Eurovision

Music Discussions Go Here

Moderator: Prefects

Janne Halla
Oakshaft 79

Eurovision

Post by Janne Halla »

It's nearly that time of the year again! Every month in May, Europe hosts the Eurovision Song Contest.

The Eurovision Song Contest, often known simply as Eurovision or by its initialism ESC, is an international (though mostly European) song competition organised annually by the European Broadcasting Union.

It's a competition marked by singing, but also elaborate costumes, set pieces, and drama!

The Eurovision Song Contest 2024 is set to be the 68th edition of the Eurovision Song Contest. It is scheduled to take place in Malmö, Sweden since Loreen won last year. It's nice in the way that it's going to be the 50th anniversary of ABBA's win.

Though I really think Finland deserved the win last year. ;)

Do you watch Eurovision or are you at least familiar with it? Which winner was your favourite? Are there other songs that didn't win that caught your ear (or eye)?

Tags:
Marcus Darkwood
No broom

Re: Eurovision

Post by Marcus Darkwood »

Oh, wow! YES, EUROVISION :D

I was a huge fan of the event for many years of my life. Unfortunately, in recent years I've calmed down about it, but of course I still watch it every year. I used to enjoy it more when every country had to sing in their own language, though. And also, nowadays I feel like it has become too visual and technological. I no longer remember what the actual stage looks like from year to year, because there are so many visual effects anyway, so it's harder for me to think of what makes each year unique.

BUT... wow, so many great songs came from this contest. Even some of my favourite songs of all time came from here. I had tried to compile my "top 10 Eurovision songs ever" list once, but sadly I don't remember the entire list anymore. I do remember that I put Austria 1989, the song "Nur ein Lied" by Thomas Forstner, in 1st place, though. But seriously, there are so many good Eurovision songs. I might come back here with a list of favourites some day!

My favourite winners are easier. It's Ireland 1987, "Hold Me Now" by Johnny Logan. And another favourite winner is Monaco 1971, "Un banc, un arbre, une rue" by Séverine. From recent years, my favourite winner is Duncan Laurence and his song "Arcade" from 2019. I even travelled to another country to see him in concert some months after he won.

... Yes, I used to be that much into this that I also watched many of the old contests, and all of the former winners.
Marcus Darkwood ~ Hufflepuff ~ Third Year
Caius Magnusson
No broom

Re: Eurovision

Post by Caius Magnusson »

I am not super into Eurovision, but a very close friend of mine (Ereshkigal Csintalan) has constantly told me - compelled me, even! - to give it a try. Although I'm not as much of an Eurovision fan or buff as she is, I've come to grown some of the pieces that have been performed in the last years.

I unironically like The Code (Switzerland's song for this year) a LOT. This song would make my playlist any day, even though I am more of a rock/metal kind of guy.

Return to “Music Talk”