in Norway) and thought it "looked better" as Wiseth. I chose it as my name for several reasons: I simply like it as a name, it makes me feel closer to my mother and to my Norwegian roots, and it means "wise" (thereby reminding me that even the greatest magical spells cannot surpass wisdom).
Last edited by Leif Svennson on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ailime Wright
Moontrimmer

Post by Ailime Wright »

I can't say much about my first name, Ailime, as it can reveal my real name, being just a mix of the letters, and I absolutely love what I ended up with.
My last name is one that I happen to like. I always wanted to have an English name, since originally, in real life, I am from a different country. And I think because without the 'w', 'right' defines me, as I was always the white sheep in every environment: friends, family, school and so on.

Return to “The Great Hall”