New Year, New Classes!

Discussion About Classes and Projects at HOL
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

New Year, New Classes!

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot »

Eeekkk the class list is out and there are soooo many new classes!! Have you looked at it yet? Need helping narrowing it down to just FIVE! Already picked your classes and want to share? Let us know we all love when the new school year class list comes out!
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~Ravenclaw~
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Re: New Year, New Classes!

Post by Iverian Gnash »

This is year it was really difficult! There are so many I've been wanting to take and so many new classes that I wanted to take as well. The first three I signed up for were classes I've been wanting to take for a while:
  • Grindelwald's Crimes
  • Care of Magical Creatures
  • Quidditch - the Wizarding Way
Finally, I had two more classes to sign up for and I had no idea where to start. Maxim came out with a villainy class and I just couldn't pass up the chance to improve my skills, so the Evil Queen is now taking a class on villainy - any complaints please direct them to Mr. Trevelyan.

Then there was one more class to sign up for and I spent quite a while flipping through everything. Eventually I decided to be a bother to Gail this term and put myself in her Survival class! :D

Final list:
  • A Beginner's Guide to Villainy
  • Care of Magical Creatures
  • Grindelwald's Crimes
  • Quidditch - The Wizarding Way
  • Survival
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Adaleine Shuster

Post by Adaleine Shuster »

I've been wanting to take The Magic of Forensic Science pretty much since signing up in November of 2018. I finally decided to this year. I hear it's pretty hard...we'll see how I do.

I'd also been looking at Astrology and Harry Potter near the end of last term, so I was excited to see that it was being offered again.

I really like healing related classes, and I loved Basic Healing, so I decided to sign up for Poisons.

I managed to sign up for those three fairly quickly, but the last two were harder for me to choose. In the end I chose some harder ones, but I'm really excited!

My classes for the 2020-2021 fall term:
The Magic of Forensic Science
Astrology and Harry Potter
Poisons
HOL Genetics
Arithmancy: An Introduction
Mia Fountain
Silver Arrow

Post by Mia Fountain »

My classes this term:
Advanced Care of Magical Creatures
Poisons
Confronting your Boggart
Mysteries of the Lake
Introduction to Sign Language

I chose Advanced Care of Magical Creatures, because I took Care of Magical Creatures last term, so I wanted to take the Advanced course this time.
I chose introduction to sign language, because I have been interested in learning sign language for a while, and this seems like a good way to learn some of the nuances of sign language.
Poisons was chosen because I enjoyed the Potions for Beginners class that I took last year.
Confronting your Boggart and Mysteries of the Lake were chosen because they look interesting.
Sky Denver
No broom

Post by Sky Denver »

My classes this year are:
HOL 101 and Lesser known characters of Harry Potter.
I am super excited!
I took HOL 101 because I am new to HOL and I want to know everything about it! And I am taking The lesser known characters of Harry Potter because sometimes I do wonder what happens in their life.
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

This term I'm taking:

Art: A Magical Study
Astrology and Harry Potter
Grindelwald's Crimes
Philosophy In Harry Potter
Poisons

Believe me, that list was super hard to narrow done! There are so many fun classes to choose from.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

I really... really... REALLY wasn't expecting to take five classes during my first term as a professor - not when I was already teaching three! But there were enough new and old classes that looked interesting - even as two classes I regret passing up my first few years here (Broom Race and Beginning Hungarian) remain stubbornly unoffered.

What I ended up with were:
-Lesser Known Characters of Harry Potter (interesting material; taught by one of my House's newest Prefects)
-Journey of the Hero (an iconic class developed by my Head of House long ago... which I had resisted taking because of its difficulty)
-A Beginner's Guide to Villainy (a fun new class taught by one of the newest Head Students; when paired with Journey of the Hero it should provide intriguing balance)
to start...

and after a day or two I ended up adding two more:
-History of Hogwarts: the Founders (another fun-looking class from the "History of Hogwarts" series, taken over by the of my House's newest/returning Prefects) and...
-The Hobbit, from Tolkein to Jackson (taught by an HOL legend in her own right - though it's a class I had avoided for a long time because it looked a bit too challenging...)

