What are you currently reading?

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

What are you currently reading?

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot »

We're only a month into 2021 and I am hoping some people put "read more books" on their 2021 goal list. So, I want to know what are you currently reading?

As for me I am currently reading Cinder by Marissa Myer. Its book one in The Lunar Chronicles. Its a series loosely based off the story Cinderella, but it takes place in the future during a plague <_< <_< <_< and Cinder is a cyborg. Its a good mix between science fiction and fairy tale. There are 5 books in the series, the author has a few books that are add-ons in between, and right now the first book is hard to put down.
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~Ravenclaw~

Tags:
Artiass Swanson
No broom

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by Artiass Swanson »

I read Harry Potter books many years ago. We had to wait and count the days until the next book was published. But since I am not English speaking, I read translated books at that time. So maybe now with these explanations it is not so strange to say that the book I just started reading is harry potter and philosopher's stone. But this time in the main language of the book, English.
I feel very good because I can learn a lot of magic tools and animals in English.
Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

I'm currently re-reading the Harry Potter series, the best series!

Right now I'm on chapter seven of the Chamber of Secrets. :)
Lucia Dinapoli
No broom

Post by Lucia Dinapoli »

Currently I am reading a book by Edward Parnell called Ghostland: In Search of a Haunted Country but I think I am going to attempt a new series after this, perhaps The Maze Runner or Percy Jackson
Evelin Stockom
No broom

Post by Evelin Stockom »

Currently, I am reading Pyjamas are forgiving by Twinkle Khanna. It is a fictional tale about a lady who is suffering from a sleep disorder with humour on the side. Twinkle is one of my favourite writers, her whole personality is inspirational. Her columns, blogs and books delve into the life of people from all parts and are ironic and satirical to the most. She has the most suitable pen name too- Mrs Funnybones.
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

I admit, I read quit a lot, but the books I read aren't good fits for the Book Club, IMHO. Currently I've been reading books which center around something notorious which happened in the 1960's, 70's or 80's, written by authors who have thoroughly investigated what actually happened and written about it, taking advantage of the fact that many of the people who were directly connected in some way are still living, and the media and/or family and friends no longer have a vested interest in pushing their white washed stories. Truth is much more complex than we're usually told, as well. I'll leave off the titles. But that's what I'm currently reading.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Savina Flemming
No broom

Post by Savina Flemming »

I just finished reading the first a series of unfortunate events
Violet Sutton
No broom

Post by Violet Sutton »

I am currently in the middle of re-reading the excellent book of Count of Monte Christo!
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

I read quite a bit, but not all of my books are exactly HOL-appropriate. I tend to read darker books, and my current one is no exception. Right now I am almost halfway through Dracula's Child by J.S. Barnes. I must admit that I am pleasantly surprised and am enjoying it way more than I expected. I usually shy away from 'sequels' of already established books (especially by a different author), but this one is quite good. Also, given the season, it seems quite appropriate!
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Sheila Bagnold
No broom

Post by Sheila Bagnold »

I'm actually re-reading right now the Harry Potter series, currently on book 7, and I completely forgot how much I have loved this series
“Anything’s possible if you have enough nerve,” - Ginny Weasley
Elara Phoenixflow
No broom

Post by Elara Phoenixflow »

I was given the Mary Poppins books as a gift so I am currently reading through them. I am nearly finished with the second one and I quite like them so far. The Mary Poppins in the books is a lot stricter than the one in the movies however the adventures they go on are really quite interesting. The books are not at all like the movies in my opinion apart from a few similar events that take place. It's not something I would usually read but I do like sort of old-fashioned style books and things like that. I'm excited because after I read this series I'm going to FINALLY read Little Women. I have no idea why I haven't read it yet but I'm looking forward to it.
Maeve Madden
No broom

Post by Maeve Madden »

I'm currently reading The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid. It's a science fiction book, which isn't usually my style, but I quite like it! Would definitely recommend.
Aurelia West
Cleansweep One

Post by Aurelia West »

Maeve Madden wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:17 pm I'm currently reading The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid. It's a science fiction book, which isn't usually my style, but I quite like it! Would definitely recommend.
I've heard good things about that one! Glad to hear you're liking it; I'll have to add it to my tbr! I just finished up Geekerella by Ashley Poston, a cute homage to fan culture, and am currently re-reading through the original Percy Jackson series in anticipation of the upcoming Disney+ show.
Anthea Selwyn
No broom

Post by Anthea Selwyn »

Im currently reading "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt.
Nyx Blue
No broom

Post by Nyx Blue »

I am currently finishing The Wife Upstairs but it is taking me a minute because I am also reading The Half Blood Prince to my spouse each night. :D
Beautch Chance
No broom

Post by Beautch Chance »

I am currently reading 'Twisted Fates' which is the third book in the series called 'The Xun Ove Series' written by James William Peercy. I found this author by accident at a local comic book convention and was lucky enough to be able to buy all the books to this series (that are currently out) and have them all signed by him as well. The series is filled with magic and adventure, not to mention tons of different creatures. I love the eloquence of how the books are written too. Ten out of ten, would definitely recommend. :D
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

I’m currently reading a book about Princess Alice, the mother of Prince Philip. Concurrently, I am also reading a biography about Queen Elizabeth II. Yes, I may be a wee bit obsessed with the monarchy :)
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Jade Garcia
No broom

Post by Jade Garcia »

I am currently rereading the chronicles of Narnia books because I haven't read them in a while. I don't remember much of what happened. ^_^
Dominick Salinas
No broom

Post by Dominick Salinas »

I am currently reading Midnight in Chernobyl. I've been on a big Chernobyl kick for the last several months and have read a couple books regarding it - the most interesting of which was interviews with people who lived there and were affected by it. A reading rabbit hole that I highly recommend! :D
Cirilla Vulpis
No broom

Post by Cirilla Vulpis »

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I wanted to see why it was considered a 'classic'. Keep having to remind myself that it was written in the 1860s before phones, TVs etc!

Return to “Book Talk”