How Many Books Do You Read Per Year

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Marianne Bowers
No broom

Re: How Many Books Do You Read Per Year

Post by Marianne Bowers »

I've always been an incredibly slow reader. I normally have to reread more descriptive passages, and I get bored easily and sometimes skip large chunks of text. I once read the first two chapters of a book and then skipped to about a third of the way in. I slowly figured out who the supportive characters were and what the main conflict was, but I only needed to do that because I skipped a lot of the exposition.

I used to read constantly, and although I was a slow reader, I would finish a book once every week or two. Currently, I only pick up a book at the end of the day when I have time. I complete perhaps 5 books a year, although that's a bit of a high estimate. I probably consider or start about a hundred books a year, though. :huh:

In 2021, I'm hoping to read at least two books a month. I've been browsing the Amazon First Reads, and I've been considering applying for a monthly book subscription as well. I'm hoping that if I make it easy to find truly engaging books to read, I'll get out of my reading rut.

Tags:
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

I read quite a bit, and while I would consider myself a relatively fast reader, I do tend to go back and make sure I have all the details cemented in my mind before I move on to the next chapter, especially dependent on the author I'm reading. For example, if I'm reading Stephen King, I almost do it as a matter of course, as he tends to sidetrack a lot.

I've always been a voracious reader, so I would give a conservative estimate of 100-150 books per year. Thank Merlin for my Kindle, as I fear that I would run out of bookshelf space if I had to keep hard copies of all those books!
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Caitlin Morrisey
No broom

Post by Caitlin Morrisey »

I once read 253 books in an entire year at my old school. I was very surprised when I got the report to say how many books I had read over the year.
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

Wow, if I am still at school or college, then there are a lot. Haha. Nowadays I only read on my free times. Since I am busy with works and other activities. Well except for something easy to read, cause I don't like my reading time being disturbed by some business that I did. That's why I like to prepare special time to do some reading. For this holiday I had finished 5 books. Hm, I hope next year I can read more books, kinda miss my times when all I did was read books, lol.
Azriel Malfoy
No broom

Post by Azriel Malfoy »

I don't actually read that much, probably something like 7-8 books per year. I read a lot of fanfiction, though I don't think that counts :P And I'm still pretty pleased with myself as it is said that more than a half of my country's population doesn't read at all...
Lucia Dinapoli
No broom

Post by Lucia Dinapoli »

I never used to read too many books per year but from 2019 onwards I have aimed to read at least a book a month as my job permits for looooots of long breaks so I have a lot of free time! 2020 I read more books than I ever have and this year I am aiming for even more! My goal is two a month (most likely with lockdown booo) and I am a slow reader so that is a lot for me!
Izzy Gray
No broom

Post by Izzy Gray »

I have a list of goals that I write up at the start of each year, where I write what I want to achieve for that year, and usually, in one of my goals, I will set a goal of books to read per year. I try from 50-150 and I think weekly, depending on how busy my schedule is, I will read once or twice a day at least for a few hours and I will read probably one to three books a week (I like having different books open because if I ever get bored of the topic that I'm reading I can just move onto my next book, which will be different) So I think per year about 75 books if I'm really motivated and around 50 if I'm not that motivated to read or if I'm really busy x
Avery Hill
No broom

Post by Avery Hill »

A lot! I read an average of 2 books in three days! I can’t do the math right now but I can tell you it’s a lot
Astor Arensin
No broom

Post by Astor Arensin »

I generally read 10 fanfictions in a month (each with 10,000 words or more, some have 100,000), but I haven't read many published books recently. I used to read maybe a book every two days but now it's more like one every 6 months sadly. It's hard to find books that appeal to me. I easily get turned away by the writing style, plot, or characters.
Sheila Bagnold
No broom

Post by Sheila Bagnold »

For me, I try and read as much as I can, but the problem is I have a hard time starting new books because I think that they're going to be boring, so as I read quickly, I find myself wanting to read but have no idea what to read. But that doesn't mean that I don't read like a million books each year!
“Anything’s possible if you have enough nerve,” - Ginny Weasley
Xalvadora Lillian
No broom

Post by Xalvadora Lillian »

Honestly, the amount of books I read just varies. One year I read 40, and the following year I read 84. I find certain authors and genres that I instantly fall in love with. Once that happens, reading becomes my main focus!
Bianca Bravehearts
No broom

Post by Bianca Bravehearts »

I read over 1,000
Abigailia Pickle
No broom

Post by Abigailia Pickle »

Usually, the number varies but looking at my bookshelf, (which is overflowing) I read about 100 a year and I love each and every one of them. : )
Oceana Coventina
No broom

Post by Oceana Coventina »

I am almost always busy during the weekdays with school, work, chores, etc however I love reading and always try to find time to do it! I would say I read about two books a month, I wish I could read more I just always fall asleep when reading no matter what book it is or the time of day lol. During the summer though when I am less busy I think I read maybe a book a week.
Aura Nightmoon
No broom

Post by Aura Nightmoon »

I read a lot of books for school and over the summer and also for fun. Last year I read 37 books, and this year, I've read 24 books. My goal is to read 100 books by the time I graduate, so I'm aiming for at least 25 books per year.
Luna-Love Swan
No broom

Post by Luna-Love Swan »

I try to at least read 20 books a year. Sometimes I make that goal and sometimes I don't.
Maeve Madden
No broom

Post by Maeve Madden »

I read about 30 books a year! I used to read 60 books per year, but with school and everything going on in life, I brought it down to 30. I make my goal and track it on Goodreads.
Marcus Cerri
No broom

Post by Marcus Cerri »

I don't read much books per year, at least I think two but I read much on internet and I read loads of magazines! I really enjoy magazines :)
Dominick Salinas
No broom

Post by Dominick Salinas »

I read about 20-25 books a year. During the school year, I average one every 2-3 weeks or so, but during the summer/long holidays I can easily read one each week (if not more). Reading is my favorite thing to do! 🤓
Katherine Thomas
No broom

Post by Katherine Thomas »

Last year I read 68 books, this year I have read 10 books and I am on my 11th book right now.

Return to “Book Talk”