so that's what my list looks like! I keep expecting there to be a time when I run out of classes to take, but it hasn't happened yet...
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

I've narrowed my list down to signing up for the following options:
Chose these because of my interest level and that I believe I will enjoy them all, in addition to the fact that I took Maxim's "Superhero Studies" in the Spring (which I loved) then happened to find one class presented by a Professor from each of the four houses otherwise, so I'm excited by the mix and looking forward to a great Fall semester of classes!
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Torii Taylor
No broom

Post by Torii Taylor »

This year I'm taking-

1) Astronomy
2) Flying
3) The World of Fiction

I know beforehand that I'm going to be very busy this year with HOL and life in general so I decided to take three classes instead of the regular five. I'll probably sign up for more if I have time at the end of the year but for now, just three for me. :D
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

This term, I taking;

* A Beginner's Guide to Villainy
(I enjoy Maxim's classes because they're interesting and challenging, and this one had me at the word "archetype")
* Divination
(I love the subject. I'm no psychic and don't pretend to be, but i would have had a blast in Trelawney's class)
* Lesser Known Characters of Harry Potter
(Great subject, very well written)
* Muggle Studies Pop Culture: the 80's
(What a fun decade! I do own both post-it notes and a Rubic's Cube, thank you very much!)
* The Unforgivable Curses
(Curses are useful and can be used in a positive way? Sign me up!)
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jessica Barnes
No broom

New Classes.

Post by Jessica Barnes »

Since today is the start of new classes for us. Have y'all picked your casses? If so what classes and why did you pick them?

I'll go first

A History Of Things: I had this class the first term and its a full year course.

Braille: The Basics: I know sign language and a little bit of Braille so I wanted to learn more.

Famous Witches and Wizards History: I wanna learn more about the witches and wizards who are famous in not just the muggle world but also the wizarding world. Plus Merlin!

Grindelwald's Crimes: Very interesting topic and wanna learn about who he truly was

Harry Potter Family Studies: For the soul purpose of understand the Potter family.
Hockey is life!
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

Wow!! We have 3 classes together!!

I'm also continuing on with A History of Things, and signed up for Braille: The Basics, and waiting for confirmation into Grindelwald's Crimes.

I also signed up for Survival and Art: A Magical Study.

Should be a great term!!
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

I’m excited to be taking the following two classes this term!

* “Braille: The Basics” with Prof. Sky Alton, and

* “Parseltongue: A Challenging Introduction” with Prof. Will Lestrange.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

This time, I've decided to dive into:

Accidental Magical Reversal Squad
I figure, with as many magical catastrophes as I've either caused or been part of, it's about time I learned how to correct them!

Wand Making
This class makes my list every term. I love symbolism and once made my own Rowan wand out of Rowan wood, mailed from a fellow Slytherin living in Utah.

Grindelwald's Crimes
The subject is interesting and I'd like to know more about him. I've taken Zoki's classes in the past and am currently teaching a class he wrote and never fail to enjoy his deep dive into subjects.

The World of Fiction
The subject looked really interesting, and I've never gotten to take a class Ivey's written.

Muggle Studies Pop Culture:the 80's
So much fun! Whether or not you remember this decade when it actually happened, it's a wonderful time to revisit. I've watched or rewatched some very good movies for this class: ET, The Karate Kid, and coming up, The Princess Bride. Who says homework isn't fun? :lol:
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

February Fortescue wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:17 pm
Muggle Studies Pop Culture:the 80's
So much fun! Whether or not you remember this decade when it actually happened, it's a wonderful time to revisit. I've watched or rewatched some very good movies for this class: ET, The Karate Kid, and coming up, The Princess Bride. Who says homework isn't fun? :lol:
Yay!! I have loved reading your homework!!
Flora Burke
No broom

Post by Flora Burke »

So after a long absence from HOL, I've decided to make a return and signed up for two classes.

Divination (because all the tea drinking out of pink cups would have turned that class into a fast favourite) and Societies in Ruin. I've always been partial to dystopian fiction, so I am looking forward to diving into this one. This year I am also focusing on re-reading some of my favourite books (and I imposed a ban on buying new books) so it will be a treat to revisit these series.

I might add a third class before the day is out, as I have no self control.

Return to “General Class Discussions”