What Classes Do You Want To See Happen This Year Coming Up?

Discussion About Classes and Projects at HOL
Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Post by Bull J. Johnson »

I want a Arithmancy class to help for when OWLs happens soon.

What classes does everyone else want to see?
Star Andromeda Black
No broom

Post by Star Andromeda Black »

next year is my OWLs so I should make sure I have taken all of those classes in preparation this year.
Siggy by ME!!!

"We're given a code to live our lives by. We don't always follow it, but it's still there." `Gary Oldman, Actor ~Sirius Black

|| Star Andromeda Black || st941 || 3rd Year || Hufflepuff ||
Maxwell Shadow
Cleansweep One

Post by Maxwell Shadow »

I'm not looking for a particular class I'm just excited and looking forward to the list being published. Every term it takes me ages to narrow down my choices there're so many classes I want to take. The one I know I'm taking this year (really hope it's there again) is the broom race across Sweeden. Should have taken it last year but didn't have space for it!
Slytherin forever
Prof. Tom Foster
Oakshaft 79

Post by Prof. Tom Foster »

Waiting patiently for the list to be published as well (checking every few minutes to see of the list is published yet) :)

I can't think of any class in particular that I want to see, a piano class, another class to do with aurors, and maybe more extreme advanced classes of the canon classes would be cool or classes to even better prepare us for the OWLs. Won't know what exactly I want to take this term until the list is released :P
Last edited by Prof. Tom Foster on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Alaia Logan
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Alaia Logan »

@ Tom

Settle down young grasshopper. Class list isn't going up until the 11th :)
Avatar and signature made by the fabulous Ely Granger
Freya Amaranth
No broom

Post by Freya Amaranth »

After seeing the classes list, I'm quite disappointed not to see Norse Myth and Role Playing :(
Angel Pevensie
No broom

Post by Angel Pevensie »

I was planning to take Beauxbatons and The Tudors classes, but apparently they are not on the list this term :(

Where did they go?
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot »

Unfortunately that is the risk you take when you don't take a class any give term. Classes are not always guaranteed to come back the next year. :(
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~Ravenclaw~
Arya Abbot
No broom

Post by Arya Abbot »

Its my first year here and I honestly am not picky about what I take but essays are intimidating :blink:
Ian Carson
No broom

Post by Ian Carson »

Angel Pevensie wrote:QUOTE (Angel Pevensie @ Aug 17 2013, 09:49 PM) I was planning to take Beauxbatons and The Tudors classes, but apparently they are not on the list this term :(

Where did they go?
The professor who taught that class left HOL. I'm thinking about student teaching a French class soon, though.
Lisbelle Tanwick
No broom

Post by Lisbelle Tanwick »

Ian Carson wrote:QUOTE (Ian Carson @ Sep 15 2013, 05:52 PM) The professor who taught that class left HOL. I'm thinking about student teaching a French class soon, though.
Oh please do! It would make French so much better to learn than in RL opposed to at HOL
Angel Pevensie
No broom

Post by Angel Pevensie »

Looking forward to another French class (or is it the same class but a new teacher? )

No matter, though, I definitely will join. Yay!
Prof. Tom Foster
Oakshaft 79

Post by Prof. Tom Foster »

That other French class has been taught since before I came to HOL, I took it a couple years ago and was confused as to why it wasn't being taught again this year. Thanks for clearing up all the confusion, Ian.

I have a different class in mind that I would like to see offered in the future. Through the years, we have had different kinds of language classes. We have or had a French class, parseltongue class (which was quite good), a Hungarian class, languages 101 (about learning different kinds of language). The class I would like to see offered is a language class with languages that can't really be spoken. There are people in the world who can't communicate like others can. Some who are hearing impaired or visually impaired. I had a friend a few years ago who was partially visually impaired and she taught me some braille and it was quite interesting the way it works. I have also learned and am still learning sign language as well. Languages that enable us to communicate with people who we couldn't otherwise communicate with could come in handy. Never know when you'd come into contact with someone who is visually or hearing impaired. It would make it easier for them to communicate with us as well. If there are other languages that can't really be spoken, this class could include them as well.

A couple years ago we had a parseltongue (snake language) class, so we could also have a fun class to do with animal languages and what they're trying to tell us by their barking and body languages. I know that's probably kind of dumb, but it's an idea nevertheless.
Last edited by Prof. Tom Foster on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Amy Lupin
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin »

I've actually recently just started working on a sign language class, which I'm hoping to teach next term. :)
Lila Rook
No broom

Post by Lila Rook »

What form of sign language is being talked about here? British, American? Just curious because I understand they're quite different - it'd be actually interesting to see how different they are, though maybe a tad confusing. (Not that I know either - well, I remember somebody teaching me some letters in British sign language years ago, and a few stuck - the vowels and g mostly. I don't remember much beyond that.)

As for other classes, I like the language classes. Maybe some more of them for different languages?
Prof. Amy Lupin
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin »

The class would be about the the linguistics of sign languages and would be more general, rather than being based on one specific sign language. I'm most familiar with South African Sign Language but with HOLers coming from various countries, I felt it would be better to give an overview of sign language and then help facilitate the learning of one's own country's sign language (or a sign language of one's choice) through the assignments.
Prof. Polaris Black
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Polaris Black »

I hope you are able to teach the sign language class. My mother has a non-correctable hearing impairment and maybe we can learn together - so count me in!
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Re: What Classes Do You Want To See Happen This Year Coming Up?

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

I'm disappointed I never got to "officially" learn Parseltongue! As tempted as I am to claim it's my native language...
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1500

Post by Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis »

I loved Parseltongue! Weird that it took me so long to acknowledge the snake inside me ;) Any of the language classes are pretty fun. In addition to Parseltongue, I've also taken Hungarian and Sign Language. I'd love to see Arithmancy or something similar to Maya Winters' Cryptic Codes classes. The 7 Wonders of the World was an interesting class too!
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Post by Arianna Stonewater »

This was only my first year, so i don't know what other classes are available, but i loved the HP Families class, i'd love to take it again with different families! I took the Beauxbatons Exchange class this term, i hope the other schools will have a similar program! I wonder what it would be like for us to have a program here? like, to have to show foreign students around and such?

Return to “General Class Discussions”