What draws you to a song

Music Discussions Go Here

Moderator: Prefects

Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

What draws you to a song

Post by Amy Smith »

What makes you like a song? The melody, the lyrics, or something else?

For me personally it's always the melody, but at times the lyrics as well. I believe even though a song were to have bad lyrics per se, the melody makes it better.
I also love the harmony, that we get after combining the rhythm, melody with the pitch and the song that it creates. The lyrics and the meaning behind the song attracts me as well.
So it's always the melody, rhythm, etc of the song and then the lyrics (exception being a few songs)
Anne-Marie Gagne

Re: What draws you to a song

Post by Anne-Marie Gagne »

I've sat here to think about this and I realized that I really can't pinpoint why a song draws me to it. Depends on each song and how my brain reacts to it any different day.
Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

I think what draw me to a song most is the words, tune, and being able to understand the words. I can't stand rap music, metal, or music that is too loud.
Atlas Graves
No broom

Post by Atlas Graves »

I think it all really depends on the song. My whole music taste is somewhat all over the place. I guess the sound and the lyrics are what draw me to, somewhat of a guess but it's also pretty true.
Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Post by Adeline Morior »

I agree it depends on the song. I do have to say I do like a song more when the emotion put into the playing of the melody gives me goosebumps. Sometimes its the lyrics, other times the melody or just how well the song is performed with instrument or otherwise.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Katherine Laurier
No broom

Post by Katherine Laurier »

Honestly, I listen to a lot of genres that are super different from each other, but just a good beat, melody, and overall sound plus meaningful lyrics are what draw me to a song. Mostly, though, I love an upbeat song with sad lyrics that you don't know whether to cry to it or dance. :P
Gwen Foster
No broom

Post by Gwen Foster »

Personally, lyrics and the way an artist sings them is what draws me into their music. A lot of the bands I like have lyrics that I find meaningful and that I can relate to. The way an artist sings them makes it or breaks it for me too though because if it sounds like there is no passion or emotion behind it, it can be quite dull!
Marcus Darkwood
No broom

Post by Marcus Darkwood »

I agree with the first post, that it's almost always the melody for me as well. In fact, melody is an absolute requirement. Even a really fast rock song must have something melodic about it for me to like it. I don't like if it's just rhythm and power, with no melody. Also, I tend to be quite picky about vocals. I like strong, clear voices. My favourite singers all have what I would call a "warm" voice, though it's probably impossible to explain what that is. But screechy, high voices are not it, if that makes any sense.
Marcus Darkwood ~ Hufflepuff ~ Third Year

Return to “Music Talk”