Book Suggestions

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Bridgette Medwin
No broom

Book Suggestions

Post by Bridgette Medwin »

I'm somewhat of a picky reader but I thought I would be open to reading some suggestions from anyone?

Also I have a few suggestions:

A Plague Of Socerers (This book isn't well known but I really liked it)
The Cay
Hatchet
The Giver (amazing)
Bridgette Eliza Medwin | Proud 1st year Gryffindor
Maker of custom Signatures | PM me your request
Wand: Maple & Walnut | 13 1/2 inches | Pheonix Feather
Pet: Black Cat Named GiGi

Tags:
Tulojow Nagde
No broom

Post by Tulojow Nagde »

What kind of stuff do you like to read? Are there any criteria or areas to look for/watch out for. For instance, are you open for non-fiction recommendations? How about different genres?
Sometimes life gives us lessons sent in ridiculous packaging.
- Dar Williams
Never Headbutt A Unicorn!Image
Harry Lestrange
No broom

Post by Harry Lestrange »

One book that is really good is the Bartimaus trilology. It is about a boy who summons a demon. He loses control of the demon and, havoc breaks lose /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> .
Gryff's ROCK!!!!
Alentia Crystalis
No broom

Post by Alentia Crystalis »

Hm, I bought so many new books to read for the summer, about like 20, and I've only read...2. Well:

All-American Girl by Meg Cabot: A girl suddenly becomes America's hero after she saves the president from an assassination attack. She recieves unwanted attention, especially from her closest friends and family and the President's son.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde: A man so innocent is pulled into a wild frenzy of corruption and greed when he discovers that a portrait lets him live forever. Consumed by his new state, he leads a life of vanity...and murder.

Sabriel by Garth Nix: A girl endowed with great magical abilities must rescue her father and live by the Abhorsen name as she must destroy the new evil developing in her nation...

Yeah, I sound pretty lame but I got bored. These are really good books actually, especially the Dorian Gray one. Happy reading!
Gryffindor <3
Bridgette Medwin
No broom

Post by Bridgette Medwin »

Tulojow Nagde wrote:What kind of stuff do you like to read?  Are there any criteria or areas to look for/watch out for.  For instance, are you open for non-fiction recommendations?  How about different genres?

I prefer fiction books, although if they are really good I enjoy others as well /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

To everyone else who posted ideas, those look great next time I go to the library I'll check it out.
Bridgette Eliza Medwin | Proud 1st year Gryffindor
Maker of custom Signatures | PM me your request
Wand: Maple & Walnut | 13 1/2 inches | Pheonix Feather
Pet: Black Cat Named GiGi
Prof. Dom Gaidin
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Dom Gaidin »

Personally, I love fantasy. I've not read all of the books I have (I have a fair few *g*) but of those I have, a short list of my recommendations is as follows:

Raymond E. Feist - I love the Riftwar and Serpentwar series, and the follow-ons such as the Krondor Legacy and Legends of the Riftwar.
Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time can be pretty heavy going (and let's face it, so far there is a prequel and ten house bricks, so they should keep anyone occupied for a few weeks /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />) but they are well worth it.
Kristen Britain - I really enjoyed Green Rider and First Rider's Call, still waiting for the next book, but so far I'm hooked.
David Gemmell - The Drenai novels are almost all I've read of his, but they are great works, and some of his others are included in my collection of books waiting for me to read them.
James Barclay - The first Raven series, Dawnthief, Noonshade and Nightchild hooked me, they were really excellent. Unfortunately for me, I felt they started off at the best, and so I've not yet been able to get into his later stuff, such as Elfsorrow, which returns to the characters collectively known as The Raven.
Steven Erikson - Again, I felt that the books were better earlier on, Gardens of the Moon was great, after that, they gradually declined, for me, until I was unable to get into the third or fourth book much. Plus the series has a terribly long winded name - Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen.
Simon R. Green - Blue Moon Rising was probably the book that first got me into fantasy, reading it again after it was re-released recently, I didn't enjoy it quite as much, but it has to be a recomendation just on that basis. The sequel, Beyond the Blue Moon was ok, but not brilliant, but some of the stand alone books, like Down Among the Dead Men and Blood and Honour were pretty decent. Green is more widely known for his Sci-Fi Deathstalker series, but I don't read Sci-Fi, so I can't comment of those /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I guess I like a lot of books, but yes, I only read fantasy - Harry Potter is as far away from my chosen genre as you can take me /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Dom
Dom Gaidin | pr_dom | Hufflepuff Professor
'By nature of definition, only the coward is capable of the highest heroism.'
'The sooner I fall behind, the more time I'll have to catch up.'
Faye Laramie
Oakshaft 79

Post by Faye Laramie »

I loved the Kristen Britain books -- like Dom, I'm eagerly awaiting for the third book! They're just so intricately woven, the stories about the breach in the wall and the Green Riders seem so mystical.

