Module #2 - “MONOLOGUES“ - Spring 2021

Class led by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Moderator: Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Module #2 - “MONOLOGUES“ - Spring 2021

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

Welcome to the Module 02 "Monologues" thread! Consider what you've written down from your brainstorm in the Meditation portion of our exercises. What jumps out at you that's wanting to be explored a little more deeply? Come up with a topic based around these meditations and write an essay about your personal perspective on the matter ("Scroll-and-a-Half" / 150 words). This could be a single aspect or multiple elements from your list. In addition to sending in via e-mail, if you feel like sharing with your peers go ahead and post here with or without including your "Meditation" and/or "Mindfulness" responses added in together. This is voluntary and will not effect your points one way or another, however it will add to our community vibe and could stir up conversation for any "Mingling" points you may wish to accrue as Extra Credit.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Carrie Warts
No broom

Re: Module #2 - “MONOLOGUES“ - Spring 2021

Post by Carrie Warts »

During my meditation the word hope appeared big in my head, along with all the times I lost hope due to different things I've been through in my life - they were many because growing up I wanted to do as many things as I could, and I still do that till this day. Then different scenarios of lost hope started to play in my head but some of them were things that never happened to me so I don't know what happened there but it left me thinking a lot.
I sometimes believe we carry some fears and deceptions from past lives that somehow we can't let go of. Sometimes we don't understand why we like or dislike certain things and because we can't give an explanation to them we tend to close ourselves and lose hope that we will ever find an answer. So I want to give this a more thorough investigation for my next meditation.
On the other hand, the fact that all the times I lost hope or was about to lose it appeared in my mind helped me realize that those things are now behind me, that I've changed, and I've learned from the past. Losing hope on stuff that you do or in others is very different from losing hope in yourself. I know that now.
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Re: Module #2 - “MONOLOGUES“ - Spring 2021

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

Meditation:
I looked at the meditation prompt for the lesson and noticed it sounded very familiar:  comparing it to last month's prompt I realized the prompts were identical.  But what could have changed?  The obvious answer was *me*!  And one more thing:  last month I felt so much cold while meditating, but this time I had acquired a Muggle heating box to use while meditating.  I stepped into the box, turned on the heat, sat down, and closed my eyes to relax.
-I started out by noticing a little pain in my stomach like last month and that my legs were cold, but not as cold as last month.
-A very soothing warmth gradually drifted over my upper body, making me feel comfort and relaxation.
-Just like last month, meditation made my worst physical feelings feel stronger, but... this month felt more comfortable than last month.
-Maybe the increase in comfort is a reflection of hope:  if I'm feeling better overall, maybe the pain will go away too at some point?

Monologue:
This is the second time I tried this type of five-minute meditation for this course, so it's natural to compare and contrast my meditative reflections from last month to this month.  Last month I pointed out that my attempts to meditate usually end up making it so that the parts of me that feel the most uncomfortable come up as front and center.  While these feelings still lingered from last month to this month, the Muggle box allowed more comfortable feelings to pervade my consciousness, which means that I ended up feeling more relaxed as well.  Unlike last month, this even allowed the month's power (hope) to show up in my meditative thoughts!  In fact, hope - to me - is the thought that things can get better in the future.  And in terms of comfort while meditating, the fact that this month's meditation was much less painful than last months gives me hope that future meditation will be much more calming than painful!  It might even give me hope that better understanding my body might somehow give me more control over my body's movements and feelings (despite the fact that I did not feel like I gained more of this type of control in the past month)...

Mindfulness:
In my life, I have the same problem with hope that I pointed out with faith last month:  difficulty in visualising what lies ahead makes it hard for me to imagine things improving in the foreseeable future.  Nevertheless, though, I can imagine things improving three or six months from now (even though, to be fair, I can imagine things getting worse over those months, dependent on a number of things)... and this means that hope can fit pretty well into my life at the moment!  

(NOTE:  I wrote the "Mindfulness" section yesterday; around 7 PM HOL time today, I received a piece of news that let me know that my hope was not misplaced...)

Return to “Muggle Studies: Hidden Powers”