Task 2: First Impressions

Moderators: Prof. Sky Alton, Prof. Kendra Givens, Arianna Stonewater, Prof. Rorey Padfoot

February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Re: Task 2: First Impressions

Post by February Fortescue »

February walked at a quick pace to the Hufflepuff booth. She briefly considered the butterbeer fountain, but she figured she could find more later on. Right now, there was only one thing on her mind: ice cream! She'd heard the Hufflepuffs had ice cream second to only one - Florean Fortescue - and he wasn't here. Off she went.

The first person she noticed was Prof. Tarma. February had immense respect for Tarma. The lady was very perceptive and didn't miss much. She thought she'd most likely overheard the conversation about prank wars, so February wasn't at all surprised when Tarma pointed to the ice cream. "I knew it!" she thought to herself. "Now THIS is the way to end the summer!" She began creating her brownie and ice cream treat.

Just before she took her first bite, she spotted Adaleine Shuster, another good friend she'd met recently, but felt like she'd know a long time. "Ada! I was worried you weren't going to make it in time. I just had to have some ice cream and say hello to the badgers. Seems like once Summer ends, our focus changes. In two weeks, it will be time for Slyth-o-ween, Hulffleween, Gryfftoberfest, and uh...the Roost. I can't wait! But that's not today."
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Tarma smiled as she saw Adaleine and waved. Then February came over and, yes, ice cream is the choice to eat!

She'd noticed the high-jinks (and lo-jinks) going on and was ready to defuse, if needed, any explosions. But otherwise, things seemed to be going well and no one had been turned into a ferret yet or anything else (but she sort of thought that anyone being turned into a ferret would love it rather than not.)

Replenishing her mug of coffee with some fresh brew, she again leaned against the pillar, wrapping a 'no-see-um' charm around herself so that none of those dungbombs, stink pellets, jets of water or any other of the playful shenanigans would be deliberately directed at her. Then, reconsidering, and just in case, she put a shield charm on herself, that any such projectiles, if hitting her, would be precisely deflected and reflected back on their casters.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Brianna Caedmon
No broom

Post by Brianna Caedmon »

Brianna smiled as she took Emily's arm, her mind already running through the list of all the treats she was anticipating trying. Emily waved over the Gryffindor girl too, who introduced herself as Lora. Brianna smiled and introduced herself too, happy to make another new friend (she had been worried, being new to the school, that she wouldn't make any at all!).

When Lora mentioned butterbeer, Brianna's smile grew even wider. Of course, none of them were old enough, but she would be lying if she claimed she hadn't tried a sip or two of her parents already. And from memory it was absolutely delicious.

"I find I can't help but agree with Emily, Lora. It seems you have excellent taste. Lead us to the butterbeer! And then maybe we can see if anywhere has cake? I really feel like cake right now."
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot »

Rorey stepped out from behind the Lost and Found booth trying to see how the fair was going so far.

Oh look, lots of students, new and returning, a few professors as well, how nice! What a great turn out for the Welcome Fair. I must remember to tell Sky this was a fabulous idea.

Trying to see what booths should could make out from her position, Rorey spotted the butterbeer booth, and looked around to try and figure out if she could make it there and back, before anymore lost items were brought in. Rorey had already decided that is no one claimed the orange kitty in the lost and found booth, she was going to take it back to the Hufflepuff Common Room and keep it.
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~Ravenclaw~
Mae Flowers
No broom

Post by Mae Flowers »

I wander without direction through the welcome fair, feeling a bit intimidated by it all. It's my first year and I know I should join some kind of club or group, but the decisions feel infinite.

I've been torn between pursuing Care of Magical Creatures and Astronomy as careers. Although I have the next several years to figure it out, maybe now would be a good time to explore which I like more.

I make my way to the Astronomy Club booth, hosted by mostly Ravenclaws. I wave nervously and immediately turn around, feeling my cheeks begin to blush. They still smile at me, understanding that this is all a bit overwhelming when you're new.

As I continue to look around the fair, I find myself being drawn back to the Astronomy Club. I finally make my way back and am greeted by some friendly Ravenclaws. They tell me a bit about the club and hand me a parchment with meeting information on it. It's bright blue with golden constellations blinking on it. One club member displays a full starry sky out of her wand.

Although I'm open to joining other groups, I can tell I'm going to like it here. :)
Prof. Polaris Black
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Polaris Black »

Polaris was in Ravenclaw Tower, staring down at the crowds gathering for the Welcome Fair. This was her seventh year, her last as a student, and she was trying to savor the moment. Everybody had warned her that the first of September would be bittersweet. She saw Will fly by the window and waved to him; she couldn’t help but wonder whether all the seventh years were experiencing complex emotions too. And she couldn’t ask Elena and Kiri since they had left the tower ages ago.

A Welcome Fair was such a great idea – she silently wished that they held one when she was a newbie. All the booths were well attended and people were also milling around a butterbeer fountain. She idly wondered whether that fountain was destined to become a permanent fixture. Suddenly she just knew it was time to go - those legendary Rave blueberry muffins wouldn’t last forever. So she grabbed her extensible backpack and headed down the spiral staircase. As her eyes adapted to the bight sunlight, she realized someone even arranged for perfect weather too!
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

February noticed the festival was winding down. Everything had calmed down and everyone appeared distracted. Good! She'd spoken to her friends, and several seemed to share her goal but were detained by various issues in the muggle world and would respond later.

February noticed Lora Wallabenger standing alone near the butterbeer fountain. The timing was perfect!

"Serpentsortia!" she shouted. A cobra appeared, and she attached the snake to the butterbeer. February guided the serpent's body as butterbeer flowed through the snake. The liquid sprinkled on Lora's shoes. "Vipera evanesca!" The snake evaporated as quickly as it had appeared.

Nothing like paying back a harmless prank...

*smile*
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

She couldn’t help but smile as she watched February return the prank to Lora. It was all in good fun, of course. Emily smirked and briefly considered adding a prank of her own, but decided that might be overkill. She would bide her time..for now.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Brianna Caedmon
No broom

Post by Brianna Caedmon »

Watching her friend February's actions from her position next to Emily, Brianna couldn't quite stifle a chuckle. That had been an utterly brilliant prank, and she looked forward to many more to come over the next year. Nothing quite like a friendly prank war!

Return to “Welcome Month”