I like fantasy but also contemporary fiction - I, for one, loved All-American Girl recommended by Alentia up there, but it IS a teen book /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Some other great books I've read lately:

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro -- Kathy discovers that her old school, Hailsham, is full of secrets and really isn't what it seems to be. It has an interesting social commentary, and it's slightly futuristic. Just beautifully written... and heartwrenching.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini -- this is probably one of the best books I've ever read. Parts of it are very sad, other parts horrifying, but a great read. Poignant, it will stay in your mind for many years.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon -- it's a book narrated by 15-year-old Christopher, who has autism. A great voice in fiction, cleverly written, and insightful.

In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez -- an important book about the four Mirabel sisters and political oppression in the Dominican Republic - again, sad, but one of those books you're glad to have read afterwards.
Glumbumble pie.
Blake Slatton
No broom

Post by Blake Slatton »

I've already recommended this book on another topic, but I'll do so again here.

Life of Pi, by Yann Martel is a great book. It's about this sixteen year old kid who's family owns an Indian zoo. He has a keen interest in religion and zoology. But when his family decides to move overseas, they have to close the zoo. They sell most of the animals, although a large haul of them go overseas on a boat with the Patel family. However, during a terrible storm, the ship sinks, leaving the main character Pi stuck in a boat with only survival equipment, a Bengal tiger, an orangutan, a rat, a zebra, a few cockroaches ... and himself. This book, although full of suspense and emotion, is great - a "modern classic" as the back of the book says. I think it teaches readers many lessons and is a great book for anyone.
Alte Sententiam | Pensieve Opinion Staff
Ravenclaw Book Club | Writer's Society

Sig made by Vladimir of Sig 'N 'Av Palace
Alentia Crystalis
No broom

Post by Alentia Crystalis »

Almost forgot. There's this one book that I remember-Toxic Psychiatry-I can't remember who wrote it, but it's this book (rather large, might I warn you) about psychiatry and the evils of it basically-the dangers of the latest drugs out there (prozac, tranquilizers, etc) and how psychiatric wards were manipulating and were extremely hurtful than helpful. It starts out how this group from Harvard went to a psychiatric ward (mind you, this is completely real) and it was basically a dungeon or a jail. The people are lined up on the floors and stuck together and are basically driven insane-not by their states (OCD, phobic, paranoia, etc) but because they're driven mad by the living conditions and how they have to live. The guards are completely terrible and the people living there are constantly abused and have to live basically in filth.

I guess you could call it a little above a "PG-13" book based on the stuff in there, but it is a good read.
Last edited by Alentia Crystalis on Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gryffindor <3
Amy Vision
No broom

Post by Amy Vision »

I belive the "Star Wars Jedi Apprentice" books by Jude Watson Are the best!! At least if you like Star Wars /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" /> If your looking for some more romance/comedy, look for Princess Diaries books by Meg Cabot. Well, those are my suggestions. Enjoy!
I made this sig myself. feel free to PM me
if you would like me to make you one.

|Amy James Vision|Keeper of the Secrets|
|Chocolate Freak|Snape Hater|Harry Potter Lover|
Josie Monkelly
No broom

Post by Josie Monkelly »

Try reading the Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan. Great stuff, I love them and am completely addicted to them! There's 9 books in the series (at least in the US anyway), with more to come, but they are excellent! About vampires, basically.
Sophronia Bradenton
No broom

Post by Sophronia Bradenton »

Tamsin by Peter S. Beagle. PLEASE someone read this book! It's one of the greatest books I've ever read. It's about this girl Jenny Gluckstein who moves to England with her family, and there she meets the ghost of Tamsin Willoughby who is trapped on their estate by terrible happenings in her past that she can't remember. Jenny has to help Tamsin discover them, but in doing so awakens some of the terrible things. I'm SO bad at summaries but this book is WONDERFUL. Take my word for it, I've read it three times in less than a year.

