Lesson 1 Discussion

Class led by Prof. Sollarna Fumbleknot

Moderator: Fumbly

Fumbly
Oakshaft 79

Lesson 1 Discussion

Post by Fumbly »

Hello Students!

This is the official class discussion thread for Lesson 1. Guests are welcome!

Lesson 1 = https://www.sollarna.com/lessons/lesson-1
Assignment 1 = https://www.sollarna.com/lessons/lesson ... ssignments

Please freely discuss story ideas, struggles, advice, and support here! And remember... sharing in the forum helps you to earn monthly participation extra credit points. ;)

~Fumbly
Former (for those who don't know or remember me):
Hufflepuff HoH & HO High Cheese Muffin. Professor of Wandmaking, Runes & Charms.
Current:
Herder of nerds & chickens. Web designer, author, historian & artist.
HOL Professor of Write Your World.
Reggy Faraday
No broom

Re: Lesson 1 Discussion

Post by Reggy Faraday »

Heeey, spitballing.

I feel like I have some fertile ground with one idea, but I'm still feeling around for something that gives me a little more direction. I seem to be real good at setting up scenarios, but not characters' problems or wants, something that would fold into a plot that threads through a story.

The germ of what I have is this: there is a kid (not sure yet how old) who is spending the summer at a farmhouse, lots of countryside around. I feel like this kid is bringing a desire to control their environment in some way, usually by assigning meaning to things, or following concocted rituals. For example, they declare a color of the day and decide why it is today's designated color and what that might mean. They count tadpoles in the lake, just to they know they're all there. There's probably some aspect of their life that they have no control over that they're navigating by doing these things. Or a desire to connect to something larger than themself?

Other part of the germ: somewhere in the countryside that surrounds this kid, there is a place known as the Church of the Night Frog. I am not sure (and neither is the kid, I think) whether this Night Frog figure is a benevolent one or not. There are maybe three spheres of influence converging in this idea, one of the kid's family (also not clear on what this looks like yet, oops), one of the kid's imagination, and one of the Night Frog and the countryside.

I feel like I need to feel out the kid's family dynamic before I can truly start rolling with the conflict in the story. I have no idea what the tensions are in this story yet, outside of this brief map of the three areas of influence.

How are other folks' story ideas coming along?
Hufflepuff second year :: re1080

"'I wish somebody would write a story sometime about the people who warm up the heroes afterward.'" - Moominland Midwinter
Fumbly
Oakshaft 79

Post by Fumbly »

Ooooh, you might want to skip ahead and take a peek at Lesson 3. In there, you will work through character sheets. Those character sheets are immensely helpful for connecting characters to the story line. There are some other worksheets mentioned in that lesson as well. Maybe poke around and see if any help.

If you do fill any of these out, hold onto your work. You'll be able to turn them in with November's homework! :)
Former (for those who don't know or remember me):
Hufflepuff HoH & HO High Cheese Muffin. Professor of Wandmaking, Runes & Charms.
Current:
Herder of nerds & chickens. Web designer, author, historian & artist.
HOL Professor of Write Your World.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Reggy! I wanted to tell you -- I read your siggy.
"'I wish somebody would write a story sometime about the people who warm up the heroes afterward.'" - Moominland Midwinter
I wanted to do something out of my regular pattern. I'd seen your siggy and .... the night before last I thought of a story to write! For this class! Based on the people who warm up the heroes afterward.

Thank you.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Pezzie Wolfe
Moontrimmer

Post by Pezzie Wolfe »

After much brain storming....I think I have some good ideas to work with. One jumped at me while waiting to see my RL doctor. So I think I'll be working out that one this term. I'm kinda of excited. I already found a great name for my main character.
Sig Tag by Pezzie. I Love NKOTB :wub:
HOL Member since August 2003 | Here's to 20 Years at HOL!

Return to “Write Your World”