MONOLOGUES - Fall 2022

Class led by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Moderator: Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

MONOLOGUES - Fall 2022

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

Welcome to the Fall 2022 "Monologues" thread!

("Scroll-and-a-Half" / 150 words)

For each module this term, consider what you've written down from your brainstorm in the Meditation portion of our exercises. What jumps out at you that's wanting to be explored a little more deeply? Come up with a topic based around these meditations and write an essay about your personal perspective on the matter. This could be a single aspect or multiple elements from your list. In addition to sending in via e-mail, if you feel like sharing with your peers go ahead and post here with or without including your "Meditation" and/or "Mindfulness" responses added in together. This is voluntary and will not effect your points one way or another, however it will add to our community vibe and could stir up conversations or contribute toward any "Mining" points others may wish to accrue over time.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Re: MONOLOGUES - Fall 2022

Post by February Fortescue »

One of the most surprising discoveries I've discovered is that, while very few things in life are permanent, there are some things which are. Almost everything changes: our bodies age, friends come and go, we get hungry, eat, and hunger departs. Emotions are similar. Anxiety ebbs and flows, anger boils to the surface but usually simmers down, love can go from intense to pleasant within a brief time period. 

Inspire of this, there is a place inside each of us where true Peace is permanent and unchanging. It is available to everyone. I can stop what I am doing, sit down, and focus on RIGHT NOW. Right now, what emotions am I feeling? Accept them without judgment, and let them go. How is my body behaving? Accept it, once again without judging it, and let it go.  If any thoughts of mine come up, refocus on the Right Now. By doing this, I have discovered within myself a permanent place of peace, acceptance, and love. 

The last several months have been particularly challenging for me. My family and I recently came through a Cancer scare, only for the following week to have my mother’s pacemaker batter stop working. While at the hospital, she was diagnosed with Covid. The woman is 78 years old! We got to bring her home today. Her oxygen level is normal, and I’m very grateful for that.

I want to learn to reconnect with this state of inner peace whenever I experience outer stress and turmoil. That’s one of my items to work on.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

I'm glad that your mom is doing alright, February. I hope that other things in your life are also on the upswing, and I wish you the best in your journey for inner peace.

Very similarly, I have found myself drowning in issues that seem huge and overwhelming, particularly at work. The state of the world has new students from other countries continually enrolling in my school, and we are running out of class space in our newcomer classes for them. I had a team of consistent coworkers for six years and we were great at problem-solving together, then they left. I'm left to be the 'expert' in the building in working with this population and feel like I have to solve things by myself. But those things are bigger than me, and I have to allocate them to the appropriate people to create the systemic change. I can only control what's within my power.

In my meditation, I thought a lot about centering myself and embracing the time to rest. To heal. To do nothing and take a moment away from the stress and worry. I've become ill for the first time in a long time. If I take more time to rest, find my center, and relieve myself of unnecessary burden, I think I can remain healthy and be more present with the people around me.
Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

This time around, what jumped out at me was the idea of a routine to collect myself when I feel things falling apart and I’m starting to lose hope. I felt like I was floating a lot last semester and that I had very little control of anything happening around me. I definitely had moments where people asked what was going on with me and I couldn’t find a response that made sense. I think this was mostly related to work. I work in a secondary school, and so many of my students were struggling so much with grades, attendance, and behavior. I know that I’m only one person and have other people around to help me, but it seems to always come back to the person in my role when the ‘how are you fixing this’ question comes up. Those four deep breaths could be life-changing for me this semester if and when I feel myself floating and need to center myself. I’m not good at extended periods of quiet, but I can handle that minute of replenishment.

Return to “Muggle Studies: Hidden Powers”