Modules #3/#7 - “MINGLING” - Spring 2022

Class led by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Moderator: Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Modules #3/#7 - “MINGLING” - Spring 2022

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

Welcome to the Module 03 and Module 07 "Mingling" thread! This is about getting to interact with one another as classmates, particularly about themes from the lessons and your corresponding class work if that speaks to you. Those who post their Monologues or Manifestations may provide helpful prompts for discussion points. While you're welcome to mix and mingle as much as you like, each of your first three 50+ word posts you will receive 5 points. When submitting your work, please let me know if you've posted once, twice, or three (or more) times so I can confirm participation. As a fun option, you may choose to Role-Play these interactions though are not required to. If you do, please take a look at this RPGuidelines page for some helpful tips.

It’s a beautiful April day outside. Sindor and Emily have decided to bring the class outside for a walk around the castle while the group shares tidbits from this month’s set of topics.

As members arrive, Emily is carrying a satchel of some supplies that might be needed, including such things as extra scarves and hats for those whom the sunny day is still a bit chilly, a pouch full of sunglasses to protect people’s eyes, and so on.

Making a long loop around the quidditch pitch, Professor Aloyarc remind everyone that “This month’s powers revolve around Courage for some and Understanding for others. The courage to make choices that allow us to stand in our own personal power, and the understanding built on the experiential wisdom found in life lessons picked up along the way.”

The wind dies down a little as everyone continues to round the pitch.

“As I like to remember once in a while, the powers taught in these classes can come to seem somewhat repetitive. They are different, but they are also the same. Almost interchangeable, yet with subtle nuances that build off of one another. The repetition of reflection on these similarities and differences can help us to work with the subtleties of the energies out on the world.

Sin picks a thin stick up off the ground and begins twirling it between his fingers while he speaks.

“Some ideas for you to share with the group today —and, as always, you are not required to touch on everything listed, but use them as a guideline of inspiration or comment on what others are saying:

For those in Part I might be what you find to be your personal strengths and/or struggles, whether in the past or at present. What are you proud of having accomplished or contributed your hard work and efforts toward, or what would you like to do differently in the future? Do you have any strong intentions or goals for the road ahead? What does Courageousness look like to you and how has it shown up on your life?

For those in Part II, has there ever been a time where, upon revisiting something or someone, you’ve come to understand it differently? Perhaps you’ve felt you had a good grasp on a situation after receiving all the information, then over time (which may be a short period or many repetitions coming back to the person, place, or thing whatever that may be) something changed in the big picture of your understanding? This could even be returning to a favorite book or movie. What does it mean to ‘be’ Understanding from your perspective?”
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Re: Modules #3/#7 - “MINGLING” - Spring 2022

Post by Emily Spencer »

Emily is busily handing out supplies but stops to turn and listen as Sindor begins to speak. As she listens to his words, a soft smile creeps across her face. She shifts her attention inward as his words wash over her and her eyes take on a far-away look. Despite appearances, she is not ignoring the Professor at all, but rather doing a bit of self-reflection. After a few minutes, she begins to speak softly in answer to the questions asked:

"Well, I would not necessarily consider myself over courageous, though there are ample enough times in my life that I have been called to be just that. Personal strengths? Well, I do tend to be the level-headed one in times of crisis, and I have the ability to set personal feelings/qualms aside and get the job done. To put it simply, I compartmentalize quite well.

I do have my share of struggles, Merlin knows I do! That being said, I am rather proud of some of the accomplishments I have made in the past, both here on HOL and in my mundane life. Most notably, here on HOL, I received the quite unexpected honor of being made a Head Student. Given my somewhat limited time on HOL, I am proud of how much I am able to participate in things and it was quite rewarding to see my hard work pay off in such a manner. In my personal life away from HOL, I undertook the task of taking care of my aging grandmother, which given her temperament and my own, it is no easy task!

Would I do things differently? Yes, I would, most notably with my grandmother. Don't misunderstand me; I love her dearly. But had I known how circumstances would play out, I may have taken a much different path when it came to her care.

Goals and intentions? Well, HOL-wise, I have the goal of getting off my lazy backside and creating classes for next term. Right now, I am teaching classes that were handed down to me, and while fun, I would like to create my own from scratch. I would also like to win Top Points Earner at least once before I leave HOL!

While I do not consider myself particularly courageous here on HOL (I am in Slytherin, not Gryffindor for a reason, you know!) I will say that taking on the role of Head Student took a bit of digging deep and finding that little ball of courage inside of me. Scary stuff, that! During my time away from HOL, my job can take me into not-so-safe situations, and I have never backed down from a situation I have faced. So yeah, I guess I do have a smidgen of courage after all!

