Books turned into TV shows

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Jessica Barnes
No broom

Books turned into TV shows

Post by Jessica Barnes »

Do you have a Favorite book series that was turned into a TV show or what book series would you wish they turned into a TV show?

I'll go first...
The Vampire Diaries-L.L. James
The Sookie Stack house- Charline Harris-Tru Blood
Vampire Academy- Rachelle *They are turningt this into a TV show however it was a movie.*
Hockey is life!

Tags:
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Re: Books turned into TV shows

Post by Emily Spencer »

Oh, so many.....

To be fair, I haven't watched this one yet, but I fully intend to do so soon (Thank you, Tarma, for the nudge!)
Good Omens

My current obsession is:
A Discovery of Witches

I also really enjoyed:
Orange is the New Black
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot »

The True Blood (TV) series are so different than the books, that I like them each separately.

Good Omens season 2 is currently filming, for this one I liked the tv show a bit better than the book, but that could have been because I listened to the book, and I didn't care for the narrator of the story.

There's also Game of Thrones, but those books seem daunting to me to read :lol: :lol:
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~Ravenclaw~
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

The BBC adaption of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice starring Colin Firth is top of the list out if all the Pride and Prejudice adaptions I have seen.
Lucia Dinapoli
No broom

Post by Lucia Dinapoli »

BBC Sherlock is always a go to for me. Modern day detective ticks all my boxes :P I'm going to have to give Good Omens a go myself, I have heard great things ~
Mathilde Renard
No broom

Post by Mathilde Renard »

I'm quite looking forward to Vampire Academy, it used to be one of my favourite book series. I liked the movie well enough so to hear it's being made into TV series was great news!

From the ones already available to us, I quite enjoyed The Wheel of Time and A Discovery of Witches.
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

I tried to brainstorm a few series I enjoy where I’ve read at least the first book(s).

Used to be obsessed with the Anne of Green Gables movies (though surprisingly didn’t actually read it until I was an adult, I think I didn’t realize it was based on a book). Only read the first GoT book, but have seen the show a handful of times now and will likely continue to rewatch it. After setting a low bar so as not to be disappointed if it didn’t turn out good, was impressed with “The Testaments” book, sequel to The Handmaid’s Tale which I love and have seen it a few times. They’ve done a great job of adding to the world, but also would look forward to seeing this new sequel worked into the series. Read most of the ASoUE books when I was younger and enjoyed both the movie and series adaptations (what’s not to love when there are people like Lucy Punch playing Esmé Squalor!?) Sharp Objects I only read and saw once, but I remember liking it!

Anne With An E
• Game Of Thrones
• The Handmaid’s Tale
• A Series of Unfortunate Events
• Sharp Objects
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Sheila Bagnold
No broom

Post by Sheila Bagnold »

For me, my favorite book series aside from Harry Potter would be Percy Jackson, and Percy Jackson is on its way right now to being made into a TV show. It already has some movies about the first few books, but those are disasters and Rick Riordian, the author, said so himself. So it's not a surprise that their making a separate series.
“Anything’s possible if you have enough nerve,” - Ginny Weasley
Aurelia West
Cleansweep One

Post by Aurelia West »

Lucia Dinapoli wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:25 pm BBC Sherlock is always a go to for me. Modern day detective ticks all my boxes :P I'm going to have to give Good Omens a go myself, I have heard great things ~
I haven't watched the entirety of BBC's Sherlock yet, but I have loved all the episodes I've seen so far! I'm trying to convince my partner to add it to our queue, but there's currently a lot on it and we haven't had much time to watch things together lately. I also would love to watch Good Omens soon :)
Sheila Bagnold wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:54 am For me, my favorite book series aside from Harry Potter would be Percy Jackson, and Percy Jackson is on its way right now to being made into a TV show. It already has some movies about the first few books, but those are disasters and Rick Riordian, the author, said so himself. So it's not a surprise that their making a separate series.
I'm excited for the new show, as Rick actually has more of a hand in it this time! I hope to watch it when it comes out. As for the movies, well I only saw the first one and I like to pretend I didn't haha. It wasn't a horrible film, but it was a poor adaptation.
Ellie Vernez
No broom

Post by Ellie Vernez »

I loved the vampire diaries but i do prefer the series over the books
Rose Dove
No broom

Post by Rose Dove »

I love Anne of Green Gables but the Netflix adaptation was not great. I do prefer the movie versions of it. The Shadow and Bone adaptation on Netflix is pretty well done as far as following the books. I think it helped that the author was very involved with it. I think in general the books are almost always better than the movies.

Return to “Book Talk”