Modules #4/#8 - "MEMORIES & MANIFESTATIONS" - Fall 2021

Class led by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Moderator: Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Modules #4/#8 - "MEMORIES & MANIFESTATIONS" - Fall 2021

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

Welcome to the Module 04 and Module 08 "Media & Manifestations" thread!

("Scroll-and-a-Half" / 150 words)

Module 04: (Manifestations - MS:HP I)
Write some kind of a Short Story or Poem that revolves around this month's Power. Let those creative juices flow!

Module 08: (Memories - MS:HP II)
Write about any memory (whether real and/or from the perspective of your HOL persona) which revolves around this month’s Power.

In addition to submitting via e-mail, you’re encouraged to post these publicly here. While this will not effect your points, it will encourage interactions by providing additional options for people to connect on, particularly for those who take part in the “Mixing & Mingling” portion of this month’s exercises if they enjoy or relate to your work and choose to talk about something you’ve shared.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Re: Modules #4/#8 - "MEMORIES & MANIFESTATIONS" - Fall 2021

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

I signed up for this school nearly a decade ago, back in the summer of 2013. I was able to settle in pretty quickly: I got myself oriented in the dungeons, made it through my house's Quidditch tryouts, and signed up for my first set of classes. But then, as September got underway, I was alerted to a new contest called "Rowena Ravenclaw's Tests of Logic".

I navigated over to the page and saw a link to the first Tests of Logic, back from 2001. As I looked at the page of the original version of the contest, I realized that I had been here - on the grounds of HOL - six years earlier! And the Power of Familiarity called me back to an earlier memory:

It was a late July evening in 2007. After a decade of resisting, I had finally bitten the bullet and started reading the Harry Potter series when the final midnight release showed me how it could bring a small, boring town back to life. I started with the first book and read until I reached the logic puzzle set by Severus Snape. I stopped reading, tried to work it out, reread it, continued reading, until five minutes later I had convinced myself that the book did not give enough information to solve the puzzle. So I continued on to see Quirrell get defeated and Harry enjoying his first end-of-year feast... and then I looked for more detail on the logic puzzle via the Muggle internet.

I found the very page I was looking at now, with diagrams explaining all the possibilities and the final conclusion: "So in the end, we're left with eight possible arrangements of the seven potions. In all of the arrangements, the move forward potion is in position 3, 4, or 5. So even without knowing the sizes of the bottles and using clue three, logic has allowed us to narrow down the possibilities a great deal."

Satisfied that my logic hadn't failed me, I went to sleep, and devoured the rest of the series over the course of the next week.

And just like that, I realized that I had actually visited the outskirts of HOL's grounds back in the summer of 2007! (As it turned out, I had also somehow managed to stop by in the early spring of 2003, but that's neither here nor there.) The Power of Familiarity made me realize that I was in absolutely the right place, and that the 2013 edition of the Tests of Logic were going to be something to look forward to.

Sure enough, I took part in all twelve puzzles and managed to get my first two HOL awards out of the Tests of Logic that fall... and the familiarity of my memories from 2007 helped guide me through the beginning of my HOL career!
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Re: Modules #4/#8 - "MEMORIES & MANIFESTATIONS" - Fall 2021

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

A few years ago I was shopping and joined the queue for the till. As I did so the person Infront of me, a stranger, looked around. Immediately it was obvious that they were transgender. I was polite and gave a warm smile as you do when you are out and about and we got chatting for a bit. I'm so glad It happened for I will never forget how that person's face lit up and gave the impression that they were so happy to be spoken to, treated indifferently and without judgement. It made me think that that person must have had a tough time in the past if something as simple as a smile could have such an effect on them. A smile may not seem like much and yet it really can make a difference to someone. It can raise them up or just brighten their day or help chase some of the blues away.

Return to “Muggle Studies: Hidden Powers”