She apologizes with a wry smile for getting so long-winded and leans back against a tree to let others chime in as they will.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

Hello everyone! - screams Louis as he enters the class at the last minute.

- Wow there’s not much people here! I really hope someone will engage so that I can get my 15 points for this month!

Louis sits down and after hearing this month’s question he wonders what to say. -Well let me start with the fact I had a really busy month. I am actually still busy so yeah. I am trying to finish it all up!
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Tarma wanders into the classroom. She is in time to hear the last bit of what Louis was saying, and grinned.

"Sorry, all. I went into the wrong room and was so distracted by a list that I was trying to get made that I didn't even notice that it was empty. Louis, I'm here! Talk with me!"

She glances at Emily and then at Sindor. "Hi you two. I do apologize. I know that this particular class is for Courage and for Understanding. I don't know much about courage, really. I think, sometimes, it is doing something that needs to be done, no matter what price you have to pay. Not a price of dollars and cents and maybe not even a price in effort of muscles. But a price in ..." She stops talking, and looks for words, for a moment. "A price in, maybe this sounds odd, but in losing a part of what you think of as yourself. Chipping off an encrusted bit of 'identity' and ..." She grinned suddenly.

"Then it goes to Understanding that if you can chip it away, that it never was truly a part of you. Because what you are is inherent and the 'what' of which you are made is true. But it can be so very scary to realize that your ideas of who and what you are are not necessarily accurate but just conditioned things that were accepted from others who are trying to mold you, like Pygmalion molded Galatea. And there you go into Courage again."

Tarma blinks. "Did that make any sense?"
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

Hi Tarma darling - says Louis with a big warm smile. He is happy to see her again. - Let’s answer this month’s question! What is courage for me? Well…I think for me courage is a rather important aspect of life. I was always taught that there’s always a way out and a solution for everything! Never give up guys, just try to find another way!
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

“So inspiring, Louis!” Sin says cheerfully, “Love it! And yes, I completely agree with all of that, Tarma. Well put!” He is enjoying hearing the group’s discussion of these energies, and so pleased at Emily sharing what she’s been proud about and the goals she’s hoping to achieve ahead. “I’d love to see what classes you might come up with!”
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

"Thanks, Sindor" Tarma says to the teacher.

"Louis."

Tarma looks suspiciously at the Slytherin student. "What have you done now, that you call me 'darling'?" She grins and then say "Oh, don't tell me! I'll find out. Did you turn loose a python in the Sett? You know that Fels does not like snakes, right?"

She blushes and adds, "Not the Slytherin snakes of course. I mean the snakes that get into her cellar .... "

Totally red in the face, she sort of squeaks and plops into a chair. "Where's my courage now?"
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

Louis laughs joyfully ‘It’s a British thing. Nothing to worry about. To be honest I hate snakes too.” He sees Tarma is getting red and this makes him laugh even louder. “You can trust me dArLiNg” he says and tries to stop giggling.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

As Tarma attempts to sink into the chair and disappear, she glances at Sindor and then at Emily.

She makes a desperate attempt to stop the laughter she feels welling up. "Oh, Louis. I understand that you have the courage to say how you feel. .... dArLiNg ...."

With that, she succumbs to giggles, joining Louis in his laughter.
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

Emily glances between Louis and Tarma, trying desperately to keep her composure. After Tarma looks her way, however, the moment is truly lost and she erupts into peals of laughter. She struggles to regain her composure and after a while does manage to at least quit snorting tea from her nose. She makes a mental note to not drink anything when Tarma is present or she is liable to need a whole new wardrobe!

Coughing into her hand, she glances over at Sindor:

"So sorry, m'dear. Ah yes, classes...I have an idea or two that I'm entertaining at the moment. Remind me to tell you later, yes?"

She cannot resist another glance at Tarma and Louis and the smile widens on her face:

"I don't know what they will be yet, but I'm sure they will be MAH-VA-LUS!"
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Tarma, who had inexplicably vanished mid-giggle, suddenly, (over a month later in some calendar, but only seconds later in this RPG), and with a pop of air, reappears.

She is still giggling, albeit because of something entirely else.

"Oh, Louis and Emily and Sindor. I don't think I understand anything anymore!"

She breaks into full out laughter and laughs so much that she starts to cry, and giggles as she wipes her eyes.

"Isn't life strange and wonderful and quite inexplicable?"

Return to “Muggle Studies: Hidden Powers”