Book Suggestions

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Hannah Lovegood
Oakshaft 79

Re: Book Suggestions

Post by Hannah Lovegood »

I think that Three Keys is pretty good. I'm reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Ravenclaw edition.

Tags:
Izzy Gray
No broom

Post by Izzy Gray »

I actually really enjoyed J.K. Rowling's new book; The Ickabog
As I love the style of Joe's writing, and the mystery, fantasy, all the links between the first and last chapter, and how cohesive her story writing is! Therefore, I would rate it a 4.7/5 and I would definitely reccommend the book for Harry Potter Book lovers!!
Sage Locket
No broom

Post by Sage Locket »

I really recommend the book Blackout, there's many different authors who wrote a chapter about teenagers who face problems and relationships that occur, it's amazing!
Abigailia Pickle
No broom

Post by Abigailia Pickle »

I would love some book recommendations for myself but here are some that you need to read if you haven't already.

The Selection- Many people have heard of the Selection, it's a 5 book series about America who gets put into the Selection and brought to the castle to fight for the prince's love, the twist is that she doesn't want to be there. She has a lover at home already and when he shows up at the palace it turns her life into a spiral of emotions and drama.

Stalking Jack the Ripper- This is a 4 book series that I personally love. It's a forensics-based book with romance mixed in. It's set back when women first got their rights and men were still adjusting to that. The main character is named Audrey Rose. She's an intelligent woman who has an interest in forensic science but she is looked down upon because of her status as both a noble and woman.

Six of Crows- Finally I would like to bring to you Six of Crows. This book is a part of a Duology and is a part of the Grishaverse as some of you may have heard of. It's a spinoff of the popular Shadow and Bone series. Personally, I like the Six of Crows duology better. It's about a group of 6 criminals. They go on an incredible job where they venture into the Ice Court to steal a powerful Grisha who can create a substance called Parem that drives people insane. There is a taste of everything for everyone and I highly recommend this book for all kinds of readers.
Amelia Jameson
No broom

Post by Amelia Jameson »

[I'm Amelia, but call me Mia, and these are my book suggestions-(divided by genre)
Mystery-
Book Scavenger
The Agathas
A Good Girls Guide To Murder
Any Agatha Christie Books!

Realistic Fiction-
Almost Home
Tell Me
We Are Not From Here

Romance-
The Sun is Also a Star
All our worst Ideas
The Selection (Series-5 book)
The Siren

Fantasy-
The Land Of Stories (Series-6 Book)
Keeper of the Lost Cities (Series 9 books+ ongoing)
Spin the Dawn (Series 2 Book)
every single Rick Riordan book ever. (Like 22 of them)

And...Thats all for now!!!!!
-Mia J
Emma Tommie
No broom

Post by Emma Tommie »

Whenever I think about a book recommendation, the first thing that comes to mind is my favorite favorite author Rachel Lynn Solomon. The first book I ever picked up by her was Today, Tonight, Tomorrow, an academic rivals-to-lovers that takes place over the course of twenty-four hours during the last day of school scavenger hunt, and I absolutely devoured it. I read it in one sitting! Anything she writes is phenomenal, but my other favorites by her are The Ex Talk, a story about two talkshow radio hosts who have to pretend to be a couple that had broken up for their work, and See You Yesterday, a Groundhog Day-esque time-loop rom-com. Her writing is so engaging, and she has amazing representation across her novels. She's most well known for her Jewish main characters, and her romance stories range from YA to Adult!
Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Post by Adeline Morior »

I know everyone is probably looking for some fantasy or fiction books but I have to suggest two books that I will never forget and really made an in pack on my life. They are a bit old but anyone who haven't read them, have a look. I really liked them. They are great motivational books for goals in your life.
Predatory Thinking - Book by Dave Trott & Who Moved My Cheese? - Book by Spencer Johnson.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Mia Romanova
No broom

Post by Mia Romanova »

Book Suggestions

I only really read fantasy!

Emily Wilde’s Encyclopaedia of Faeries by Heather Fawcett - such a cozy book, I read this the day I got it and was captivated by the story. About a young professor / researcher that goes to a remote village to investigate secrets and mysteries for the sake of the encyclopaedia she’s writing.

Threadneedle by Cari Thomas - if you haven’t read this yet then you need to! This book has so many plot twists. I can’t describe to you how obsessed I was when I read it. A young girl learning to use magic for the first time - faces a lot of deep decisions.

A Deadly Education / Scholomance Series - Naomi Novik - Noami is a legendary author. Look her up, shes made a website i’m sure we’re all a big fan of. If you haven’t heard of this series i’d be surprised. Instantly was stuck in it. Definitely my second favourite series - it’s about a school of magical children stuck in a school till they graduate or die trying essentially (sound familiar?). I’d say it’s quite similar to Harry Potter in the sense it’s a magical school but apart from that they’re nothing alike.
Mia Romanova
Eveline Roona
No broom

Post by Eveline Roona »

One of my favourite books at the moment is The Leviathan by Rosie Andrews. It's fairly new, coming out earlier this year I believe and I remember that I was reading it so much it was practically attached to my hand haha
Ollie Berkenstalk
No broom

Post by Ollie Berkenstalk »

I'm not a person who can read a book over again because I already know the end, but here are a few that I would absolutely read over and over again.

1. Frankenstein by Mary Shelly - a classic and somewhat hard to read if you don't know old english very well, but such an interesting story and so different than what the movies portray
2. Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster - It's about an orphan girl getting sent to college by an unknown man who she calls Daddy Long Legs because all she saw of him was how tall he was, and it's her letters to him about her college experience. It's a romance story and it's very sweet and heartwarming.
3. The Siren by Kiera Cass - A Love story about a Siren falling in love with a human. The Writers concept of sirens is interesting and makes it such a fun read. There are so many twists and turns in her story that make you wondering what will happen next with each chapter.
Rory Cohen
No broom

Post by Rory Cohen »

My personal favorite, at least at the moment, is Crime and Punishment. If you like psychology I think this is a really good one for casual analysis!
Hiya Debnath
Oakshaft 79

Post by Hiya Debnath »

If you are a fan of fantasy-drama and like powerful protagonists, you can read the "Throne of Glass" series featuring a powerful female protagonist character called Aelin Galathynius, who I personally found quite inspiring. Her struggles and how her personality helped her fight them make for quite the worthy read. The writer of the book series is Sarah. J. Maas.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.
Te Hey
No broom

Post by Te Hey »

All great suggestions.
Of course, it really comes down to personal preference. As of late I have been working through a series called "Dungeon Crawler Carl," by Matt Dinniman. Not too bad.
I like the approach and character development. It, unfortunately, is a LitRPG book, and some people are not partial to that genre.
Basic rundown, Earth was established to produce competitors in a world competition. Essentially everyone in the world who was indoors, including cars, was unalive instantly and the survivors were forced to enter a "dungeon" and compete to survive. It's pretty good. Can get repetitive.

Return to “Book Talk”