I also second Sabriel.
*Overlord of Oboes and Mistress of the Majestic*

yum yum eat 'em up
Prof. Angelus Darklost
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Angelus Darklost »

I am an avid reader. I have this nasty little tendency to pick up 2-3 novels a weekend from Barnes & Noble. And that's every weekend.

ANYwho...some of my favorites authors to recommend are:
Terry Brooks: A very standard fantasy author, who most people seem to know about. I often have a hard time getting into the groove with the names he uses for his characters, but the flow of the rest of the books are wonderful. Any book in any series he's written is well worth picking up. I would highly suggest Angel Fire West and The Black Unicorn as being my two favorites he's written.

Christopher Rice: His writing style is easy to read, but the subject matter is slightly gritty at times. [[Definitely gets a PG-13 rating on theme alone; the rest of the books seem to be rated PG 13.]] He definitely has his mother's gift for spinning a tale. A Density of Souls is his first book, and definitely one I would recommend to anyone to pick up and read. [[I'm also currenlty reading his newest book, Light Before Day; of what I've read, this is just as gritty and intriguing as his previous two.]]

Sidney Sheldon: I fell in love with his writing style when I first read Sands of Time. I still love his writing and I still love that book (hence why it's at the top of my list of books to recommend). But again, I will put a PG-13 rating on any of his books for theme alone (although Sands of Time is definitely R-rated if you know Spanish). As a whole, I love his books and find them very well written (although slightly formulaic after you've read most of them).

Mick Farren: He's written a lot of books, but I've only found two of his locally. Both books definitely fit that World of Darkness feel that White Wolf Studios aims for in their RPG games: A Time For Feasting is set in New York City, and Darklost is set in Los Angeles. They make up one series that he has written, and the way the books are written makes vampires and mages seem all that more intriguing to study. Defintely a good read for any fantasy/science-fiction fans.

Margaret Truman: Her Capital Crimes series is her most well-known set of writings. And every last murder mystery is just as fun to read as the one before it. Having been to Washington, DC and seen almost all of these hot tourist spots, I can easily get wrapped up in the story and feel like I'm there. She has a great way with words, and knows how to spin a good tale of murder. I definitely suggest Murder in the National Cathedral as a prime example of her writing.

And lastly, I leave you with a single book that is absolutely riveting, engrossing, and slightly freaky: The Tattooed Map by Barbara Hodgson. This book is setup like a woman's travel diary, with photos, notes, and other finds right in the margins of the pages. It chronicles her trip with a friend to North Africa and this "map" that has suddenly started to appear on her arm. The tale is quite intriguing and nerve-wracking as you follow her and her friend on this journey. Definitely at the top of my list of books to recomment. Definitely....
"The monkey may be off your back, but that doesn't mean the circus has left town." -- George Carlin
Gabrielle Walker
No broom

Post by Gabrielle Walker »

Ok, I am going to go to the library soon so I will have some more friendly authors to suggest, but I will warn you. This author is not for the light of heart. Please don't tell me I shouldn't read it as that is what my grandmother did when she found out I was reading Shakespear and Edgar Allen Poe in 5th grade. This year I have read many books by Stephen King. His material is at least PG-13. If you were looking for a small series I would off the Gunslinger series. (7 books. about 300 pages each.) If you are looking for a long book then I suggest Desparation or Insomnia. Each book teaches a little.

Now, I am going to give some more friendly books that I have been forced to read or read by choice and suggestion of friends.

Eragon All of my friends read it and we all loved it. I have seen people start other stories they wrote almost the exact same way. Just about a boy and his adventures. I am not going to ruin the novel for you.

Hickory, Dickory, Death This is a mystery book by Agatha Christie. It has an interesting plot about a kleptomaniac and then takes a turn towards something else. Ends with the nursery rhyme Hickory Dickory Dock and is also title as such.

Deathwatch Survival pure and simple. A boy finds himself in the desert without food or water and has to find a way to survive. Unfortunately, the same guy that stranded him is watching him to make sure he doesn't live.

