Submit to the Latest Issue! (Deadline: 20 June)

Moderators: Prof. Maxim Trevelyan, Newspaper Editors, Prefects

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Submit to the Latest Issue! (Deadline: 20 June)

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Welcome to HOL's very own newspaper, The HOwLer!

The theme for our upcoming issue is: Whirlwind Adventure
Deadline for submissions: 11:59 PM HOL time on the 20th of June, 2023

So do you have an idea for an article, or maybe even a column? Perhaps you've got a concept for the perfect ad. Or maybe you are just itching to flex your creative muscles with a spot of writing or by creating a work of art. Well, you are in the right place!

Our theme is ‘Whirlwind Adventure', ’, so we’re hoping to hear about adventures of all kinds, big and small. So whether you want to profile a famous explorer, tell us about your travels or have some ideas for small adventures people can incorperate into their day for a bit of excitement, we're all ears. Remember that regular articles and submissions don’t need to fit the theme, though it’s great if they do!

Approval
All ideas for informative articles, Wizarding World News, opinion pieces, ads and puzzles must be approved before they are submitted.

If what you want to write needs to be approved, all you have to do is post your idea(s) below and wait for one of the Howler's editors to approve it. It will then be added to the list below. Please be patient though. We will get to you as quickly as possible, but it may sometimes take a while.

Idea Bank
If you don't have any ideas, we have curated an Idea Bank where you can go to find ideas for articles and ads. Please remember that even idea bank ideas have to be presented here for approval though (so we don't suddenly have ten articles on the same topic!).

Creative Showcase
For our creative showcase, we invite you to submit artwork or creative writing that fits the theme somehow. You don’t need to get these ideas approved - you can just start working on them.
For every issue, we give you a prompt to help spark your imagination. You don't need to use it, it's just there to help with inspiration. For this issue, that prompt is: "There's magic in the air and you find that something you do everyday has suddenly turned into an incredible adventure." (you can use this as the starting point for a story or the inspiration for an artwork)

Requirements and Submitting
For more information and guidelines on our various sections, what types of submissions you might submit and what the requirements for each one are, please read through the overview thread and then head over to the Guidelines section to learn more.
These guidelines have been updated for the 2022/2023 school year:
1. you may now submit up to 30 points worth of graphics, but only 2 of those can be puzzles.
2. The Creative Contest has been retired and replaced with a simple creative prompt (found above)

Once your idea has been approved, you can send your submission through this form.

We are very excited to hear from you all!

Approved Ideas
Informative Articles
Adventures people can have in Sri Lanka + Graphic (Janne Halla)
Adventures people can have on Vancouver Island + graphic (Evie Fig)
Holidays celebrated around the world in May and June + graphic (Janne Halla)
Biography of Meryl Streep (Skylar Peyton)
Personal/Opinion
Tell us about an adventure you've had (Skylar Peyton)
Tell us about an adventure you've always wanted to go on (Skylar Peyton)
Ads
Book Club Ad (Janne Halla)
Art Department Ad (Silvana Mandeville)
Puzzles
Maze (Janne Halla)
Fallen Letters (Silvana Mandeville)
Jigsaw (Skylar Peyton)
Hashi (Skylar Peyton)
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Janne Halla
Oakshaft 79

Re: Submit to the Latest Issue! (Deadline: 20 June)

Post by Janne Halla »

Hi!

I'd like to do these:

Pick a country and create a list of adventures people can have there (Sri Lanka) + graphic
Other holidays in May and June celebrated around the world + graphic
Book Club ad
Maze
Evie Figg
Oakshaft 79

Post by Evie Figg »

Hello! May I choose this one?

"Pick a country and create a list of adventures people can have there" + 1 Graphic (I would like to have 3, however considering space, I can work with just 1! Whatever works for you guys!)

However, instead of a country, I would like to present Vancouver Island, Canada. The island is FULL of little hidden gems only locals have had the pleasure of enjoying, so I'd love to show examples of the little hikes and activities this island has to offer!
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Janne Halla wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:43 pm Hi!

I'd like to do these:

Pick a country and create a list of adventures people can have there (Sri Lanka) + graphic
Other holidays in May and June celebrated around the world + graphic
Book Club ad
Maze
Hi Janne - yep, go ahead! :)
Evie Figg wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:33 pm Hello! May I choose this one?

"Pick a country and create a list of adventures people can have there" + 1 Graphic (I would like to have 3, however considering space, I can work with just 1! Whatever works for you guys!)

However, instead of a country, I would like to present Vancouver Island, Canada. The island is FULL of little hidden gems only locals have had the pleasure of enjoying, so I'd love to show examples of the little hikes and activities this island has to offer!
Hi Evie - You definitely can! With the graphics, having more than 1 should be possible but can you send us a PM with what you'd like to do with them and we can discuss the practicalities?
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

Can I have Fallen Letters puzzle and Art Dept. Art? Thank you :)
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Silvana Mandeville wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:02 am Can I have Fallen Letters puzzle and Art Dept. Art? Thank you :)
Sure thing, Silvana. :)
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Nearly finished with your homework? Want to earn a few more house points before the cup race finishes? You still have just under a week left to submit to the Howler!

You can still get an article, puzzle or ad approved. Alternatively, you can submit something creative without needing to ask. :D

Remember that everything needs to be sent in via the submission form linked above.
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Skylar Peyton
No broom

Post by Skylar Peyton »

Could I do:

The Biography of Meryl Streep
Tell us about an adventure you've had
Tell us about an adventure you've always wanted to go on
Jigsaw Puzzle
Hashi Puzzle
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Skylar Peyton wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:39 pm Could I do:

The Biography of Meryl Streep
Tell us about an adventure you've had
Tell us about an adventure you've always wanted to go on
Jigsaw Puzzle
Hashi Puzzle
Go for it, Skylar. :D
(Av/sig by S. Elf)

Return to “The Howler”