Lesson 1 - Introduction

Class led by Prof. Will Lestrange

Moderator: Prof. Will Lestrange

Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Lesson 1 - Introduction

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

This is the post where you can introduce yourself! As per Assignment One, this introduction should include:

-Your HOL name and House
-At least one of the following: What motivated you to take this class? What are you most looking forward to about learning this term? What piques your interest about Parseltongue?
-Anything else you feel we should know about you

(This introduction should be primarily in English!)
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Re: Lesson 1 - Introduction

Post by February Fortescue »

Hello! I'm February Fortescue (or, as I have attempted to write my name in Parseltongue in Assignment One, Febi'uvairi Forteski'u!) I'm a second year Slytherin.

I love languages in general and tearing into them. Although my degree is in Social Work, I also studied French and Russian. Russian doesn't have many English cognates, and one of the very few things I remember how to say is, "I speak the Russian language very well!" which is silly, because I definitely don't. I grew up listening to Mary O'Hara, who often sings in Irish Gaelic, and enjoy singers such as Cecil Corbel (she's French, but sings in a variety of languages, including the Japanese "Arrietty's Song") and and Franco Corelli.

My Patronus is an Occamy and I'm a Slytherin, so I tend to be drawn to snakes in general. I am looking forward to learning how to speak to snakes and get to know them better!
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

-Your HOL name and House * Tarma Black of Hufflepuff -- (Professor Tarma Amelia Black)
-At least one of the following: What motivated you to take this class? What are you most looking forward to about learning this term? What piques your interest about Parseltongue? * I like snakes. I like animals. I like being able to communicate with animals. If this course helps me to do that, yay! But, the thing is, learning any language is like learning about the people of that language. The way the sentences are constructed, the thought/idea patterns are presented -- everything says a lot about the peoples of the language. So in addition to learning the speech of Parseltongue, I'll be learning about the 'culture' of that language.
-Anything else you feel we should know about you. * My name is Tarna Kura in Parseltongue. ^_^
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

Hi there, I'm Emily Spencer ( Enisli Spensur in Parseltongue), a first year Slytherin and newly minted Promising Student. I promise not to try to strangle Will for making me think so hard, although I may charge him a zillion galleons for all the aspirin I'm taking. Languages are not my forte', folks; the struggle is real.

So, why did I take this class then? I'm asking myself the same question right now *laughs* Seriously though, I like challenges, and I like Will's teaching method, so here I am, aspirin and all. Besides, as a Slytherin, it just seemed like the right thing to do. If a Gryffindor like Harry Potter can speak Parseltongue, then surely, I, a pureblood Slytherin, should have an equally easy time learning the language. Granted, Mr. Potter is a natural and I'm obviously not, but persistence is my middle name! Besides, I love learning new things; knowledge is power, after all. Yes, my inner Ravenclaw is showing.

I'm hoping, obviously, to learn Parseltongue (or at least enough of the basics not to erroneously insult a snake should I try to converse with it.) I'm also hoping to gain a new appreciation for languages, and maybe (though highly doubtful) that I have an affinity for languages after all. And as Tarma pointed out, learning the language of a people gives you a better insight into the people themselves, and as a major Criminal Minds fan, the psychology and make-up of people is right up my alley.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Amy Darvill
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Darvill »

Hi, I'm Amy Darvill (or Eni Darvusl), a first year Hufflepuff and struggling linguistics student as this class is showing me, lol. Seriously though, I jumped in headfirst because I saw Will was teaching this class and had so enjoyed his Unforgivables lesson that I signed on without even looking. So this class is a bit more challenging than I expected, but I will give it my best effort.

As an ooc response, I will also add that I really enjoy and respect when people add on to canon and offer creative expansion. This class might not fit into my particular wheelhouse of skills, but it does feed my imagination and give me a deeper appreciation of the subject matter. And frankly, I could probably use the refresher course on Phonics. I'm sure my niece would be happy to help me sound out words and figure out how they sound lol.