This is all I can think of at the current time.
Prof. Angelus Darklost
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Angelus Darklost »

Sorry for another post here, but I just remembered an author that really needs recommending:

Jim Butcher: His Dresden Files series is fantastic! It's a slightly more adult wizard story (think Harry Potter in his mid-twenties set in a darker version of Chicago)...but at the same time, a highly enjoyable ride. Dark Beat is the newest book in the series, and one that definitely shows how intense this series has been. It's been getting a little grittier and darker as it's gone on...but so has the Harry Potter series. This could very well be the Harry Potter for adults.
"The monkey may be off your back, but that doesn't mean the circus has left town." -- George Carlin
James Summers
No broom

Post by James Summers »

You can also try....

Terry Goodkind His 'Sword of Truth' series stands at some 10 books now (I think) and is still going. They can be quite heavy at times but the first ones especialy are a really good read. Magic is the primary force behind these books, and as the series progresses a struggle against an expanding empire that threatens the land. 'Wizards First Rule' is the first in the series.

Anne McCaffery Her 'Pern' Series is brilliant, and has a large and very decicated fandom. The most recent ones ('Skies of Pern', 'DragonsKin' etc) aren't nearly as good as the originals were. Lighter reading than some, and a nice easy set of books to get into and enjoy. Top notch if you're a dragon-addict. Try starting with either 'DragonsDawn', 'DragonFlight' or 'DragonSong'.

Brian Lumley His 'Necroscope' series is a very dark and twisted take on the Vampire legends of old. Superbly written, with it's own excellent internal logic. Highly recommended, but only if you're over 18 because he's been known to get quite graphic. Quite hard reading, but it's easy to get addicted. Start with 'Necroscope!'.

Stephen Donaldson His 'Chronicals of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever' are simply superb. Set in a universe parallel to ours, with an anti-hero dragged there from our world, this series forces you to look at the world in shades of grey, rather than simple black and white. He can be quite long-winded at times, so not a series to start unless you like wordy authors. Currently standing at seven books (two distinct trilogies, with a third trilogy being written). Start with 'Lord Foul's Bane'

Guy Gavriel Kay His 'Fionavar Tapestry' is a very good light read. Another series set in a paralell universe, with hero's dragged there from our world, it's also a much lighter read than Donaldson is. Nice to settle down with if you're not feeling like concentrating much *g*. It's a trilogy, and starts with 'The Summer Tree'

Last but not least, if you want to try a stand-alone book then I'd highly recomment 'The Stand' by Stephen King. It's another long winded book, but one of my favourties. Certainly the set-up at the beginning is chillingly possible, though he then starts heading off into the realms of fantasy.

Jim
***Per Ardua Ad Astra***
Raevyn Lovel
No broom

Post by Raevyn Lovel »

The Dark Magician series by Trudi Canavan. I just finished reading them, they are fantastic.

Marian Keyes is also a fabulous writer. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Raevyn Lovel | ra503 | Image | Second Year | Quidditch Lover

Tia Sem
No broom

Post by Tia Sem »

You should definately read The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.....after you have read the book you should watch the movie....lol....you'll find some famous actors in it but of course when they were young..its an old movie
Tia Sem
<Sig. made by Bridgette Medwin...Thank You!>

Post by Blake Slatton »

I've recently thought of a couple other books that I would recommend to anyone. Some of them are fairly simple reads, but great anyways.

Shadow of the Dragon, Sherry Garland is a great book about Asian culture, and an Asian family trying to make it in Texas.

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë - although I didn't like this book at first, I do now that I've reread it. It's very advanced with a bit of French dialect in it. It'd be best to look up what you don't understand to make it an easier read.

Farewell to Manzanar, Jeanne Houston describes vividly the life in the camp and the humiliations suffered by the detainees. It was a real life story by the author.

Those are just a couple more great ones.
Alte Sententiam | Pensieve Opinion Staff
Ravenclaw Book Club | Writer's Society

Sig made by Vladimir of Sig 'N 'Av Palace
Alianne Rutherford
No broom

Post by Alianne Rutherford »

I have to second James' recommendation of Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. They are very addicting to read, and distracted me from doing necessary work. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Besides that, I would definitely recommend Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series, if you don't mind the relationship of two males who have fallen in love with each other. It's really a well-written series, and I found it hard to put down the books once I'd started reading it.

Return to “Book Talk”