Should you create a class?

Discussion About Classes and Projects at HOL
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

Should you create a class?

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot »

What would HOL be without the classes? It takes a lot of people taking their time to create and run a class to keep the site new and fresh. Have you ever thought about creating a class, but had questions and didn't know who or where to ask them? Have you created a class and would love to share what has or hasn't worked for you?

If you have questions about creating a class, feel free to post it here. If you have the experience of running a class feel free to answer questions in a positive and constructive manner. We are a community here to help one another, so lets help people flourish and create new classes. :D

If you are nervous about posting your question, you are welcome to message me (Prof. Rorey Padfoot) and I will post it anonymously for you! :)
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~Ravenclaw~
Lucia Dinapoli
No broom

Re: Should you create a class?

Post by Lucia Dinapoli »

Hi! I have been really interested in running a new class recently - specifically to do with the relation between the wizarding world and its elements and muggle mythology! I think it would be a very interesting class, and with lots of information I would have enough content to make enough for a full year class. I have started drafting my ideas, have started with a basic website design, played around with class emails all just to see if its a viable idea and it all looks really exciting...like it might actually go somewhere.

However, I was wondering how first timers go about starting to do something like this? Who do you talk to to get started, how to get people interested, how much content is needed for lessons? That sort of thing. Any help would be very appreciated!
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

Mythology seems like a good subject choice! Here's one example of a class which has been taught on HOL in the past:
Greek Mythology 101

Here's an example of a year long class, which I updated and brought back:
The Real Tudors

The lengths of the lessons should give you a good idea.

I'll message you. :D

***edited***

Maybe others are interested, or have more to add, so i'll post what I said, in general, in my message to Lucia:

Sounds like you've already made a start, which is great! Generally, the deadline for submitting classes for the Fall term will be approximately 20 August, just so you know.

You've:
1) found a subject which appears interesting and you seem to have enough information for a class
2) You've begun writing the class
3) you need a class email address
4) sounds like you've chosen a site to host the class: Google Sites, Weebly, etc.
5) you may have the name for the class

Questions to consider for a 1 year class:
1) do you want 10 lessons?
2) 4 lessons, 1 class project and 1 final, and then 4 more lessons, a 2nd class project, and a 2nd final?
3) would your class be better broken into two different classes? Students are required to take the first class before they take the second class?
4) or would the class work better as 2 separate classes?
Your answer to this will affect how you write your lessons.

That's how, in this case, i would begin.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

Bit late to answer, but I hope it still gives you (and any other hopefuls) some information.
However, I was wondering how first timers go about starting to do something like this?
Believe it or not, you already did the first part of any class making! You thought about the subject of your class, what it will roughly look like and the themes for the lessons. Also take a good note of February's questions to answer, as they are really important.
Who do you talk to to get started?
Well, no one really. If you need help setting up a class or with any particulars, you can contact students teachers from your house (or any really). Member of the Class Committee are also available to answer any of your questions. Otherwise, just start writing!
How to get people interested?
While there is no current option to advertise your class (there used to be a thread for that), people are always looking forward to new and fresh classes. From my experience, new classes on the list always get a lot of sign-ups so do not worry that there will be a lack of students for it. There is always word-of-mouth, especially intra-house so the word will get around sooner or later.
How much content is needed for lessons?
Depends on what material you are drawing from, how many pictures, if any, you will have in the lessons, what is the make-up of your assignments, and so on. I personally try to aim for 1000-1500 words. There is such a thing as "too much" text of the lessons as it can exhaust a student who then only CTRL+Fs relevant data in the lesson and not actually reads it through.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.

Return to “General Class Discussions”