All I would ask is that I'm not required to pet the snakes. I think they're pretty, but the feeling of the scales does give me the heebie jeebies. Or hebi ʃebi in parseltongue!....I've just insulted them haven't I?
Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

Hi. My name is Alexander Brighton, but you can call me Alex. I'm a Ravenclaw Prefect! I have heard about a class on Parseltongue being taught on HOL years ago. I always thought it would be really cool if it was brought back during my years at HOL. So when I saw this class on the class sign up list, I got very, very excited and signed up for it right away. I wondered how Parseltongue works and if it can be learned. It's really very interesting and I can't wait to keep learning more about it. I'm looking forward to learning everything I can about this language. It's really cool to think, people say that they are fluent in English or French or Spanish or another language. One day I want to say that I am fluent in Parseltongue :D.
Eve Roarke
No broom

Post by Eve Roarke »

My name is Eve Roarke and I am a Hufflepuff! This class was recommended to me by another classmate. I am looking forward to learning more about snakes, their language and some insight into their behavior as well. I did take a class in college at one point in linguistics though I really don't remember any of it, but maybe Parseltongue will help refresh my memory. I know several classmates at least a little and I am looking forward to getting to know more.
Mia Granger
No broom

Post by Mia Granger »

Hello! I’m Mia Granger, (or I think in Parseltongue, it is Ni’a Grenʃir.) I am a first year Ravenclaw.
Languages in my opinion are very useful, even though they are challenging. At this current time, I am learning French, German and Spanish, (I am a quite good French speaker.) Whenever I have had an opportunity to learn a new language, I always took it even though I knew it would be hard and I would make many mistakes. This is why when I saw this class, I signed up immediately, knowing it would be difficult.
My patronus is a lynx and my wand is Yew Wood. I am very excited to learn the language of snakes!
Tessa Pavlov
No broom

Post by Tessa Pavlov »

My HOL name is Tessa Pavlov and I'm in the Slytherin.l always admire snakes, though they scare me a little. I'm here to learn more about them and get closer to them. I wish to perfect this language so I can speak fluently. :D
Olivia Finn
No broom

Post by Olivia Finn »

My name is Olivia Finn and I am in Slytherin. What motivated me the most to take this class was my want to learn new things and different things outside of my comfort zone. I have not heard of anyone in my family that speaks Parseltongue and I want to be the first to impress them.
Astor Arensin
No broom

Post by Astor Arensin »

Hi! I'm Astor Arensin (which, funnily enough, is Aster Arensin in Parseltongue. Practically the same!) I'm a second year Ravenclaw.
I signed up for this class as I'm always interested in learning new languages and I love the challenge that comes with it. I love being able to communicate in ways or with people that I normally would not have been able to.
Anyway, I actually have 5 snakes of my own! Rosie, Racer, Lysandra, Bee, and Goku. (Or Rosi, Rasr, Slysandra, Be, and Σokuu in Parseltongue). I also help my mom breed snakes in order to sell them to potential adopters :)
Cassiopeia Black
No broom

Post by Cassiopeia Black »

Hi, I'm Cassiopeia Black and I am a first year Slytherin! :D
I decided to take this class because I enjoy learning languages, think snakes are cool and recently read a book where one of the characters were taught Parseltongue by a natural Parselmouth and found it interesting (the snakes really like to gossip too which was entertaining). I also wondered what it would have felt like to be harry in CoS and think that the snake in PS deserve more recognition for helping get Dudley in the enclosure because that was amazing! :P B)
Augusta Daedalus
No broom

Post by Augusta Daedalus »

My name is Augusta Daedalus and I'm a first year Slytherin. I decided to take this class because I have always been told I am very good at languages and find languages very interesting. Parseltongue was also one of the most intriguing parts of the Harry Potter Books to me. The only other thing to know about me is that I use she/her pronouns.
Alondra Gonzalez
No broom

Post by Alondra Gonzalez »

Hello, My name is Alondra Gonzalez and I'm a first year Slytherin! I think the thing that motivated me most was how hard it seems. I've only done the first assignment and it's difficult in my opinion. I hope I can start to understand it better as I go on. I think the language sounds very cool as well. It's very elegant and euphonic in a way.
Lucia Dinapoli
No broom

Post by Lucia Dinapoli »

Hi there~
My name is Lucia Dinapoli (or Slusi'a Dinaposli in Parseltongue if I've translated correctly!) I'm a second year Slytherin.

