Lesson 3 - Discover Some More Words

Class led by Prof. Will Lestrange

Moderator: Prof. Will Lestrange

Aurelia West
Cleansweep One

Re: Lesson 3 - Discover Some More Words

Post by Aurelia West »

As I was finishing up some homework, I had checked out a few books from the library to gather more information on various things. Slesne was helping me with some work, but for a while I was stuck on one page, desperately trying to understand what it was telling me. She gave me a long look and said 'Ou ard∫e derne.' Since many verbs end in -∫e I knew she was telling me I did something slowly, and all I was doing was reading through my book. Therefore, I can safely say that ard∫e is to read. I think it makes sense since book is sometimes translated as 'pard' and bookshelf as 'pard∫esl.'
Ivonne Zwei
No broom

Post by Ivonne Zwei »

I decided to try and bring my Cottonmouth friend a snack, but could not find any small rodents or amphibians, so I decided maybe I'd share my favorite snack with him. I presented him with an Oreo, opened it up so he could taste the creme. He poked his tongue out to test it and recoiled slightly, saying that snakes could not eat "feʃi", their bodies could not digest it. I took feʃi to mean "sugar" rather than cookie, since his statement was pretty general. I promised to find him a living snack next time I came to visit.
Ivonne Zwei
No broom

Post by Ivonne Zwei »

While I was visiting my Cottonmouth friend (who still prefers not to take a name from a human), I tried to ask him what his favorite things to do were. He said he enjoys lying in "ansuna" that is warm from the sun. He showed me his preferred spot and I saw that "ansuna" is mud. Thinking about it, Parseltongue for dirt is andi, and water is asuna, so ansuna being mud should be easy to remember since it's just a mix of the two words.
The Cottonmouth is a semi-aquatic snake so it makes sense he would enjoy basking in warm mud.
Caius Magnusson
No broom

Post by Caius Magnusson »

Today I came by accident into a Parseltongue verb that is usually described through the use of a noun in English - that is to say, the verbal phrase 'to have fun'.

I am a huge enthusiast of roller coasters, and was entertaining the idea of bringing I'oʃin with me so he could try it out and see whether that's his cup of tea or not. Nevertheless, no matter how much I told him that he could just wrap himself tightly around my arm and enjoy the ride, he responded with a curt "fasi tanʃe matane ʃe". Given the fact that the only word that could be a verb in that sentence is tanʃe, I assumed that this meant 'to have fun' or 'to enjoy', as that is the only word that seems to match his refusal and the presence of ʃe. Jury is still out on matane, but I assume that he meant 'absolutely' or any other type of adverb that indicates strong refusal, as it seems to connect the verb with the negative word ʃe.
Zurawlina Keller
No broom

Post by Zurawlina Keller »

So one day I was eating a borscht. This is traditional ukrainian soup. And my friend snake Otruta came to see me while I was having my meal. When she saw what I was eating she called that “agiro ara”, which is logical since this soup has red colour, but I couldn’t stand that! I started telling her that it isn’t just a red water! It’s the most delicious soup in the whole world! I even tried to convince her to take a sip, but she declined. At the end we decided that she will call a borscht “agiro ononona ara” where “ononona” I think means “delicious”, because it sounds like “omnomnom”.
Scarlet Robloutain
No broom

Post by Scarlet Robloutain »

So the other day I was walking with Seraʃtes when we had to go up this very steep hill. I started complaining about it in english, more so to myself than to her. She asked what I was muttering about and I told her that I didn't like this hill. Since I didn't exactly know the word for it, I explained it the best I could with pointing. Seraʃtes looked up at me and said "hisl". When I tell you I've never felt any dumber in my life I mean it...
pedes in terra ad sidera visus
Katelin Ross
Oakshaft 79

Post by Katelin Ross »

Following my previous theme of showing my snake a picture of a badger, I decided to show another animal picture to my snake. This time, I decided to honor one of my friends favorite animals, a rabbit

He said this is a rabit

Thank you to my Secret Santa 2018 for the wonderful signature and avatar!!
Katelin Ross
Oakshaft 79

Post by Katelin Ross »

I took my snake outside for a while today, and we saw a hawk.

I asked my snake what the word in parseltongue is and they said, "Havk"

Thank you to my Secret Santa 2018 for the wonderful signature and avatar!!

Return to “Parseltongue: A Challenging Introduction”