As a Slytherin and a lover of animals (it is my dream to one day be a Magizoologist!) I feel I am naturally drawn to Snakes, and being able to communicate with these beautiful creatures would give me an advantage in my chosen field of creatures as well as make for great conversation with Basl in the dorms! I am a love of languages (specifically italian and spanish which I am intermediate in) although I can find it hard I think it would be a nice challenge for me this term.

My Patronus is a Lynx, I am an artist and writer and I am very much so looking forward to learning how to speak to snakes this term ~
Carrie Warts
No broom

Post by Carrie Warts »

Hi everyone! My name is Carrie Warts (in Parseltongue would be Keri Varts) and I'm a second-year Gryffindor.

I was drawn to this class because I love learning new languages - I already speak English, Spanish, and Sign Language from my country - and the more challenging the better. I'm looking forward to being able to remove the stigma that a Parseltongue speaker is connected to a dark side of the magic.

I love animals and nature-related things - like herbology, insects, creatures, etc - and also enjoy meditating, reading, and listening to music.
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3
Brianna Caedmon
No broom

Post by Brianna Caedmon »

Hi everyone! I'm Brianna Caedmon, a second year Slytherin. I took this class because I rather like languages and felt that it would be appropriate since I'm a Slytherin (and maybe this way I can have a chat with Basl!). I'm particularly looking forward to learning some Parseltongue vocabulary ithis term.

Other than that: I speak English, French and Portuguese fluenty and some Spanish, Italian, Galician and Catalan. I'm also currently learning Irish and Chinese. My Patronus is an occamy and I have two cats, Cleo and Orion!
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

Hello, hello! I'm Prof. Sindor Aloyarc (last name "Usloe’ork" in Parseltongue) of Ravenclaw. I love singing, dancing, and spending time with friends and family, particularly outside and/or over delicious food.

Within various zodiac traditions, I've always been associated with representations such as Year of the Dragon, Scorpio, and in the Native American tradition would be considered a 'Snake.' I believe the house of Slytherin has played a large roll in my family history. The idea of exploring Parseltongue as a language speaks to me in many ways.

I'm looking forward to enjoying the expansion of my viewpoint when it comes to this mysterious and often misunderstood language, enhancing my appreciation for those who connect so naturally to these stunning creatures, both in action and in tongue!
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Mia Fountain
Silver Arrow

Post by Mia Fountain »

Hello, I am Mia Fountain from Ravenclaw. I decided to take this class to try to understand the language of the snakes better. I look forward to learning the common words used in Parseltongue, so I can at least piece together a sentence if needed.

While I am interested in learning Parseltongue, I do not have much experience with other languages other than English.
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Post by Gail Allen »

Hello, I am Gail Allen of Ravenclaw House and I am late to the party. But I brought cookies and hot chocolate so I hope I shall be forgiven :)

I was motivated to take this class because languages have always interested me so I was intrigued by the idea of learning another one here.
I am mostly looking forward to learning vocabulary I have to say; I have really bad ears so I find transcribing really difficult, so this first lesson was hard for me. Hopefully the following lessons will be easier on my poor challenged ears :P

Anything else about me... hm... I love salty licorice and salmiak licorice. Also in ice cream, in chocolate, on honeydew melon, on dates, on cinnamon cookies, practically everywhere you can imagine.

Return to “Parseltongue: A Challenging Introduction”